Video2DreamcastDisc Release - Automatically Convert ANY Media File To An Auto-Playing Sega Dreamcast Disc

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

alexfree
fire

Video2DreamcastDisc Release - Automatically Convert ANY Media File To An Auto-Playing Sega Dreamcast Disc

Post#1 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:09 pm

Video2DreamcastDisc is a complete suite of programs that can automagically convert any video file to a .iso file (which autoplays your video on the Sega Dreamcast) which can be burned and then booted with the Utopia Boot Disc.

How it works:

I've envisioned this program for months, and it's finally ready for release. Expect many improvements in future versions.

Excert from the website: https://alex-free.github.io/video2dreamcastdisc

Burn the Utopia CD Loader V1.2.cdi file in the Video2DreamcastDisc directory to a CD-R.
Drop the media file you want to play on the Sega Dreamcast on the vid2dcd.bat file in the release, a video.iso file will be generated. Burn the video.iso file with a CD-R writing program (like imgburn, cdrdao, cdrecord, etc.). do not use Windows Explorer.
Boot the Sega Dreamcast with the Utopia Boot Disc CD-R burned previously. Once the reindeer appears swap the Utopia CD Loader V1.2.cdi CD-R with the video.iso CD-R.
Close the lid, the video will autoplay. When done, turn the Sega Dreamcast off before removing the video.iso CD-R.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Video2DreamcastDisc Release - Automatically Convert ANY Media File To An Auto-Playing Sega Dreamcast Disc

Post#2 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:44 pm

You know i posted to you this not 3600 kb/sec it's 3577.6kbits/s
what you have here is video running at 352x240 at 452/kb/sec max = to any homebrew player and my own..
Below video put out by your converter
    Name: BUMPER.SFD
    Initial Video Stream
    Resolution: 352 x 240
    Aspect ratio: 1.34351
    Format: mpeg1video
    Bitrate: 3632 kbps
    Frames per second: 60.000000
    Selected codec: mpeg1video
Above after using your converter this is the bit rate your video makes running on dreamcast 3632 kbps = 452 kb/sec
Video is playing on dreamcast at 452 kb/sec your getting this all mixed up mate max for sfd playing on dreamcast is 400 to 600 max kb/sec
kbps.png
kbps.png (11.57 KiB) Viewed 12509 times

Dont matter what bitrate you input this what you get out for sfd player encoder

Not 3600kb/sec Never getting 3600kb/sec out of a cdr max speed this not decoding speed is 400 kb/sec 600kb/sec
Below as you can see a cdr only has block 1 and 2 max speed is 600/kb/sec to 900kb/sec
gdrom_speed.png

how_slow_is_ACIA.png

sfdbitrate.png

Have to correct you what bitrate is but on dreamcast SFD is playing at 3632kbps not kb/sec it's not even as good as my xvid player

This no better then any other player homebrew kbps is not kb/sec

alexfree
fire

Re: Video2DreamcastDisc Release - Automatically Convert ANY Media File To An Auto-Playing Sega Dreamcast Disc

Post#3 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:16 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:You know i posted to you this not 3600 kb/sec it's 3577.6kbits/s
what you have here is video running at 352x240 at 452/kb/sec max = to any homebrew player and my own..
    Initial Video Stream
Above after using your converter this is the bit rate your video makes running on dreamcast 3632 kbps = 452 kb/sec
Video is playing on dreamcast at 452 kb/sec your getting this all mixed up mate max for sfd playing on dreamcast is 400 to 600 max kb/sec
kbps.png

Not 3600kb/sec Never getting 3600kb/sec out of a cdr max speed this not decoding speed is 400 kb/sec 600kb/sec
gdrom_speed.png
how_slow_is_ACIA.png
sfdbitrate.png

Have to correct you what bitrate is but on dreamcast SFD is playing at 3632kbps not kb/sec it's not even as good as my xvid player

If you look at my chat message and the web page for this, I never actually said it's 3600 kb/s. I said 3600 k/s . I do agree that I should change it to kbps to make it more obvious. I also did get confused in chat because this terminology is well confusing.

This was just a fun little project for me to do, the goal is to automate what the Sega Dreamcast Movie Creator does without the GUI in a command line script, in a user friendly way. Drop the file into the vid2dcd.bat, and out pops an ISO.

