WIP Super ThunderCats: The Lost Eye of Thundera -BOR on DC

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

marchegiano
Quad Damage

WIP Super ThunderCats: The Lost Eye of Thundera -BOR on DC

Post#1 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:01 am

Howdy buds.

Download: EDIT - It wasn't a working download and when a more experienced person tells you, you should pull it, probably best to listen. If you still want the cdi PM me and I'll send you the link but it is basically useless. - EDIT

I'll start with explaining what this is then explain how I got here and why.

This is dubcity's .bins from One Pieace Grand Line Battle and the data folder extracted from MersoX's Super ThunderCats The Lost Eye of Thundera. Probably the lowest form of porting that can be done, I just mixed files up and burned them in bootdreams. I tested it in ReDream and Demul. ReDream slows down as you progress and is pretty unplayable by stage 2. Demul freezes before the gameplay and after the start screen. I have a DC but it's not hooked up atm so I don't know how it runs of hardware but I'll test that by-and-by.

I have the kind of job that has me working as much as I can handle for months then I get a few weeks off. So I try to get in any hobby stuff all at once and a lot of time I feel like I just don't have the free time to learn the proper steps to do what I want to do properly so I try to figure out quick solutions. That's basically it, I know this isn't really how you go about porting BOR to DC but it is the solution I figured out quickly.

I wanted ThunderCats for Amiga on DC but I can't make a direct boot disk. I found MerosX's Super ThunderCats: The Lost Eye of Thundera and thought oh that's great because BOR has been ported to DC for a while now and Merso's game is from 2014. I thought that was well in the official DC support era so i thought it'd be as simple as grab the proper build's 1st_read.bin. That didn't work out for me so I tried using other folk's done versions as examples to figure out what I'm doing wrong, obviously that didn't take too long because here I am. I cracked open dubcity's One Piece CDI , nixed the onepiece data folder and dropped the cats data folder in its place and next thing I know I'm actually looking at Lion-O....super cool.

I figured since I did it and there was some level of success I may as well share with y'all more capable folks.

For interest, if you're wondering why a fella who doesn't even play on real hardware is interested in porting to that hardware, it's for my son. I can play TC right now on the same PC I have ReDream on, it's no nother at all. He's 6, he's super interested in videogames in general and just likes to learn about them. So when he's around I do have the DC and everything else hooked up and ready, but, he is six and ease of use is still super important. While he likes to explore Amiga with me, I am the proud owner of an 040, it's not as easy for him as say the Dreamcast...or any console for that matter really. DC has the support though. If SNES could I'd be trying to port to SNES. If Ps2 could I'd be trying to port to ps2. BOR, 4All, that sort of stuff is not on just any platform. So for me it's a convenient way to let him play the games. He's no interest in hardware, not even the Genesis with 32x and cd. So for us it's about perfect to get games from Amiga ported to DC. Let the 040 retire and let the DC live, get me?
Last edited by marchegiano on Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Re: Super ThunderCats: The Lost Eye of Thundera -BOR on DC

Post#2 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:46 am

What you are doing @marchegiano is taking the games apart and seeing how it works. It's cool you took the one I made apart. I'm flattered. I used Ian Michaels dreambor plain files and did some work to the data files to create the release you used. In fact I'm taking games apart and seeing how they work also. Keep it up and you will see possible success.

If your game is crashing in emulators, then the files need some work done to them.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:21 pm

If the files are 16bit pal it will slow to crawl all files need to be converted to 8bit pal and optimized for games running slow possible to get 60fps doing this 8bit pal has 256 colours most of the 16 bit games are using less then 128 colours so is just wasteful etc.. * and 16 bit pal does not mean it looks like 8 or 16 bit game

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#4 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:24 pm

dubcity wrote:What you are doing @marchegiano is taking the games apart and seeing how it works. It's cool you took the one I made apart. I'm flattered. I used Ian Michaels dreambor plain files and did some work to the data files to create the release you used. In fact I'm taking games apart and seeing how they work also. Keep it up and you will see possible success.

If your game is crashing in emulators, then the files need some work done to them.

Well buddy that makes two of us; I did not expect encouragement. Heck, I was a little nervous sharing because I didn't want you to be like "Hey guy, don't steal my work!". So, from you, that's really touching. Thanks man, I will press on.

I am so new to this I'm not sure what "plain files" actually means.

