Massive Midway games source code released! How about some ports to DC?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

beanboy
Wazza

Re: Massive Midway games source code released! How about some ports to DC?

Post#11 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:47 pm

Wow! All of that source code, that is a treasure trove right there.

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#12 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:53 am

Two Midway games in Dreamcast would be a Dream: Killer Insctint and War Gods
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:16 am

I am DYING for good Killer Instinct 1+2 ports

Fuck you can't even get KI3 for PC with them has to be on shitbox3. The only console now I get solely for on game is Gran Turismo 7's PS5

galaxygod
core

Post#14 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:44 pm

wasnt there a website a few years ago trying to port return to castle wolfenstein to dreamcast? that could be a really cool port to see

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:16 am

Oh yes, I believe Chui and a few others in the community were attempting it with Darkplaces Dreamcast engine port called Dreamplaces but it never went anywhere. I did recently look into how modable Quake 3 Arena was, and if it was possible at all to even get some singleplayer type mods for it. Interestingly enough somebody has made a singleplayer oriented mod tool suite that does just that. Wolfeinstein 3D was fully recreated in it. Check it out.

I even made a thread about this. Would be cool to see all kinds of other things done with this amazing engine on DC since it looks so good and is optimized well for the console.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=14501

galaxygod
core

Post#16 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:59 pm

i wonder if now that the official soarce is out that it would be more possible! this build of wolfenstein 3d looks so good in the quake 3 engine though is this playable on the dreamcast or just pc?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#17 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:37 pm

Where did you hear the official source was out?

And this was only on PC but the DC version has been shown to be able to play PC maps and character models. So I am sure it must be possible to use the maps at least.

galaxygod
core

Post#18 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:10 pm

i guess i just assumed since on the first page of this topic dakangel posted this haha i could just be misunderstanding

Some codes on that repository

Serious engine - c++
Alien vs Predator engine - c
Return to castle Wolfenstein - c
Forsaken - c
Doom 3 - c
Revolution x- assembler

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#19 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:49 pm

Oh I thought you meant for the DC version of Quake 3. I was going to say that more in depth modding would need source code to be really possible.

I just looked up the PC specs for that game.

Code: Select all

In order to be able to run Return to Castle Wolfenstein at a minimum standard for the game, you will need a CPU ranked better than Pentium® II 400 Mhz processor or Athlon® processor, more than 128 MB RAM, a GPU that is better ranked than 3-D Hardware Accelerator (with 16MB VRAM with full OpenGL ® support), while the PC system is running on English version of Windows® 95 OSR2/98/ME/NT4.0 (SP6)/2000/XP Operating System.

While that does need better specs it might be possible to optimize for the DC. Since you are able to run the game closer to the metal, but the ram might be the issue. DC runs at 200mhz, so like said less overhead on the console maybe helpful but not impossible. To really get the most out of it one would need to develop a port with official katana SDK. I think maybe then with a dedicated group of people maybe possible. Maybe with the PS2 port's assets it would be able to run better with the DC's limited memory?

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#20 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:18 pm

RAM always the issue unfortunately for the DC. SH4 @200mhz being a RISC chip is very efficient at what it does so has enough horsepower in the DC to be comparable with the horsepower of a P2 400 mhz. Maybe if he gets the time Ian can get his RAM cache and memory wizardry to get some further optimization that could help with homebrew and ports.