Video2DreamcastDisc Release - Automatically Convert ANY Media File To An Auto-Playing Sega Dreamcast Disc

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

alexfree
fire

Re: Video2DreamcastDisc Release - Automatically Convert ANY Media File To An Auto-Playing Sega Dreamcast Disc

Post#31 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:04 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:I will take a look all them are just katana sample that i have seen so far not even last which had dma sound transfer can tell by the included api files.. Thanks i will take a look.. I would hope it's working duck version much better video then sfd

I know it's old code, but maybe it would be fun to see if a pause/play could be added to the sample code? Could be worth messing around.

Also, you mention a newer source that includes more efficent APIs? That is definitely worth looking into (and maybe the PVRs could just be removed from the source).

I know there are better players, but this AFAIK is also the only way to encode stero audio (bero's wav2adpcm is mono only) SFDs without the movie creator directly. Maybe this is worth it just for someone who wants to make FMVs as well as play around with some easy to make video discs ;)

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: Video2DreamcastDisc Release - Automatically Convert ANY Media File To An Auto-Playing Sega Dreamcast Disc

Post#32 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:11 pm

Here are the selfboot scripts i put together for DC Divx, Gyplay, and 4XM.
Simple to use. add video, run script and get a selfboot cdi

DC Divx - complete, needs a readme added for the process of converting .avi files using virtualdub and installing divx codec etc. also for adding backgrounds... but I am too lazy to write one. (if some1 wants to write one, I will add it to the pack and credit you for your work)

Gyplay - complete, includes a readme.

4XM - complete, includes a readme but needs more info added to process of converting .4xm files with 4xm compressor and it needs more trial and error until we find optimal settings etc.

*when i was referring to multidisks in earlier post...creating a disk using dreamon or any loader that you can add multiple bins or videos or whatever you want to the disk and you could select with a decent gui etc.

**feel free to modify, add, improve anything to those scripts.

it would be great if we had an all-in-one app that could be used to create dc video disks for each type of format available and video2dreamcastdisc might be the one just for that.

:D
Attachments
DC Video Selfboot Scripts.rar
(9.45 MiB) Downloaded 197 times

alexfree
fire

Post#33 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:53 pm

VGA works with this! Just got a VGA box and the 3.5mm out/clear output in conjuction with a HDMI converter (I got an unsupported mode message with straight VGA on my TV) is perfect for this.

grouik1er
noob

Post#34 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:13 pm

Hi, thanks for your script thay give me the good option for encoding audio and mux SFD.

But i don't understand the video limitation to 352x240 in mpeg1 codec

for exemple on the Silver dreamcast game the intri.sfd is
Video: MPEG-1 Video 512x256 (117:64) 25fps 3600 kbit/s [Video - MPEG, 512x256, 25.000 fps, 3600 kbit/s (e0)]
Audio: ADX ADPCM 22050Hz 2.0 chn 705 kbit/s [Audio - ADX ADPCM, 22.1 kHz, 2.0 chn, 16 bit, 705 kbit/s (c0)]

So what do you think?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#35 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:27 pm

grouik1er wrote:Hi, thanks for your script thay give me the good option for encoding audio and mux SFD.

But i don't understand the video limitation to 352x240 in mpeg1 codec

for exemple on the Silver dreamcast game the intri.sfd is
Video: MPEG-1 Video 512x256 (117:64) 25fps 3600 kbit/s [Video - MPEG, 512x256, 25.000 fps, 3600 kbit/s (e0)]
Audio: ADX ADPCM 22050Hz 2.0 chn 705 kbit/s [Audio - ADX ADPCM, 22.1 kHz, 2.0 chn, 16 bit, 705 kbit/s (c0)]

So what do you think?

Thats on gdrom you cant do that on mil cd

grouik1er
noob

Post#36 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:49 pm

what's the max resolution possible on gdrom?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#37 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:23 pm

grouik1er wrote:what's the max resolution possible on gdrom?

max is 640x480 but still limited to 400kb/sec dont really matter this sfd limit..
3600 kbit/s =450kb/sec so dont really matter about the res size it's low bitrate video what ever you do.. making it 640x480 makes it look worst..
Almost all retail games used 320x240 even if the file is 512x blah it displays as 320x240 on screen..

You can do 640x480 same bitrate it have no effect the resolution does not effect quality of the bitrate.. 640x480 does not mean it look any better it's still 400 kb a sec video.. 3600 kbit/s =450kb/sec

I think people get confused on what that really means..

all games on cdi hacked releases videos are down sampled to under 200 kb sec not even close to what you get in real game..

Mil cd is very slow seek time max streaming from it is 450kb a sec including sound.. Which is exact same as the serial port i proved this i optimized resident evil 3 gdi for the serial port and it plays perfect all video.. that needed to be down sampled to guess what under 450 kb/sec exact same as the cdi hacked release that runs on cdr..

Got put this in context 400 kb/sec video including sound SFD was never made to watch videos with it's cut scene intro api example middle ware for games ..

You could make a gdi using this get better version but it be gdemu only..
Attachments
sfdbitrate.png
gdrom_speed.png

grouik1er
noob

Post#38 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:42 pm

i understand the bitrate limit on MIL CD.
but with gd emu or ide, dreacast can handle more or it is hardware limited to 3600.
i don't understand the video coded at 640x480 displayed eat 320x240, dreamcast resize ? in vga too ?

alexfree
fire

Post#39 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:21 am

Video2DreamcastDisc v1.1.1 update!
https://github.com/alex-free/video2drea ... tag/v1.1.1
https://alex-free.github.io/video2dreamcastdisc

- Added option 4 to split long videos into multiple shorter segments for further conversion by Video2DreamcastDisc.
- Change both WARNER.PVR and SOFTDEC.PVR to my own custom white colored PVR file to remove the "We Proudly Present" banner played at the end of videos by SFDPlayer.
- Changed output files from being named "video", they are now named the same as the original source file with a different extension.

Special thanks to @ateam for the suggestion on removing the "We Proudly Present" banners as requested by @galaxygod .

In the future an update will include more player(s) as suggested by @SMiTH .

If anyone has any suggestions drop them in this thread :)

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#40 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:48 pm

grouik1er wrote:i understand the bitrate limit on MIL CD.
but with gd emu or ide, dreacast can handle more or it is hardware limited to 3600.
i don't understand the video coded at 640x480 displayed eat 320x240, dreamcast resize ? in vga too ?

depend on the encoding on how you make it display..

think of pvr texture size 1024x512 = 640x480 512x512= 320x240.. every thing has to be a power of 2..

so 352x240 is still 320x240 just scaled pvr is scaling it cant really display 352

You can encode a sfd to be 1 gb it still only stream at 450kb/sec yes you can do 640x480 not going to make any change other then making every thing more visible because the bitrate is the same now the res is more ..

i was talking about games with 512x256 videos still display at 320x240 since that weird size would effect vga display in some cases..