Doom for Dreamcast Chilly Willy's version help/info

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Doom for Dreamcast Chilly Willy's version help/info

Post#21 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:07 am

I'm sorry very close to building it very frustrating good thing about this port is you can play it online vs other people.. it had bba and modem support

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#22 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:39 am

I got it to build now to test it.. that only took 2 days..

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#23 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:56 am

Ok i got it built and working no colour txt every thing else is working fine Now i can try to do something as far as what was requested.. Be nice to test networking since i built this with new kos networking it may work better then the other..

willis
letterbomb

Post#24 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:12 am

Ian that is amazing! This port did have network support so I feel this could be the 'definitive' doom ports if you get those issues fixed up.

" Ian Micheal's Definitive Doom Collection "*
*based on chilly willy's port, based on Doom for the PSP Version 1.4 by Chilly Willy based on ADoomPPC version 1.7 by Jarmo Laakkonen based on ADoomPPC version 1.3 by
Joseph Fenton based on ADoom version 1.2 by Peter McGavin.

****found that list of contributors from the readme file haha!

So do you feel confident that all those issues could be ironed out? I'm excited that you got it built and working!

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#25 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:51 am

set youtube to 720p 60fps to see real speed on hardware..

Willis i think so even built with much updated compiler it's running better.. I have it loading and returning to dcmc now.. I did port quake way back fully complete every feature including vmu rumble full config cdda modlist etc even the doom guy on the vmu that moves to your health bar..

so you could make a ID software DCMC disk.. i suppose now i have to get wolf 3d working and returning to dcmc lol..

Main thing will be making the menu config much nicer right now there is no color txt so you dont know what option your on.. i had to do this as the custom biosfont just did not work on new kos ..

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#26 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:10 am

Amazing news! Can't wait to see how you update it!

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#27 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:38 am

I never touched this port before. I wanna give it a go. I always used nxDoom back in the day. It was actually how I beat DOOM for the very first time. Ian thanks as always for your dedication

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Chev
shadow

Post#28 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:08 am

Congratulations IAN friend, this is great news.
Comrade Willis, who did a very good review, put 3 points that are provodential.

1 - 640x480 slowdown (it looks really great though!),
Because we have software rendering it may be more difficult. (but any advance in that part would be perfect!

2 - need to be able to map controls or have layout like in other ports

3 - no way to quit back to menu.

It would be very important to adjust the menus and buttons, it is very difficult to invite a friend or explain to someone how the controls work, everything is very complex, the lack of accessibility, it is unfortunately something that amazes.
I don't remember what the Playstation or N64 ports looked like, but I think a control similar to the N64 would be good for the similarities.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#29 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:10 pm

Ian just did what now! I can't wait to try all this stuff out.

Just need to hide some money from the wife get one of those GDEMU things or a serial sd card, striker DC controller or the maple widget, dchdmi thingamajig, fit a new battery, PSU and fan, back up all my old games and find a spare few hours at the weekend and I'm I'll be all set for sometime in 2021. Good news I just bought a HP e232 monitor just for the DC - one step at a time :)

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#30 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:49 pm

GDEMU has way better compatibility than the serial SD adapter. Just an FYI. GDEMU is about 100% as far as retail games go. But the official Bleem emu discs are being cracked completely to run on the device as well since it has crazy protections. So those are basically the only thing that doesn't run form it, or any of the ODE's for that matter.