Virtua Fighter 3 and Modding Capabilities

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

beanboy
Wazza

Re: Virtua Fighter 3 and Modding Capabilities

Post#11 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:19 pm

I think that is one of the reasons, why some Fighting Vipers fans were not happy with the sequel, that was released and ported onto the dreamcast. Some seemed to call it a rushed poor mans port. Also, I like sega's graphical style, but imagine if Fighting Vipers 2, graphically looked a bit close to DOA2 on the dreamcast. :shock:

beanboy
Wazza

Post#12 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:41 pm

cloofoofoo wrote:
beanboy wrote:I think it might be possible to do something, that is about 80% close to the arcade version.

What? According to genki the game is about 90% polygon count accurate to the arcade version despite not even having finished Dreamcast tools when they started porting. It's alot closer to the arcade version than fighting vipers 2 was to it's arcade version ported by am2 themselves in 2001.

Yeah true.

ZTylerDurden is right about my comment, it was an estimate I gave. Why? Because some of the enviroments and objects, in the backgrounds in the arcade version of VF3, look better than the dreamcasts. But interestingly, there are some things in the dreamcast version of VF3tb, that look a bit better than the arcade version.

But to be honest, both the arcade and dreamcast version, should have had a higher polycount.

VincentNL
core

Post#13 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:14 pm

The game use both NaomiLib NLOBJput 8.0 and standard .NJ

If you want to see NL models (Face / Hair / Hands) just use my QBMS script on the whole extracted game folder and import them with Blender plugin.

https://github.com/NaomiMod/blender-NaomiLib

As far as modding the game, there's alot of reversing work to do due VF3 using a mixed format.
If you like my work or just want to show some love:
https://ko-fi.com/vincentnl
https://www.patreon.com/VincentNL

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#14 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:10 pm

VincentNL wrote:The game use both NaomiLib NLOBJput 8.0 and standard .NJ

If you want to see NL models (Face / Hair / Hands) just use my QBMS script on the whole extracted game folder and import them with Blender plugin.

As far as modding the game, there's alot of reversing work to do due VF3 using a mixed format.

Thanks for the tool. It's interesting to see the assets. Managed to get janlee from doa 2 and bahn from fighting vipers 2. It was surprising to see that Jan lee was like 7k polygon, and bahn in the 3000s. I need to spend more time on it to assemble them.

I wonder if this would work for daytona 2001 and sega sports jam.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:36 pm

Cloo what plans did you have for those 2 games? Just to compare the polys or something?

But yeah hope all of this leads to modding more DC games. Replacing models in say Sega GT would be so bad ass if we could add all new cars and even tracks and just overall expand the game.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#16 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:30 pm

VincentNL wrote:The game use both NaomiLib NLOBJput 8.0 and standard .NJ

I dont think its on your list but you can add sports jam and daytona usa 2001 both dreamcast version. they work fine with your converter.

Anthony817 wrote:Cloo what plans did you have for those 2 games? Just to compare the polys or something?

But yeah hope all of this leads to modding more DC games. Replacing models in say Sega GT would be so bad ass if we could add all new cars and even tracks and just overall expand the game.

I dont plan to do any mods, just checking the models. Wanted to see model complexity. its a little tedious to assemble by hand since the model can have many segments but its interesting to see the results. When i started to assemble the doa2 janlee model( which i didnt finish but got pretty far into it) just the head and torso together where 5k polygons. once i found the arms hands feet legs it skyrockted to like 7k.
There seems to be interesting things in the dreamcast version of virtua fighter 3. Remember the model 3 tech demo that had smoother hands than the finished arcade and dreamcast version? seems those hands are in the models of the dreamcast version despite being unused.

celsowm
shadow

Post#17 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:24 pm

Would be possible to import these models to a saturn homebrew using Joengine?
My dream is only see at least a glimpse of the legendary VF3 Saturn

beanboy
Wazza

Post#18 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:00 am

My boy is using Blender. Sick. 8-)

beanboy
Wazza

Post#19 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:07 am

ZTylerDurden wrote:I gotta ask since I've seen some super impressive innovations in this community.

Would it be possible to modify the GDI for VF3 to add the arcade version's superior textures/graphical effects? I've read that the DC is more than capable to support those missing graphics.

I'm in no way familiar with the modding process but I've seen some magical stuff done by this community. Would you have to reverse engineer the whole game in order to do that?

This guy made some HD textures for VF3tb on the dreamcast. As you can see the game looks alot better with these nicer textures. He even did some for Soul Calibur and Powerstone 1 and 2. Check them out.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11614

ZTylerDurden
lithium

Post#20 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:59 am

beanboy wrote:This guy made some HD textures for VF3tb on the dreamcast. As you can see the game looks alot better with these nicer textures. He even did some for Soul Calibur and Powerstone 1 and 2. Check them out.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11614

Looks good. These are upscaled 2x/4x textures that a DC probably won't execute. It's more about swapping the ones from the arcade version into the DC.