Doom for Dreamcast Chilly Willy's version help/info

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

willis
letterbomb

Re: Doom for Dreamcast Chilly Willy's version help/info

Post#31 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Another feature that I didn't mention was that this port also has network support! So multiplayer would be there for all to enjoy.

I do have a question about that aspect though. Do you guys know when playing doom in multiplayer, can you have it co-op or is it a deathmatch affair?

Ian, you are a wizard and I'm greatful for you being you! Please keep updates coming with progress with fixing issues and making this the definitive doom collection to get. I have more thoughts/ideas when some of the issues get worked out.

I also am going to run some more tests to see if other things pop up that can be improved upon.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#32 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:49 pm

Since it's based on the original Linux Doom source code, it will follow vanilla Doom's rules, I imagine. So that means it supports deathmatch and co-op gameplay, but not many other features. Four-player support is standard, I believe. Presumably, chasecam support is there as well if you kick the bucket and have to watch through another player's POV.

willis
letterbomb

Post#33 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:18 pm

That's alright with me though. Deathmatch will be for up to 4 players for sure, but I was really hoping it would have co-op so I could play that mode. Never got a chance to play it back then so now would be really fun with co-op!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#34 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:14 am

So some guy actually got coop working on this about 6 months back. I guess they are both playing with modem. I would think maybe the lag is because slow frame rate, so would be great to see how well it runs in Ian's new build.

He said this in the description: "I had troubleshooting issues for days before I figured out I had to configure the 2nd ISP profile in order to use the Modem Connect option. This is a 34 minute cut of 2.5 hours worth of footage. There was some lag, but we managed to complete the entire first episode, Knee Deep in the Dead, over the internet."

I never seen anybody else get it working before so this seems to be the key how you do it.

willis
letterbomb

Post#35 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks for that Anthony! I think sometime today I will do some testing just to see if I can at least get it to connect and what kind of process it is ha!

I did find this link which gives a run down if that helps with anything on helpful info.

https://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/ph ... online.php

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#36 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:35 am

what would be the best port to set .. Right now og is set cant be changed from 5029? what do the guys use here or would be best..

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#37 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:07 pm

Ah not sure. I think maybe he said something about it in the video but as it is super long would have to listen to full thing maybe. He mentions something in the first 5 and last 5 mins I believe.

willis
letterbomb

Post#38 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:13 pm

Did a little bit more basic testing and found some issues that maybe you've already resolved Ian. First is that the game crashes on Doom 1 (not sure about shareware version) if you just let it sit there on the title/menu screen for a short time. If you just hurry up and make your selection it seems to be fine and runs.

Secondly I couldn't get into any network settings in the main boot menu as of course if you don't have a BBA and line plugged in the network option is colored red. I assume because upon initial boot the Dreamcast doesn't detect anything plugged in. However if I do plug in a line (I have a BBA) and start up the DC it tries to boot the game and then just sits at a black screen and I don't see any menu at all. Like it just gets hung up on something and doesn't load.
Normally the screen does go black for a short time, then you can hear the DC read something real quick and the main menu pops up. If I have a bba line plugged in I don't ever hear that last quick read before the menu and it just sit there at black screen.

***edit
I'm not sure what version they are using in that video. It's definitely different than the one I'm running as I'm using the lastest v1.4
I say that because in my menu selection screen I don't even see the option for 'modem connect' that is right below network settings. So I wonder id chilly just completely remove this in the v1.4 release?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#39 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:10 pm

You need correct doom wad for it to show the network menu also need to have it set and ready as it boots or not show up at all.. I posted and updated version in the other thread.. 1.4v has all those functions in the video.. Code base I'm using has all the network code enabled.. why i posted the plainfiles networking does not work with the shareware wad included
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BananaXX
undertow

Post#40 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:10 pm

willis wrote:***edit
I'm not sure what version they are using in that video. It's definitely different than the one I'm running as I'm using the lastest v1.4
I say that because in my menu selection screen I don't even see the option for 'modem connect' that is right below network settings. So I wonder id chilly just completely remove this in the v1.4 release?

In your first post you provided the link to dcemulation with the links for Doom for Dreamcast. At the bottom there is a v1.5b1, maybe that's what they used in that video?