I have the Dreambor6.0-master.zip I've found on my own but when I go under engine, then dc, I see a whole bunch of files but none are the bins I was expecting, or in fact .bin at all. Are those the plain files?

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#5 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:27 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:If the files are 16bit pal it will slow to crawl all files need to be converted to 8bit pal and optimized for games running slow possible to get 60fps doing this 8bit pal has 256 colours most of the 16 bit games are using less then 128 colours so is just wasteful etc.. * and 16 bit pal does not mean it looks like 8 or 16 bit game

Bit over my head at the moment, but I'll investigate. This can be done in GIMP or Graphics Gale?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#6 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:31 pm

marchegiano wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:If the files are 16bit pal it will slow to crawl all files need to be converted to 8bit pal and optimized for games running slow possible to get 60fps doing this 8bit pal has 256 colours most of the 16 bit games are using less then 128 colours so is just wasteful etc.. * and 16 bit pal does not mean it looks like 8 or 16 bit game

Bit over my head at the moment, but I'll investigate. This can be done in GIMP or Graphics Gale?

major problem is finding the colors and doing it some games have 1300 files to change by hand i did 4 games converted that run 60fps if you want try proper converted games

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:37 pm

all have the links to the cdi's all these where 16bit pal games that ran like shit at 15 fps now 60fps

All these play to the end and are silky smooth on hardware but it takes effort see my topic i go into detail about how to convert games many times

Cant use gimp or other to get correct pal intfraview got use the dump pal and apply pal between every file

there is tools to do this but they dont work for me so i put in the months of effort for the above to show what they should run like using My dreambor engine update.. Now with vmu saving the above dont have that it's a version before

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#8 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:41 pm

marchegiano wrote:Well buddy that makes two of us; I did not expect encouragement. Heck, I was a little nervous sharing because I didn't want you to be like "Hey guy, don't steal my work!". So, from you, that's really touching. Thanks man, I will press on.

I have the Dreambor6.0-master.zip I've found on my own but when I go under engine, then dc, I see a whole bunch of files but none are the bins I was expecting, or in fact .bin at all. Are those the plain files?

Not mad at all. My "work" is only possible due to Ian's tools. Ian's tools have senile teams tools as foundation. One builds on top of the previous.

Plainfiles are the already compiled bin files and folders. Ian said check his thread out. This post has the latest version of this software.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11829&start=200#p151368

Now my advice is do not release broken games. It only makes everyone mad and frustrated they can't be finished. Play test your stuff before releasing. That's why it takes so long to release these games.

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#9 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:31 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:all have the links to the cdi's all these where 16bit pal games that ran like shit at 15 fps now 60fps

All these play to the end and are silky smooth on hardware but it takes effort see my topic i go into detail about how to convert games many times

Cant use gimp or other to get correct pal intfraview got use the dump pal and apply pal between every file

there is tools to do this but they dont work for me so i put in the months of effort for the above to show what they should run like using My dreambor engine update.. Now with vmu saving the above dont have that it's a version before

Oh wow, thanks man, I'll find the post. It sounds like there's quite a bit to learn and more to do so it'll probably be a while before I post anything but I will definitely be working on it. I really appreciate it. I did not anticipate there being so much already here, for free. When folks said Ian's I went and googled it instead of searching the forum. So that's on me, that was dumb. I thought I had to figure out the compile process explained on github. I did not realize I could just download the .bin here let alone explanations for tweaking the games to run better. I'm excited.

I'm confident I'll get it sorted. It may take me long time but I'm pretty sure I can handle it. Thanks a bunch, teach a man to fish and all that. This is great.

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#10 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:37 pm

dubcity wrote:
marchegiano wrote:Well buddy that makes two of us; I did not expect encouragement. Heck, I was a little nervous sharing because I didn't want you to be like "Hey guy, don't steal my work!". So, from you, that's really touching. Thanks man, I will press on.

Not mad at all. My "work" is only possible due to Ian's tools. Ian's tools have senile teams tools as foundation. One builds on top of the previous.

Plainfiles are the already compiled bin files and folders. Ian said check his thread out. This post has the latest version of this software.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11829&start=200#p151368

Now my advice is do not release broken games. It only makes everyone mad and frustrated they can't be finished. Play test your stuff before releasing. That's why it takes so long to release these games.

Y'all are great, thanks a bunch, saved me looking for it. I've already bookmarked and downloaded. I really appreciate both you and Ian, thanks a bunch guys. I'm off to do some fixing now.