Getting .bin and .cue files to work on GDEMU?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ateam
Animated Violence

Re: Getting .bin and .cue files to work on GDEMU?

Post#11 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:16 am

To be clear, the process of converting a Redump-style CUE/BIN of a "fits on a CD-ROM" game (indie or MIL-CD) to CDI is as follows...

Use isofix (https://github.com/arthabus/DreamcastCdiTool/raw/master/DreamcastCdiTool/isofix.exe) to convert the data track to an extractable ISO. To determine which is the data track, refer to the Redump info page for the rip. For example, here's a disc with its data track as 13: http://redump.org/disc/66404/.

When prompted for LBA, refer to the Redump page again and note the start of session 2 (e.g., 190412).

The fixed.iso file generated by isofix can be extracted by any number of tools, such as 7-Zip or IsoBuster.

Once the data track is extracted, your next step is to convert the disc image's CDDA tracks to WAV using bin2wav (https://github.com/saramibreak/bin2wav). This utility is pointed directly at a Redump disc image's CUE file and will output all audio tracks as WAV files.

Next, fire up BootDreams (https://github.com/TItanGuy99/BootDreams), being sure to place all the newly converted WAV files into the cdda folder if your source disc image uses CDDA. Then, tell BootDreams where your extracted data track resides, after which you can generate an Alcohol 120% image if the source disc image is using CDDA. If CDDA is unnecessary, choose to generate a DiscJuggler CDI.

If your source disc image had CDDA and thus you now have an Alcohol 120% MDF/MDS, use an application like Daemon Tools to mount it to a virtual drive. From there, DiscJuggler can be used to rip that virtual disc to a CDI.

EDIT: I'd like to clarify that I am NOT sharing this information in order to condone the pirating of indie titles that are currently available for sale and thus still directly profiting hard-working developers. However, I know many of us no longer have optical drives in our home computers, thus preventing us from ripping our own legally purchased Dreamcast indie games.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#12 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:24 pm

Isobuster v5 can extract mil-cd bin/cue, bin/cue with audio. Just open up the cue file.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

ateam
Animated Violence

Post#13 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:38 pm

MoeFoh wrote:Isobuster v5 can extract mil-cd bin/cue, bin/cue with audio. Just open up the cue file.

I had no idea, thanks! I actually just went ahead and purchased a full license for IsoBuster 5.0. It was about time :lol:

So in the case of using this newer version of IsoBuster, one just needs to extract the data track and then export the audio tracks as WAV files. After that, BootDreams can be used as described in my previous post to generate the new disc image.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#14 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:55 pm

ateam wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:Isobuster v5 can extract mil-cd bin/cue, bin/cue with audio. Just open up the cue file.

I had no idea, thanks! I actually just went ahead and purchased a full license for IsoBuster 5.0. It was about time :lol:

So in the case of using this newer version of IsoBuster, one just needs to extract the data track and then export the audio tracks as WAV files. After that, BootDreams can be used as described in my previous post to generate the new disc image.

I've bought the full license, too. Peter, the sole author of Isobuster is a great guy. I did the Dreamcast image testing for him on v5.
Last edited by MoeFoh on Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#15 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:11 pm

However, I know many of us no longer have optical drives in our home computers, thus preventing us from ripping our own legally purchased Dreamcast indie games.

NO EXCUSES, PIRATE ACTIVITY IS MONITORED AND PIRATES WILL BE BANNED!!!

mods please perma ban user animekai for posting links to a telegram group filled with piracy

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#16 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:12 pm

wonderfulwardy wrote:What if the game is an Indie game and cannot be found anywhere on the internet in CDI format?
such as 'Rush Rush Rally Reloaded'.

Buy the game, don't be a filthy thief

ateam
Animated Violence

Post#17 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:49 am

deluxux wrote:
However, I know many of us no longer have optical drives in our home computers, thus preventing us from ripping our own legally purchased Dreamcast indie games.

mods please perma ban user animekai for posting links to a telegram group filled with piracy

Serious question, do you actually believe that I don’t monetarily support the Dreamcast indie developers? I’d be sincerely sad if you held such a low opinion of me, deluxx.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#18 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:09 am

ateam wrote:
deluxux wrote:

Serious question, do you actually believe that I don’t monetarily support the Dreamcast indie developers? I’d be sincerely sad if you held such a low opinion of me, deluxx.

No not talking about you at all.

pitoloko
noob

Post#19 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:39 am

I just implemented command line support for the program, so that everyone can use it via the command line according to their needs.

You can download my modified version of the original program, from here:

https://github.com/ElektroStudios/gdidrop

All credits goes to the original author, who is the one developed the original program and who implemented the conversion algorithm. I have only implemented certain additions that make its use more accessible and versatile.

Enjoy!

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#20 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:13 pm

Also did an update to the original GDIDROP:

https://github.com/AwfulBear/RedumpCUE2GDI
- Charles Bukowski