openMenu Alpha 1

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Re: openMenu Alpha 1

Post#11 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:23 am

Now it is working mrneo240. Thanks.

IMG_20210611_060503.jpg

It is really nice :)

START - Sort games by as card order/name etc
A - Start game
B - n/a
X - n/a
Y - Change layout / grid
L - n/a
R - n/a

I understand it's alot of work behind this but I still want to make some suggestions.

- On the layout where you have covers in 3 rows , if you highlight a game there will popup a almost full screen image of the highlighted cover. That's cool but increase the time needed for it to be highlighted before it get full screen cover (now it's 1 sec)

- Sort functions are awesome ! Maybe remove some of the filter functions ex game id (does anyone need to sort on that)

- Using R and L to quick scroll next page of games

- Decrease or reposition the title text , some games have to large names to fit on screen

- Position the "selected sort function" a little to the right , so it does not cover the Dreamcast text on left side

- Sound ? Maybe I'm not sure , you could have a sound when highlighting a new game (like browsing menus in Xbox UI)

As I said before just so you don't miss it. I could gladly help out writing synopsis for games (copy paste what's on the back covers of games :D)

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#12 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 am

FlorreW wrote:
I understand it's alot of work behind this but I still want to make some suggestions.

A lot of people hate the large icon in grid view lol.
I am a developer so mostly when I am writing things I'm just adding functionality and testing various things and ideas.

Making proper UI/UX is not easy and I struggle with it.

I hope to make enough pieces for someone to make a nicer UI or have animations and such. That just isn't my skillset, I much prefer to design the systems that other things rest on top of.

Please forgive the shortcomings of the UI, it was written mostly in a vacuum with my thoughts and the image designs from /u/westhinksdifferent from reddit.

I am reading a lot of suggestions and criticism and for the most part it's things I had never even considered. I am reading it all and making mental notes of it.

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions!

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#13 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:57 am

These will obviously be included in the forthcoming source but for now heres the two UI layout source files.
Complete and unaltered.

In case anyone wants to see how easy/hard it is to create these layout designs. Personally i think with all the underlying system its fairly simple to create things will all the groundwork that is present in the application.

ui_grid.c:
https://gist.github.com/mrneo240/9ae264e240c07e23acee0a10f506642f

ui_line_desc.c:
https://gist.github.com/mrneo240/3b7c5aba6b8af475b989b2645da4439c

sionisaac
shadow

Post#14 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:05 am

Can someone else with a PAL console try this and post a video of it running all region games without garbled screen. I have tried this on multiple TV's now and it's still garbled screen for every game. The menu is absolutely fine but as soon as any game is started the screen messes up. I would rather know if it's an issue with all PAL consoles or just mine.

Update:- I tried the Alpha cdi version released in january. And it does exactly the same when any game is started. Menu works fine until game selected and started.

GDMENU must be coded to work on multi region consoles because there is no issues with it. Dreamshell and other homebrew are the same.
Last edited by sionisaac on Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#15 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:09 am

sionisaac wrote:Can someone else with a PAL console try this and post a video of it running all region games without garbled screen. I have tried this on multiple TV's now and it's still garbled screen for every game. The menu is absolutely fine but as soon as any game is started the screen messes up. I would rather know if it's an issue with all PAL consoles or just mine.

I'm at work atm but I am using a pal machine, runs both Ntsc and Pal games from this menu without problems.

sionisaac
shadow

Post#16 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:10 am

@FlorreW What region is your TV? Are you using a composite/phono/vga connection?

My issue is that GDMENU works without problems and so do all other homebrew. OpenMenu does not. This can't be a problem that is Local to only my dreamcast. I will try and post a video later.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#17 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:34 am

sionisaac wrote:@FlorreW What region is your TV? Are you using a composite/phono/vga connection?

My issue is that GDMENU works without problems and so do all other homebrew. OpenMenu does not. This can't be a problem that is Local to only my dreamcast. I will try and post a video later.

Are you using rf or normal leads vga it should work fine on ether..

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#18 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:38 am

@sionisaac

Tv is a 100hz 75" 4k Samsung , neither pal or Ntsc I guess , only old tv models are 50 or 60 Hz ? (But it was bought in my country Sweden)

I am using a hdmi cable solution. Bitfunx

sionisaac
shadow

Post#19 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:48 am

I am using a composite with 3 phono jacks Yellow/Red/White. Why would the problem be the cable? The same cable that works with every other homebrew including GDMENU without problems?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#20 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:01 am

sionisaac wrote:I am using a composite with 3 phono jacks Yellow/Red/White. Why would the problem be the cable? The same cable that works with every other homebrew including GDMENU without problems?

Because no one uses those any more lest not many or dev's so it maybe be vga only mrneo240 could anwser you more about that..
or it might be ntsc only i have vga cable so it work for me I'm also have ntsc console
not used rf or com since the early 2000's