I was unaware of your program and that it was even better then what we have with SFD! The super old homebrews like dc movie player never gave me enough performance compared to the SFD Player program.

So your program can do higher bitrate with straight up MPEG-1?!

Also, this can change the bitrate with SFD. It generates smaller files as you lower it?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:21 pm

alexfree wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:You know i posted to you this not 3600 kb/sec it's 3577.6kbits/s
    Initial Video Stream
kbps.png

gdrom_speed.png
how_slow_is_ACIA.png
sfdbitrate.png

If you look at my chat message and the web page for this, I never actually said it's 3600 kb/s. I said 3600 k/s . I do agree that I should change it to kbps to make it more obvious. I also did get confused in chat because this terminology is well confusing.

This was just a fun little project for me to do, the goal is to automate what the Sega Dreamcast Movie Creator does without the GUI in a command line script, in a user friendly way. Drop the file into the vid2dcd.bat, and out pops an ISO.

I was unaware of your program and that it was even better then what we have with SFD! The super old homebrews like dc movie player never gave me enough performance compared to the SFD Player program.

Yes but your limited to the speed of the cdr as i stated i understand it's confusing it was to me.. This is nice easy why of making a sfd thank you..

Yes i can match this with straight Xvid 352x240 old free movie 24fps 500kb/sec

Same below i use as my fmv api for amiga cd 16 https://streamable.com/5mlpbh

Mpeg4 not mpeg1

alexfree
fire

Post#5 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:21 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
alexfree wrote:
    Initial Video Stream
kbps.png

gdrom_speed.png
how_slow_is_ACIA.png
sfdbitrate.png

Yes but your limited to the speed of the cdr as i stated i understand it's confusing it was to me.. This is nice easy why of making a sfd thank you..

Yes i can match this with straight Xvid 352x240 old free movie 24fps 500kb/sec

Same below i use as my fmv api for amiga cd 16 https://streamable.com/5mlpbh

Mpeg4 not mpeg1

Is there any way to stream video with the BBA? I have one coming to me in the mail, and that can transfer data quite a bit faster then a CD-R correct? Also thanks for linking your channel content looks great.

One last thing. I have a challenge for you if you feel up to it. Why does scrambling the 1ST_READ.BIN or using boot dreams not work for SFD Player?

alexfree
fire

Post#6 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:10 pm

I figured out how to make SFD Player self-bootable, new update incoming that automatically burns a self booting auto-playing CD-r/CDI.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:11 pm

alexfree, do you want to add some selfboot scripts i put together to your Video2DreamcastDisc?

you could make a master batch script that allows the user to choose what type of video disk to create...

the ones that I have put together so far are: 4xm, divx, gyplay.

they need readme's etc but its just add video file to data folder and run script, then you get selfbooting .cdi video disk.

maybe we could add ian's improved homebrew video player too?

that would be an all in one app for ppl to easily create video disks.

let me know, i can attach what I have and you can improve it.

what would be cool is if it was possible to add a function similar to cdrecord -dev=%scsi_id% -msinfo > msinfo.txt (maybe create an app for this)

then you could allow create multi disks, but you would also need to add auto binhack or something.

a way to do this without manual editing lba etc. like the batch script could either ask for input of msinfo or take the value stored in memory ?

you could even use the base of dreamON for the video disks created or something.

you could even have 2 options one for sdiso, one for selfbooting cdi?

bjankins1
blackout!

Post#8 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:28 pm

Can this program be used to make FMVs on games work on Dreamcast?

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#9 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:32 pm

if script creates .sfd files then you should be able to swap them with game sfd.
the method i use to create sfd is a pain in the ass, so this is pretty damn nice.
i know neo has a process that makes it way easier and he also makes the mil cd stuff as well.
either way i dig it.

we never fully tested 4xm, heres to one day some1 creating a full movie in that format. (with optimal settings almost dvd quality) :)
back in october i converted the outsiders full movie to 4xm but never got optimal settings..
ian has way more knowledge about 4xm and made some damn good samples.
and moefoh found some cool stuff about 4xm as well.

alexfree, is sfd player the truemotion player from sdk? (can play mpg or sfd, correct?)
by using ginsu ini or dreamon cfg you can select load of either sfd or mpg??

sorry about ranting but its been months since I even posted here lol.