Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderator: VasiliyRS

xjanx
shadow
Posts: 9

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#81 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:17 pm

MarkCerny wrote:
tokyo-j wrote:
xjanx wrote:
Ah, ok, interesting.
I actually thought the opposite is the case and Atomiswave was more powerfull :lol:

Ok, then Naomi might be not so easy to convert...too bad, there were still several games being unreleased yet :cry:


Which unreleased games? I have a Naomi system and I thought I had most of the games already.


He may be referring to Naomi games that haven't been ported to the Dreamcast, as Jambo Safari or Virtua NBA.

Regarding AtomisWave, I think I've recently seen a soccer game called PREMIER ELEVEN developed by DIMPS, that was cancelled, but seemed to be almost finished or at least playable. A similar situation as Force Five or Kenju.

Would be interesting to see it dumped and ported. Most Dreamcast soccer games were below average. While Virtua Striker 2 is pure fun, would be nice to have another good soccer game.


Yes, that's what I meant :)

What I would love to see on DC would be for example Virtua Fighter 4

MarkCerny
shadow
Posts: 9

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#82 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:15 pm

xjanx wrote:
What I would love to see on DC would be for example Virtua Fighter 4


That's a Naomi 2 game. Same with Virtua Striker 3, Beach Spikers and King of Route.

It would need some extreme optimization and a significant downgrade to reprogram those games and make them run on a Dreamcast. Probably at a lower resolution mode (512*400) with blurry textures and lower polygon count, I can see them running on the Dreamcast at 60fps.

slivercr
core
Posts: 127

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#83 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:27 pm

MarkCerny wrote:
xjanx wrote:
What I would love to see on DC would be for example Virtua Fighter 4


That's a Naomi 2 game. Same with Virtua Striker 3, Beach Spikers and King of Route.

It would need some extreme optimization and a significant downgrade to reprogram those games and make them run on a Dreamcast. Probably at a lower resolution mode (512*400) with blurry textures and lower polygon count, I can see them running on the Dreamcast at 60fps.


I think any of those is aiming too high.

I confess that I have always hoped for Monkey Ball on the Dreamcast.

User avatar
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Posts: 3895
Contact:

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#84 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:50 pm

Bump
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

User avatar
Ian Micheal
Developer
Posts: 2691
Contact:

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#85 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:01 pm

MarkCerny wrote:
xjanx wrote:
What I would love to see on DC would be for example Virtua Fighter 4


That's a Naomi 2 game. Same with Virtua Striker 3, Beach Spikers and King of Route.

It would need some extreme optimization and a significant downgrade to reprogram those games and make them run on a Dreamcast. Probably at a lower resolution mode (512*400) with blurry textures and lower polygon count, I can see them running on the Dreamcast at 60fps.


I dont think that would help at all.. Naomi 2 has 2 cpus double every thing

more like 320x240

User avatar
stry8993
undertow
Posts: 33

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#86 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:42 am

Hey folks, question, are the GDEmu Clones prone to hard lock ups with Atomiswave games. So far, I've gotten hard lock/freezes on Metal Slug 6, King of Fighters XI, and Dolphin Blue. Is there any way to mitigate this?

slivercr
core
Posts: 127

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#87 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:32 am

stry8993 wrote:Hey folks, question, are the GDEmu Clones prone to hard lock ups with Atomiswave games. So far, I've gotten hard lock/freezes on Metal Slug 6, King of Fighters XI, and Dolphin Blue. Is there any way to mitigate this?


Not way to mitigate at the moment. It was brought up to attention a while ago and confirmed by some of the older members of the forum in a GDEmu clones thread. There are a lot of recommendations floating around the different release threads: defragging your SD card, getting better SD cards, using Class4 SD cards, etc. Personally I've tried all those things and still have errors.

I am of the hypothesis that the lockups are not exclusive to clones, but also happening on official GDEmus and even other ODEs—its just that people are not testing the games for long enough. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

---
EDIT: here's the clones thread if you want to read it
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13628

trekts
dark night
Posts: 50

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#88 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:08 am

slivercr wrote:
stry8993 wrote:Hey folks, question, are the GDEmu Clones prone to hard lock ups with Atomiswave games. So far, I've gotten hard lock/freezes on Metal Slug 6, King of Fighters XI, and Dolphin Blue. Is there any way to mitigate this?


Not way to mitigate at the moment. It was brought up to attention a while ago and confirmed by some of the older members of the forum in a GDEmu clones thread. There are a lot of recommendations floating around the different release threads: defragging your SD card, getting better SD cards, using Class4 SD cards, etc. Personally I've tried all those things and still have errors.

I am of the hypothesis that the lockups are not exclusive to clones, but also happening on official GDEmus and even other ODEs—its just that people are not testing the games for long enough. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

---
EDIT: here's the clones thread if you want to read it
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... =5&t=13628


I was playing Metal Slug 6 today and experienced a random lock-up at the end of the first stage. I restarted the game, and ended up completing the hard mode without a lock-up. Lock-ups are hard to pinpoint w/ these particular titles because sometimes they're beatable other times you might have to restart the game 2 or 3 times and hope that the fourth time you can finish it. i don't think lock ups are exclusive to clones either as evidenced that some users here are experiencing issues with various odes.

p1pkin
shadow
Posts: 7

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#89 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:31 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
MarkCerny wrote:
xjanx wrote:
What I would love to see on DC would be for example Virtua Fighter 4


That's a Naomi 2 game. Same with Virtua Striker 3, Beach Spikers and King of Route.

It would need some extreme optimization and a significant downgrade to reprogram those games and make them run on a Dreamcast. Probably at a lower resolution mode (512*400) with blurry textures and lower polygon count, I can see them running on the Dreamcast at 60fps.


I dont think that would help at all.. Naomi 2 has 2 cpus double every thing

more like 320x240

how about "no" ? Naomi2 = Katana/Dreamcast + one more PowerVR2/HOLLY + T&L "ELAN" coprocessor. there is no "double every thing", who told you that bullshit ?

also, renderer resolution is not a problem, in average scenes N2 games do not exceed single PVR2 fill rate capabilities.
video RAM size is not a big problem too - there possible to use VQ-compressed textures instead of plain ones, with no notable difference in games, just look at Crazy Taxi for example - you will not notice a difference there if compare Dreamcast and NAOMI versions.
the real bottle necks - polygon transformations and lighting calculations, handled by ELAN in Naomi2. main SH4 CPU is too weak to calculate all of that with decent speed.

User avatar
Ian Micheal
Developer
Posts: 2691
Contact:

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#90 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:08 am

Yes little bit over simple i should of said with out the other sh4 the main is to weak to do these games with out complete rewrite it did take them a team with up to 100 people 6 months to port NAOMI games to work on dreamcast cost in the millions.. this not going to happen we have no source code any ways..

Just pie in the sky stuff..

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users