Is it possible to port OpenLara to Dreamcast?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Is it possible to port OpenLara to Dreamcast?

Post#41 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:27 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Only major thing left to implement now is getting CDDA audio working.

eh, if this was the only flaw, then you would have seen the release long ago :D , but unfortunately there are a lot of flaws and I don’t know how long it will take to fix them
histat used a very old version of openlara, at the moment I'm using the latest version of openlara which works with the second analog stick

Oh wow, so this means it is no longer using the abandoned PSP port as a basis? Wow, so this means now it should fully support the Tomb Raider 2 and 3 games eventually when XProger starts making them more compatible? Awesome work man keep it up! I had no idea there were so many more problems than just getting CDDA working. What kinds of other problems are you guys experiencing?

Dirge Of Ram wrote:All future builds goes well just request for new Lara costumes slots before the level starts if that possible.

I don't know about having a way to select a new costume every time you start a new level, but mods and custom levels are already possible with this.

https://streamable.com/0hk70m

Esppiral
Quad Damage

Post#42 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:34 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Only major thing left to implement now is getting CDDA audio working.

eh, if this was the only flaw, then you would have seen the release long ago :D , but unfortunately there are a lot of flaws and I don’t know how long it will take to fix them
histat used a very old version of openlara, at the moment I'm using the latest version of openlara which works with the second analog stick

What are the benefits of using the latest version of openlara?
The version that was made public had no texture filtering, no shadows and severe fps drops in some areas among other flaws, has any of this improved? Just curious.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#43 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:07 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Oh wow, so this means it is no longer using the abandoned PSP port as a basis?

the old version did not use the PSP port, from the PSP only a library is used to allocate memory in VRAM

there are a lot of problems at the moment, FMV slow down, support for a more suitable format is needed, CDDA does not work, there is no support for some languages, some textures are not displayed correctly in the main menu

Esppiral wrote:What are the benefits of using the latest version of openlara?

this is primarily a bug fix in the engine, histat used the october 2020 version, the engine has received a lot of fixes since then

Esppiral wrote:The version that was made public had no texture filtering, no shadows and severe fps drops in some areas among other flaws, has any of this improved? Just curious.

there is not enough free memory for filtering textures and shadows, FPS has increased significantly due to the transition to the PC version with optimized textures

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#44 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:56 pm

megavolt85 wrote:the old version did not use the PSP port, from the PSP only a library is used to allocate memory in VRAM

Oh thanks I see. I was under the impression he was using the PSP port that was cancled to make this version according to his Tweet here.

https://twitter.com/histat/status/1454172075803877378

megavolt85 wrote:there are a lot of problems at the moment, FMV slow down, support for a more suitable format is needed, CDDA does not work, there is no support for some languages, some textures are not displayed correctly in the main menu

Ah I see there is much more work than I was thinking. Still though it is looking great!

megavolt85 wrote:
Esppiral wrote:The version that was made public had no texture filtering, no shadows and severe fps drops in some areas among other flaws, has any of this improved? Just curious.

there is not enough free memory for filtering textures and shadows, FPS has increased significantly due to the transition to the PC version with optimized textures

Yeah from what Ian showed me you guys got it running at 60fps steadily now. I was not aware about the memory limitations with texture filtering and shadows not being possible. I suppose there is no way to get around that unless there are significant optimizations to either the engine or models and textures?

Esppiral
Quad Damage

Post#45 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:31 am

Anthony817 wrote:
megavolt85 wrote:the old version did not use the PSP port, from the PSP only a library is used to allocate memory in VRAM

Oh thanks I see. I was under the impression he was using the PSP port that was cancled to make this version according to his Tweet here.

https://twitter.com/histat/status/1454172075803877378

megavolt85 wrote:there are a lot of problems at the moment, FMV slow down, support for a more suitable format is needed, CDDA does not work, there is no support for some languages, some textures are not displayed correctly in the main menu

Ah I see there is much more work than I was thinking. Still though it is looking great!

megavolt85 wrote:

Yeah from what Ian showed me you guys got it running at 60fps steadily now. I was not aware about the memory limitations with texture filtering and shadows not being possible. I suppose there is no way to get around that unless there are significant optimizations to either the engine or models and textures?

Messing with the memory I got texture filtering, granted it was under emulation.

Esppiral
Quad Damage

Post#46 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 am

A couple more questions, I understand that advance shadows are out of the table because of memory constrains, but that simple translucent square under Lara could be possible? Also is the improved version available anywhere to test?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#47 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:26 pm

I haven't seen any updated builds yet unfortunately. I think they were wanting to polish the game up some more before releasing new version.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#48 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:03 pm

Esppiral wrote:I understand that advance shadows are out of the table because of memory constrains, but that simple translucent square under Lara could be possible?

Снимок экрана от 2022-01-25 02-01-50.png

Снимок экрана от 2022-01-25 02-01-12.png

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#49 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:42 pm

YES! You got Lara with pony tail hair working! Awesome! Is that also texture filtering I see in the image as well?

azel
fire

Post#50 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:46 pm

I must be in the minority that thinks Tomb Raider 1 looks much better without texture filtering, similar to Quake 1.