Bero's FPS Collection: How to insert the commercial versions of these games other than shareware?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Beefalo
lithium

Bero's FPS Collection: How to insert the commercial versions of these games other than shareware?

Post#1 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:27 pm

If you aren't already aware, this was a very old release that boots into a list to choose from Wolf 3D, Doom, Quake, Hexen, Rise of the Triad, etc - all the good stuff.

I see that the user Anthony817 graciously provided a reupload with some details earlier this year: Subject: FPS Collection disc

Anthony817 wrote:This is a collection of most of the FPS games homebrew developers ported from PC.

Comes with:

Doom
Doom 2 with a few mods included
Duke Nukem 3D (Keyboard required)
Heretic
Hexen
Hexen 2
Marathon Trilogy (Keyboard required)
Quake with a few mods included
Quake 2
Rise of the triad
Wolfenstein 3d
Wolfenstein: Spear of Destiny

Link: https://mega.nz/#!SVFk1I4T!QfGrpJNd56Og ... JKC4QdDsNU

Now, my question:

To ensure this release was "legit" and not warez, Bero included the Shareware versions of these games. It's a great release, but I'd really like to play the full version of Doom or Quake right about now.

What are my options for playing the full versions of these games?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Bero's FPS Collection: How to insert the commercial versions of these games other than shareware?

Post#2 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:32 pm

Quake there is far better releases nuquake radquake etc then these.. you can find them on this forum.. Same with doom

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Bero's FPS Collection: How to insert the commercial versions of these games other than shareware?

Post#3 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:06 pm

Yeah, this was just an old disc I got shared with me from EmuParadise. I just wanted to upload it here for historical reasons. Like Ian said, there are some older engines on this from the turn of the century that have either been updated, or all new source ports brought over to the system. Stuff like Duke Nukem 3D and Hexen 2 as well as the Marathon Trilogy port called Aleph One were never completed. Only the shareware versions work with Duke, and Hexen 2 had some issues. I spoke to Ian about it a while back seeing if it was possible to get Hexen 2 working but I think we both forgot about the conversation this much later in the future hehe. Hexen 2 is a cool game though. Marathon is the precursor to the Halo series which were both created by Bungee. That one sadly has no save support, controller or mouse support. You can only play that with the official Dreamcast keyboard.

mrneo240 was able to compile Aleph One with the latest KOS SDK release, and he is going to release those files soon. However he didn't work on updating the actual port as he had a lot of other ongoing projects. Maybe somebody else can take a look at updating that with controller and save support in the future. As for Duke Nukem, that one runs out of memory unfortunately, so some serious optimizations would have to be made to get that one working. So that was the only reason the shareware version was done.

Beefalo
lithium

Post#4 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:28 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Yeah, this was just an old disc I got shared with me from EmuParadise. I just wanted to upload it here for historical reasons. Like Ian said, there are some older engines on this from the turn of the century that have either been updated, or all new source ports brought over to the system. Stuff like Duke Nukem 3D and Hexen 2 as well as the Marathon Trilogy port called Aleph One were never completed. Only the shareware versions work with Duke, and Hexen 2 had some issues. I spoke to Ian about it a while back seeing if it was possible to get Hexen 2 working but I think we both forgot about the conversation this much later in the future hehe. Hexen 2 is a cool game though. Marathon is the precursor to the Halo series which were both created by Bungee. That one sadly has no save support, controller or mouse support. You can only play that with the official Dreamcast keyboard.

mrneo240 was able to compile Aleph One with the latest KOS SDK release, and he is going to release those files soon. However he didn't work on updating the actual port as he had a lot of other ongoing projects. Maybe somebody else can take a look at updating that with controller and save support in the future. As for Duke Nukem, that one runs out of memory unfortunately, so some serious optimizations would have to be made to get that one working. So that was the only reason the shareware version was done.

Thank you for the detailed reply... actually, thank you for the countless detailed posts of yours I've been reading for quite some time now. Whenever I'm searching a Dreamcast forum looking for an answer, I end up finding you a lot of the time.

That was the other thing I wondered just after submitting this, if anyone ever ported Duke 3D with controller support as the one in Bero's collection requires keyboard/mouse. I do have both a DC keyboard and mouse, I just prefer to play lounging back in front of my Sony Trinitron!