The new proposed "VM2" from Chris at DreamMods.net

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

chrisvcpp
undertow

Re: The new proposed "VM2" from Chris at DreamMods.net

Post#21 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:25 pm

Xiden wrote:The question we all want to know.... what colors will be available? :lol:

The main color that I intend to release is black. Then I will see to it for original white and maybe other colors (or combinations - like transparent).
Of course, all these depend on buyers preferences, and how much funds will be risen from the campaign.

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post#22 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:38 pm

with the shells being manufactured if need be. would you consider sharing the specs with Roarke for further custom shell options?

https://twitter.com/Roarke84694999/stat ... 5dbHVuiVCw

He's only just started casting VMUs.

No1Dopechampion
rebel

Post#23 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:34 pm

Your work has my utmost attention, I already knew the 200 mem blocks was something that cannot be changed . . . but being able to have a 4 x mem card WITH a new backlit screen WITH such amazing battery life.
Yeah I'll be getting one or three for sure

azel
fire

Post#24 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:41 am

This is so cool, and the space thing seems like a minor issue since it can connect to pc. I’m definitely interested in one if the price isn’t too wild.

I suppose one way to get around the Dreamcast mem block limit could be to press a button or something and cycle through virtual memory cards. I believe some third party ones did that.

Though the 4x block size is more then fine, I’m excited about pc connectivity, the battery and of course the screen :D

chrisvcpp
undertow

Post#25 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:06 am

The fact that even Sega's official memory card was 4x128Kb, is the strongest indication that the DC's internal 128Kb limitation could not be lifted. Otherwise, I guess they could have gone with a straight 512Kb.

So, cycling through 4x VMUs is the only option, and this is what the VM2 will do: either with an external button, or via an on-screen menu that will be implemented (with options like 'contrast', etc.)

TapamN
letterbomb

Post#26 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:05 am

Why is it only 4 banks? I think what would really be useful is a couple hundred megabytes of storage with extra maple commands that allow bank switching to be controlled by the Dreamcast. Then people with ODEs or BIOS mods could automatically switch to the correct page on boot based on the disc title.

chrisvcpp
undertow

Post#27 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:25 am

TapamN wrote:Why is it only 4 banks? I think what would really be useful is a couple hundred megabytes of storage with extra maple commands that allow bank switching to be controlled by the Dreamcast. Then people with ODEs or BIOS mods could automatically switch to the correct page on boot based on the disc title.

This would cover only those people with certain mods. Also, what if someone wouldn't want to have only one page per game, or wanting to have multiple saves of the same title?

The VM2 project aims into reproducing the original VMU experience, and personally I prefer that the upgrades should apply to everyone (like the LCD upgrade, or 4x VMUs)

TapamN
letterbomb

Post#28 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:04 am

chrisvcpp wrote:This would cover only those people with certain mods.

More than 4x helps everyone. There are 16x screen-less VMUs out there. Just 512KB seems kind weird now that flash prices have gone down so much since the DC came out. The bankswitching command would be a bonus to those that can use it to make managing so many banks easier.

Also, what if someone wouldn't want to have only one page per game, or wanting to have multiple saves of the same title?

Then they can configure their loader to behave the way they want. They can disable the automatic switching or set multiple games to use the same bank or whatever.

I don't actually have an ODE or BIOS mod, so a bank switch command would have limited use to me personally, but a lot of people who would be interested in a VM2 probably have one of those mods, and the ability to automate which bank gets selected would be a useful feature to them.

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#29 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:46 pm

Since this has 4X Memory Card built in will the incompatible games that don't support it still not work or will there be a workaround being that this is new hardware??? Thanks.

https://segaretro.org/4x_Memory_Card#Ga ... emory_Card

Games which do not recognise the 4x Memory Card

Airforce Delta
Bikkuriman 2000 Viva! Festival!
Carrier
Dynamite Cop
F1 World Grand Prix
Kita e. White Illumination
Kitahei Gold
Maboroshi Tsukiyo
Nanatsu no Hikan: Senritsu no Bishou
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Sakura Momoko Gekijou: Coji Coji
Sekai Fushigi Hakken! Troy
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand

Games which do not support in-game page switching

D-2
Death Crimson 2: Meranito no Saidan
Get!! Colonies
Hello Kitty no Lovely Fruit Park
Hello Kitty no Magical Block
Hello Kitty no Waku Waku Cookies
Marionette Company
Maken X
Memories Off Complete
Rune Jade
Sega Rally 2
Shenmue
Toy Commander
UnderCover AD2025 Kei
Zombie Revenge

krovellium
fire

Post#30 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:29 pm

Are you going to be able to buy this or is it purely a DIY thing?

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”