I've used Vectorman to test tilemap shadow/highlight, and it runs for me. Wrestle War isn't a good choice for that version of Gens4All since it uses a window map on the right edge of the screen, and I only implemented window maps for the top and bottom. Altered Beast requires some tilemap rasters to show both the score and life bar; the that version of Gens4All can only show one at a time, depending on what the render point is.
I haven't made enough progress to bother releasing anything yet, but here's an update:
I've partially created a game list menu. At the moment, it's just a replacement for the directory listing and doesn't read per game settings, but it loads the list much faster than trying to get a directory listing over dcload.
I've also been working on redoing the rendering code to have limited raster support, and better window support. It's currently more glitchy overall and is missing some of the line scroll handling that the last release had, but handles somethings better. It gets Sonic 2's split screen mode working correctly, and handles things like Altered Beast's HUD and Landstalker's dialog boxes better (first screenshot is old renderer, second shot is the raster supporting renderer). Toejam & Earl split screen still doesn't work correctly. Stuff like Super Hang-On, Panorama Cotton, and Sonic 3D Blast's special stages are kind of playable, but they don't look that good and don't quite run at full speed (about 55 FPS) without reducing the sample rate. It's really only good for having a couple rasters rather than stretching or squashing the entire screen.
Supporting accurate full screen rasters (like Vectorman, Contra title screens or racing games or Panorama Cotton) is not feasible. You end up drawing 8x1 slivers which is way too much work for the CPU and PVR. It comes out to 41x224x2 quads drawn, or 36,736 triangles (and that's not counting sprites).
I have an idea for a renderer that might work better for heavy rasters using render-to-texture, but it's not possible on the KOS PVR driver, and I'm not totally sure it can hit 60 FPS.
Ian Micheal wrote:I had this error when i built the new 3.1 with saving that i dont get with 3.0
That error is from loading the original, now unused, Gens4All SDL menu. The only (intentional) change in 3.1 over 3.0 is in gamemenu.c, it sounds like there was a problem building the romdisk, or I made a mistake with the 7z file. You could just copy the gamemenu file from 3.1 into your 3.0 build, or copy the 3.0 romdisk to 3.1, or delete the code that loads the font.