What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Cass
MegaDeath

Re: What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Post#111 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:33 pm

I think the Palm version of WINCE was embedded on a ROM chip in those old Packard Bell Easybooks. From memory someone got the desktop environment from the this version of WINCE to at least boot an on the DC a few years ago which is interesting but I don't think there is much that can really be done beyond that.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#112 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:25 am

Easiest port would be something with entire asset + game code open source

SG6K
rebel

Post#113 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:02 am

Source code to Defender might be fun for someone to play around with (personally I'd like to see Master System and PC Engine versions but I wouldn't say no to fresh Dreamcast source port):

https://github.com/mwenge/defender

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#114 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:04 am

Cass wrote:I think the Palm version of WINCE was embedded on a ROM chip in those old Packard Bell Easybooks. From memory someone got the desktop environment from the this version of WINCE to at least boot an on the DC a few years ago which is interesting but I don't think there is much that can really be done beyond that.

Could you show more about this please? I remember seeing some Windows CE stuff over at TIZ when I used to be over there. I had asked people repeatedly about what it was and why it was there but nobody ever could come up with any info about it. It was called Windows CE loader for Dreamcast and supposedly people said it was for loading up apps from that on DC but nobody could ever figure out what to do with it.

If that is the case I believe it was one of the first things uploaded there back when it was still separate sites for each console when it was called DCISOZONE. So it must have been uploaded sometime in 2008 if my memory serves me correctly.

Here is the old page for it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180816210 ... ce-loader/

I think Atreyu187 of ReviveDC looked at this and said it wasn't real or working or something. My memory may be fuzzy though.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#115 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:37 am

SG6K wrote:Source code to Defender might be fun for someone to play around with (personally I'd like to see Master System and PC Engine versions but I wouldn't say no to fresh Dreamcast source port):

mame-dc exists

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#116 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:12 am

Anthony817 wrote:
Cass wrote:I think the Palm version of WINCE was embedded on a ROM chip in those old Packard Bell Easybooks. From memory someone got the desktop environment from the this version of WINCE to at least boot an on the DC a few years ago which is interesting but I don't think there is much that can really be done beyond that.

Could you show more about this please? I remember seeing some Windows CE stuff over at TIZ when I used to be over there. I had asked people repeatedly about what it was and why it was there but nobody ever could come up with any info about it. It was called Windows CE loader for Dreamcast and supposedly people said it was for loading up apps from that on DC but nobody could ever figure out what to do with it.

If that is the case I believe it was one of the first things uploaded there back when it was still separate sites for each console when it was called DCISOZONE. So it must have been uploaded sometime in 2008 if my memory serves me correctly.

Here is the old page for it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180816210 ... ce-loader/

I think Atreyu187 of ReviveDC looked at this and said it wasn't real or working or something. My memory may be fuzzy though.

Anthony817 I was wrong, it was la bit ess than I thought it was unfortunately but still interesting. It was a shell of wince 2.11 that mrneo240 and others took a look at a few years back.

https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10033

SG6K
rebel

Post#117 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:25 am

mrneo240 wrote:
SG6K wrote:Source code to Defender might be fun for someone to play around with (personally I'd like to see Master System and PC Engine versions but I wouldn't say no to fresh Dreamcast source port):

mame-dc exists

Indeed it does but a skillfully optimised source port will almost always be preferable to play than an emulation solution by virtue of not being hamstrung by emulation lag.

Not to mention that an official port of Defender already exists too (on Midway Arcade Hits Vol.1) - and yet I'd still jump on a port made by the community in a flash.

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#118 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:31 pm

Loved Micropose back in the day and it would have been great to get some of their mid 90's classics on DC like GP2, European Air War. Still cut up about GP3 getting canned on DC.

You'd have thought by this time they might have released some of the source code from that classic period but not to be. It's amazing that some of their back catalogue from the 90's are still getting mods and updates on PC.

I kind of just went down a memory hole here and was trying to figure out a Quake rip off that I played in a mates house for a few hours in the 90's. I thought it was really good but I couldn't remember the name well turns out it's called Chasm the Rift - anyone else remember this, it's pretty obscure?

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#119 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:20 pm

Extreme-G 3, the PS2 source was leaked in 2015. Would make a great new entry/port from the same generation of games.

And Forsaken too. That would be a quality DC title.
As would Wipeout Pulse from the PSP - afterall JoshProd has converted PSP and/or Vita games to DC before

hemipode
shadow

Post#120 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:35 am

La Mulana, the first version that looks like an MSX title. God I love that game