Doom for Dreamcast Chilly Willy's version help/info

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Doom for Dreamcast Chilly Willy's version help/info

Post#11 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:36 pm

It was is a great update port .. i will see with my tool chains if it can compile from src.. I add sh4 math and returning to DCMC like the amiga collection.. thats the if it can compile.. lot of old homebrew you need things that dont exist any more.. i will let you know..

Chev
shadow

Post#12 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:05 pm

willis wrote:The source is in the download links:

https://dcemulation.org/?title=Doom_for_Dreamcast

I think in the plain (or the .sbi for that matter) files they are listed in the src folder. If you could work your magic on it Ian that would be fantastic! I hope I'm not the only one that would really like a full featured Doom set ha! If it only supports 4 wads then maybe the source could be dug into support more on a single disc.
I myself would be extremely greatful for just having Doom,Doom2,Final Doom with full features.

Come on,

I think I can help,
Really MR Chilly's version is sensational, it has a different quality compared to any other, it is close to a professional port as we see nuquake!

I had a little adventure these days and explain where you went wrong and how to get it right.

Well the original tutorial asks you to use the sbi file, but what happens is that it does not have the necessary files for the boot, ex ip.bin.
And the selfboot inducer creation process has complications for noobs like you or me!

Then do the following, on this link here:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_for_the_DC

1 - Download the file v1.4 - Plain Files. (Forget sbi version)

2 - unzip Plain Files (anywhere you remember)

3 - Download bootdreams

https://code.google.com/archive/p/bootdreams/downloads

The executable version itself.

4 - Once installed, open it and where it says "browse", point to the folder plain files (the one you extracted) “2”

5 - check if the cd label has a common name without space and special characters.
If not already, choose the Disc format option:
Audio \ Data
Click process!

And ready, you will have Doom working.

If you are not going to play on Dreamcast, the Flycast emulator has a bug that does not show Gui. (you can play by pressing B without looking at the options)
For this game, prefer Redream or NullDC!

Hope this helps!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:46 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:It was is a great update port .. i will see with my tool chains if it can compile from src.. I add sh4 math and returning to DCMC like the amiga collection.. thats the if it can compile.. lot of old homebrew you need things that dont exist any more.. i will let you know..

Ah indeed it was. But like yourself I did mostly play that mods collection disc more since it just allowed more bang for the buck as it were. However, a version of Doom with full on rumble and a lot of mods would be pretty great! :mrgreen:

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#14 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:05 pm

Chev wrote:
willis wrote:The source is in the download links:

https://dcemulation.org/?title=Doom_for_Dreamcast

I think in the plain (or the .sbi for that matter) files they are listed in the src folder. If you could work your magic on it Ian that would be fantastic! I hope I'm not the only one that would really like a full featured Doom set ha! If it only supports 4 wads then maybe the source could be dug into support more on a single disc.
I myself would be extremely greatful for just having Doom,Doom2,Final Doom with full features.

Come on,

I think I can help,
Really MR Chilly's version is sensational, it has a different quality compared to any other, it is close to a professional port as we see nuquake!

I had a little adventure these days and explain where you went wrong and how to get it right.

Well the original tutorial asks you to use the sbi file, but what happens is that it does not have the necessary files for the boot, ex ip.bin.
And the selfboot inducer creation process has complications for noobs like you or me!

Then do the following, on this link here:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_for_the_DC

1 - Download the file v1.4 - Plain Files. (Forget sbi version)

2 - unzip Plain Files (anywhere you remember)

3 - Download bootdreams

https://code.google.com/archive/p/bootdreams/downloads

The executable version itself.

4 - Once installed, open it and where it says "browse", point to the folder plain files (the one you extracted) “2”

5 - check if the cd label has a common name without space and special characters.
If not already, choose the Disc format option:
Audio \ Data
Click process!

And ready, you will have Doom working.

If you are not going to play on Dreamcast, the Flycast emulator has a bug that does not show Gui. (you can play by pressing B without looking at the options)
For this game, prefer Redream or NullDC!

Hope this helps!

