Atomiswave games polygon count on Dreamcast ?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

cast128dreams
minority

Atomiswave games polygon count on Dreamcast ?

Post#1 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:09 am

All right .iam wondering aren’t you guys wondering if these games for example ^faster than speed ^ or dolphin blue brake any record for Dreamcast polygon counts ?

Motoracer5
blackout!

Re: Atomiswave games polygon count on Dreamcast ?

Post#2 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:34 am

Well Dolphin Blue is mostly 2d sprites, so no. None of the other games come close to Sonic Adventure 2 or DOA 2 as far as I perceive it. Would be interesting to find out though

DCTurbo
lithium

Post#3 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:51 pm

The earliest Atomiswave games are essentially 5th gen+ DC titles. Devs probably had better tools +experience in optimizing their games by 2003 and onward.

TBH I was amazed at how the titles were feasibly ported back to DC - I would have guessed that using flash memory instead of an optical drive, AW titles would be shifting through large chunks of data at high speed instead of caching to fill up each scene into memory.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#4 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:16 pm

I don't know about polygons but for me as faster than speed is the most beautiful racing games, speed effects, long roads.
It's more impressive than f355 challenge or msr.
The race is loading in one time, so it could be released on a gdrom.
Just missing a two player mode with split screen, removing other cars and rearview mirror, and finally a career mode.
I imagine this game was released with the console in 1998 !

cast128dreams
minority

Post#5 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:16 pm

They should load the game through emulators and then with special tools and editors can see exactly what’s going on.I have read in dc forums in a huge discussions about dc polygon count geometry and I was wondering if someone had checked faster than speed !!!the game looks so nice and polished and I thought we have the biggest polygon count on dc …who knows ?

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#6 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:23 pm

cast128dreams wrote:They should load the game through emulators and then with special tools and editors can see exactly what’s going on.I have read in dc forums in a huge discussions about dc polygon count geometry and I was wondering if someone had checked faster than speed !!!the game looks so nice and polished and I thought we have the biggest polygon count on dc …who knows ?

Iam the guy who used to do that and ill tell you nulldc is inaccurate. Your better off using a games debug and looking vert/ polygon count than nulldc since nulldc can double and even triple polygon count.

That doesn't mean the numbers are totally worthles since you can least compare with in each other. I have looked into some atomiswave games and its just as i thought

First of all you are confusing the fact the art styles are more modern than dc but the games are obviously lower budget.

I tried stuff like kenju, force five and a couple other. Let me tell you they barely accomplish low to mid end vert counts compared to dc games. For example kenju and force five get completely destroyed by doa 2 who seems to do double if not more. Most of atomiswave gsmes don't do anything special.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:23 pm

Was waiting for you to post in here lol. Knew you would know better than most. :lol:

Anyways, I do still think that this game looks pretty detailed, at least on par with Crazy Taxi 2 and Head Hunter. Would love to see what kind of polys it throws around, and what the frame rate is like.

Wish there was clearer footage of it. I know some day in the future it will leak, and Megavolt or YZB will convert it over to DC, but man feels like it is taking ages lol.

cast128dreams
minority

Post#8 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:54 am

Oh who owns this game ? :( the same guy who own premier 11 :(

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#9 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:25 am

cast128dreams wrote:They should load the game through emulators and then with special tools and editors can see exactly what’s going on.I have read in dc forums in a huge discussions about dc polygon count geometry and I was wondering if someone had checked faster than speed !!!the game looks so nice and polished and I thought we have the biggest polygon count on dc …who knows ?

I totally agree.
That game features some very nice scenery.
It's too bad it was only meant to be an arcade game while it could easily be the first NFS Underground for the Dreamcast if it was still alive.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:40 am

I think it was recently said somebody had this dumped along with 2 other people. But no plans for them to release publicly. Well, at least not yet.