A Community Project.

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

A Community Project.

Post#1 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:29 pm

How possible or viable would a community project for the Dreamcast be? I see things like Godot being made, mods being made for games like smash bros specifically brawl and their project m. Not to downplay any of the contributors for what they have done for the Dreamcast. But Shoot'em ups and platformers are abundant in the community. I was excited for Captain Dreamcast's Dolemexica but he himself left it behind.

but what would be a good community project we could all contribute to financially physically? would getting all the developers together combining the brain power in a think tank like manner suffice?

https://godotengine.org/ There was a request if they could add support for this lightweight engine to the Dreamcast, but they didnt seem to want or have the motivation to, as the engine has support for consoles, pc and mobile.
Last edited by PhiseJr on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

bjankins1
blackout!

Re: A Community Project.

Post#2 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:15 pm

Well I've had some ideas for a video game, but ...I can't code

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#3 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:35 pm

PhiseJr wrote:how possible or viable would a community project for the dreamcast be, i see things like Godot being made, mods being made for games like smash bros specifically brawl and their project m. Not to downplay any of the contributors for what they have done for the dreamcast. but Shoot'em ups and platformers are abundant in the community. I was excited for Captain Dreamcast's Dolemexica but he himself left it behind.

but what would be a good community project we could all contribute to financially physically? would getting all the developers together combining the brain power in a think tank like manner suffice?

DC is arcade centric console. That means shoot em ups, fighting games and platformers. What do you have in mind?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:56 pm

For one there is about 10 active dev's and some of us would have to care about smash bro's to bother.. no amount of money can make you do something you dont want to do..

bjankins1
blackout!

Post#5 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:44 pm

Hey Ian, how possible is it to design a beat em up engine that has branching pathways and an open world, I've been pipe dreaming about an idea about wanting to make an old west beat em up/Shooter(like Cadillacs and dinosaurs or iron commando) with an open world with towns people side quests and other things like maybe being able to allow the protagonist to ride a horse, think Shinobi 3s horse level in a beat em up 2.5D plane

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:03 pm

Can't we already do that with Beats of Rage engine?

Cadillac and Dinosaurs I seem to remember was on the system already, wasn't it one of Ian's IMR releases or did somebody emulate it with Mame?

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post#7 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:01 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:For one there is about 10 active dev's and some of us would have to care about smash bro's to bother.. no amount of money can make you do something you dont want to do..

Oh when I mentioned Smash Brothers, I wasn't talking specifically about the game itself, I'm talking about the community able to make tools to change the overall game and fix, add, subtract, features to the game to make it better. I'm thinking about tools or a suite that make development more streamline. like how they have a community of people coming together to make the Godot engine, and the community also crowdfunding, not on a kick starter level but smaller.

I love smash but I wasnt talking about making smash bros.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:32 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Can't we already do that with Beats of Rage engine?

Cadillac and Dinosaurs I seem to remember was on the system already, wasn't it one of Ian's IMR releases or did somebody emulate it with Mame?

Yeah we can do branching and all that right now.. What the problem is people using it ..

Ported that