Crafti, Retro8/Pico-8 and Ganbare ports for Dreamcast

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

k-do
Doom

Re: Crafti, Retro8/Pico-8 and Ganbare ports for Dreamcast

Post#11 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:46 am

Some pico-8 games comes as .exe to play on windows, is there some way to extract the game file to play in Retro-8 for Dreamcast?

gameblabla
rebel

Post#12 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:43 pm

k-do wrote:Some pico-8 games comes as .exe to play on windows, is there some way to extract the game file to play in Retro-8 for Dreamcast?

You could attempt to open the executables with 7zip and see if you can find it in there but i don't think it would be that simple sadly.

k-do
Doom

Post#13 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:13 am

I tried but it didn't work...its not so simple to extract the game.

gamesreup
killer

Post#15 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:28 am

Here's my look at Ganbare :) Interesting little title

gameblabla
rebel

Post#16 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:00 pm

gamesreup wrote:Here's my look at Ganbare :) Interesting little title

I enjoyed your review : P
Great reminder that i should use a dummy file too lol...

Ian Micheal wrote:Crafti CDI CDDA made by request to me by users
https://mega.nz/file/j2gjSAzJ#StKPCws9W ... 8CpWik_rz8

Thanks ian but unfortunately i already updated it again to fix a few minor issues and performance again :P

So yeah, i noticed that Crafti on all of my ports had rendering issues with water, lava and it was dropping triangles when it shouldn't be etc...
I upgraded the source code to the latest one and "up-ported" my multiplat code to it.
This new version also has a nice GUI and it fixes an issue with the text conflicting with the background when in the inventory.
Oh, and i've also ported the game to the N64 too, for your "enjoyment".. : P

As you can see, the Dreamcast version runs at a higher resolution (320x240 versus 256x224) and runs at about 20-30 FPS.

So yeah, i've updated all of my Crafti ports (including the Dreamcast and NAOMI versions) with the new changes and the Dreamcast/NAOMI version also run a bit faster as well so this should be the last release for a while until i can add back saving/loading new worlds to/from the VMU.
This should be doable now that i've actually saved enough memory for the game to handle this... well maybe.
If not then i suppose this will be a NAOMI-only feature : P

Link is still the same as usual so just grab it in my first post.

gamesreup
killer

Post#18 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:16 am

gamesreup
killer

Post#19 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:28 am

gameblabla wrote:Hey guys, i was also working on overheated and i learned a few stuff about DC development and stuff :P.

Overheated

Overheated was a Caravan shoot-em-up by BrokenTestType released back in 2017. (Back then, i helped him with the GCW0/OpenDingux port, he focused on the PC versions instead)

There are 2 modes : One that lasts 2 minutes and another one that lasts 5 minutes.
The one that lasts 5 minutes allows you to see the two levels whereas the 2 minutes one should barely allow you to see the beginning of the second one (if you manage to survive that is :P).
You should try to reach a highscore before the time is up. After the time is up (or you die), you can save your score as part of the leaderboards and also save replays on your VMU. (Only A1 for now)

You can download the Dreamcast port of the game here :
https://gitlab.com/gameblabla/gameblabla-website-files/-/raw/simp/files/dreamcast_new/overheated-dreamcast.7z?inline=false

Source code is here (SDL fork is also used for this game as it needs it for maximum performance) :
https://github.com/gameblabla/overheated
https://github.com/gameblabla/SDL-dreamhal-stripped

Here's a video of the port : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4kM3KpR2Mw

Ganbare-Natsukisan

Based on the improvements i've made for Overheated, i've also released another update to Ganbare to fix a few issues such as proper keyboard support, fixing music properly between stages and improving the performance as well. Link is still the same (see OP)

Crafti is a cool lil Minecraft clone! Thank you for the updates 8-)

Yes, Vogtinator did some good work on it :P I just had to port it to the DC

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#20 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:48 am

completely missed this one :o

was making a new thread about the retro8 interpreter, but it was already here :)
thank you @gameblabla, i'm having fun with that pico-8 emulator
keep it up the great work