CANCELLED GTA 3 DREAMCAST PORT - BRIEF HISTORY AND QUESTIONS POSED

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

gamesreup
killer

CANCELLED GTA 3 DREAMCAST PORT - BRIEF HISTORY AND QUESTIONS POSED

Post#1 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:13 am

Hi All,

Did a little video talking about the cancelled GTA 3 port onto the king of consoles..... the Dreamcast.

Hope you like it! Part of me still hopes it happens to some degree.

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Re: CANCELLED GTA 3 DREAMCAST PORT - BRIEF HISTORY AND QUESTIONS POSED

Post#2 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:41 pm

We hope this game will be released in internet if exists a prototype...
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:20 pm

I have spoken to a friend that collected betas for the DC and other consoles and was pretty active in that scene, he said for sure a friend he spoke to that used to work at Rockstar said they have code there locked up in a vault. It will most likely never see the day even if what he said was true. From what I gather it was very early code and much different from the final PS2 release. How much different? I would love to know.

At least we got GTA 2, and that definitely is modable on DC. I have seen camera perspective mods for the game where it gives a more tilted camera kinda like Chinatown Wars. But it makes me wonder if anybody knows of any 3D car model mods for GTA 2? I know for a fact that levels and car sprites and even missions could be changed and made from scratch. GTA 1 maps and cars ported over could be achieved as well. All new missions too or even recreating the missions from the first game on PC seems like a theoretical possibility at least.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#4 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:46 pm

I was content with some prototype of the World’s Scariest Police Chases:

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:49 pm

Don't see the image sire

Also I thought GTA2 was a lazy port, every time I entered vehicle the radio just fucking restarts!! And another confirmed the same incidence with me

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Post#6 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:58 am

mistamontiel wrote:Don't see the image sire

Also I thought GTA2 was a lazy port, every time I entered vehicle the radio just fucking restarts!! And another confirmed the same incidence with me

Very lazy port, restart radio it's not only problem, Dreamcast port GTA2 don't have car damage animation and don't have car headlights.
In video i compare GTA2 DC vs PC vs PS1 https://vimeo.com/288930008

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#7 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:54 am

Read a comment on the video about similarities with crazy taxi which I'd never considered before. Would a GTA3 style game have been possible given the limitations of the console. I've no idea but does Crazy Taxi give us a wierd glimpse into what a theoretical GTA3 style game would've looked like on the DC. It's a bit of a leap but Crazy Taxi does have a sprawling city, tons of traffic, lots of NPC's. It's very cardboard cut out compared to GTA3 and a completely different type of game but let's say let's the code for crazy taxi was open source could it modded to walk around the city and jack different cars - probably. It would still be a million miles away from a GTA3 style game but I think it would make the point that that type of sand box environment might just be achievable in some form on a DC.

louis012345678
Doom

Post#8 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:56 am

Cass wrote:Read a comment on the video about similarities with crazy taxi which I'd never considered before. Would a GTA3 style game have been possible given the limitations of the console. I've no idea but does Crazy Taxi give us a wierd glimpse into what a theoretical GTA3 style game would've looked like on the DC. It's a bit of a leap but Crazy Taxi does have a sprawling city, tons of traffic, lots of NPC's. It's very cardboard cut out compared to GTA3 and a completely different type of game but let's say let's the code for crazy taxi was open source could it modded to walk around the city and jack different cars - probably. It would still be a million miles away from a GTA3 style game but I think it would make the point that that type of sand box environment might just be achievable in some form on a DC.

That's an interesting analogy that I never would've even considered, but makes a lot of sense when you actually think about it. Huh...

beanboy
Wazza

Post#9 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:57 am

Interestingly, people always seem to forget, that Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Legend of Zelda, and Metropolis Street Racer, were some of the 3d games, that inspired alot of open world 3d games, that came on consoles later on. Even in an interview years ago, a GTA dev said that Shenmue was a big inspiration, that helped push rockstar to make the open world 3d gameplay of GTA.

MondoGecko
minority

Post#10 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:46 pm

Ivan Guber wrote:
mistamontiel wrote:Don't see the image sire

Very lazy port, restart radio it's not only problem, Dreamcast port GTA2 don't have car damage animation and don't have car headlights.
In video i compare GTA2 DC vs PC vs PS1 https://vimeo.com/288930008

Very interesting, I wonder if someone would be able to fix these issues