Reset-to-Menu function and automating it with GDEMU?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ZTylerDurden
lithium
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 Arena

Reset-to-Menu function and automating it with GDEMU?

Post by ZTylerDurden »

I have a DC inside of my arcade cabinet and I love it to death.

You know how you could press the facebuttons+start to reset to the main menu so that it rolls the intro scenes (much like a normal cab after 0 credits)? I'm trying to see if it's possible to automatically "press" those buttons if the system is untouched/idle for 5 minutes.

I know that GDEMU contains a text file for some functions (like boot to gdmenu or directly to game). If someone can point me in the right direction, I would love to know if it would be possible to leverage GDEMU by building that script file to include some kind of timed reset-on-idle feature?
Last edited by ZTylerDurden on Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubcity
Super Sonic

Re: Reset-to-Menu function and automating it with GDEMU?

Post by dubcity »

As far as I know this isn't possible. I think it would have to be in gdemu firmware. There is also talk of adding reset code into homebrew also.
ZTylerDurden
lithium

Post by ZTylerDurden »

dubcity wrote:As far as I know this isn't possible. I think it would have to be in gdemu firmware. There is also talk of adding reset code into homebrew also.

Appreciate the reply. Do you have any advice on how to possibly get in contact with the gdemu folks (Deunan?) to add it to a list of possible enhancements like a git request? The ini file has time-related functions already so it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Also, what do you mean by adding reset into homebrew? Like homebrew games where you inject the .gdi with some reset code or?
Last edited by ZTylerDurden on Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

No where you rebuild from source and add it to homebrew all of mine will have it going forward and be updated it with it.. NO injecting it's rebuild from source for homebrew adding the coded needed..
ZTylerDurden
lithium

Post by ZTylerDurden »

Ian Micheal wrote:No where you rebuild from source and add it to homebrew all of mine will have it going forward and be updated it with it.. NO injecting it's rebuild from source for homebrew adding the coded needed..

What's up Ian?! Thanks for the reply and appreciate your work.

Honestly I've done a bit of tinkering with DC but haven't delved into homebrew for DC. If you got a link to the project, I'll play catch up. In other words, it sounds like this is something I can use in the future so it's definitely valuable to me.
Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

ZTylerDurden wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:No where you rebuild from source and add it to homebrew all of mine will have it going forward and be updated it with it.. NO injecting it's rebuild from source for homebrew adding the coded needed..

Honestly I've done a bit of tinkering with DC but haven't delved into homebrew for DC. If you got a link to the project, I'll play catch up. In other words, it sounds like this is something I can use in the future so it's definitely valuable to me.
Add this under your int main

Code: Select all

cont_btn_callback(0, CONT_START | CONT_A | CONT_B | CONT_X | CONT_Y, (cont_btn_callback_t)arch_reboot);
ZTylerDurden
lithium

Post by ZTylerDurden »

Ian Micheal wrote:
ZTylerDurden wrote:

cont_btn_callback(0, CONT_START | CONT_A | CONT_B | CONT_X | CONT_Y, (cont_btn_callback_t)arch_reboot);
Holy shit, thanks. I got a DC with gdemu, that's it. I don't know much else about DC modding. You have a link to a monkey-see-monkey-do hombrew101 link for me to implement that line of code?
Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

ZTylerDurden wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:
ZTylerDurden wrote:

Holy shit, thanks. I got a DC with gdemu, that's it. I don't know much else about DC modding. You have a link to a monkey-see-monkey-do hombrew101 link for me to implement that line of code?
I dont have any links to anything ?
ZTylerDurden
lithium

Post by ZTylerDurden »

Ian Micheal wrote:
ZTylerDurden wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:

I dont have any links to anything ?

Say no more my dude. I'm on it.
SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post by SMiTH »

if you guys solved it already, cool.
more than likely ian got it.

what if you made a small .cdi with incorrect lba? this would force reset.

or build a cdi using only ginreset.bin or ginxfer.bin?
ginxfer(transfer to menu) ginreset(reset console)
ginxfer basically does this : CONT_START | CONT_A | CONT_B | CONT_X | CONT_Y (that button combo reset thingy)
well ginxfer transfers to the loader menu but i'm sure you could mod it to work?
then maybe a script to load this .cdi after idle?

idk lol

can you not reset gdemu from menu? (sry idk i'm getting a gdemu next month)
if not building these cdis should do the trick?
or i could be wrong and if so oh well.
lmk.