It's a good port it has custom kos bios font changes which makes it hard to update on modern kos

willis
letterbomb

Post#15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:08 pm

I believe it works! I was doing everything right in the first place, but Chev brought this:

"If you are not going to play on Dreamcast, the Flycast emulator has a bug that does not show Gui. (you can play by pressing B without looking at the options)"

That was my main hangup as I was using that to test out the .cdi image and it would go to a blank screen. So I thought it wasn't working, when probably the entire time it technically was ha!

willis
letterbomb

Post#16 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:47 am

Well did some initial overall testing..... my overall opinion is positive ha! There area quite a few features that are really nice to have and some issues that hold it back (for now at least). Here is a little rundown:

Mouse, keyboard, and joypad controls ----> check, works
Force-feedback (Jump Pack) ----> check, works
Stats on the VMU LCD ----> check, works
Load/save options and games from/to VMU ----> check, works
NTSC, PAL, and VGA support ----> check, works
MIDI/MUS music, and stereo sound effects ----> check, works

The features that really stood out were the jump pack, save/load on vmu, and the screen resolution support. The jump pack is a great addition when playing, but it seems very low and hardly noticeable when using the pistol. It increases a little bit more for shotgun, but really stands on when using the chain gun! It does feel great using the chain gun and the pack is rumbling! I didn't get a chance to test out the other weapons to see what they did however. I wonder in the source if one could increase the values of the feedback and make the pistol and shotgun stand out a bit more.
Saving and loading on the VMU was really nice and easy and it even had nice little icon pics in the VMU file manager. As far as resolution is concerned, it detects if you are using a regular TV or a Monitor and you can adjust 320x240 or 640x480. I testing it out on both types (regular and monitor) with both resolution settings. It looks pretty good on a regular one (to be expected) but i looks great coming out of the DCHDMI I have in my Dreamcast on the HD flatscreen. Only problem with that is if you have the 640x480 enabled the game really slows down in the framerate while playing. One thing I found odd was if you did play in the 640x480 your control was set to regular walk speed as you moved around. However at 320x240 it was defaulted to run speed and you moved around fast.
The stats on the VMU are a nice welcome as well. They are very minimal and have simple letters and numbers letting you know how much of what left. Simple layout but nice to have if you just want to run full screen size with no HUD
A 00 (ammo)
H 00 (Health)
R 00 (Armor)
CR - CB - card colors you have obtianed

One really downer was there really isn't a controller config so the button layout and actions are something that I'm still figuring out. Analog stick or D-pad move you around, trigger buttons strafe, A button fires, B button interacts with doors/switches. That's all fine and good, but things get strange after that. In order to access the map you have to press start and X at the same time. Start and B pauses the game. Start and A brings up the menu. I could be off on those exact buttons but you do in fact have to press start and other buttons which I felt was odd. If there were only a button config like most other doom mods that work great on the Dreamcast.

I did encounter some crashing though.... I have to see if I can replicate how/why it did. Maybe something that can be further explained or fixed with the source if someone was inclined to do so.

Also, maybe a question for Ian, but how tough would it be to implement some 'menu' screens instead of the text showing basic menu navigation? Give it a classy new menu look. Also any insight to maybe be able to increase the frame rate performance when in 640x480? I really do feel if chilly's work could be applied to all the mods in the 2 disk collections, then it would be the ultimate doom experience on the Dreamcast.

I could be the only one excited about some new Doom on the Dreamcast, but It was really cool playing around with Chilly's doom.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#17 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:11 am

This is using software framebuffer so 640x480 always going to be slow not using the gpu at all.. not got it to compile yet it needs me to mod kos and parts of it rebuild my tool chain for it then test.. i have to apply diff patches to files to get this to try to build.. Text parts are custom and i have no idea why he did this like this using bios font with colors modding kos not his port..

Thanks for the proper review as well .. it help if i get this built not as scary as bero's code but it's close..

willis
letterbomb

Post#18 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention above.... One huge thing that is missing is that you cannot exit one game and go back to the menu. When you quit a game, it looks like it 'shuts down' the program and goes blank. So you have to restart the Dreamcast and start again. I also couldn't find out how to switch weapons using the controller, only using the keyboard, so I will have to play around with it more. Sorely missing a complete button config

If you could get it running faster with the GPU in the 640×480 mode that would be awesome. The game looks great running in that resolution on a HD display. Hell even on a standard TV it looks pretty good, but def can't compare to the higher definition.

3 things holding this port back:

-640x480 slowdown (it looks really great though!)
-need to be able to map controls or have layout like in other ports
-no way to quit back to menu

Thanks for digging into it Ian, that is extremely cool of you. Interested in other tidbits you find out.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#19 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:51 pm

I did try porting the diff files over hand about 3 hours it still does not build i dont know what version of kos they used.. i try 1.3v 2.0 still no go for building it from src..

willis
letterbomb

Post#20 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:35 pm

That's a bummer to hear Ian. I really appreciate you taking the time and diving in, but don't let it get in the way of something else you may have been working on.
(fingers crossed getting Bero's Aleph one port fully working)

Do you happen to know if chilly willy is even around anymore? I'm not familiar with other forums to know where he typically posted besides the DCEmulation and I'm not registered over there to try and contact him directly.