CDI to GDI convert? any guide to understand?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

MoeFoh
Uber

Re: CDI to GDI convert? any guide to understand?

Post#11 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:55 am

KmusDC wrote:Good afternoon dreamers. Is there any guide to convert CDI images to GDI? Please, if so, would you be so kind as to share the link. Greetings. ;)

You must referring to megavolt's highly specialized Dreamshell loader for HDD's, which provides low level emulation - that's what makes it work, but makes the reworked GDI's not compatible with other configurations.

http://www.dc-swat.ru/forum/thread-3525.html
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#12 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:34 pm

mrneo240 wrote:Any homebrew I release will be cdi & gdi for future.

How are you going to convert KOS (assuming) to GDI?
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

megavolt85
Developer

Post#13 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:08 pm

just add a patch to the openmenu that disables the LBA check of the executable file and DS-GDI will work fine on GDEMU (except for the special D2 image with automatic disk change)

as for converting homebrew CDI to GDI, there are no instructions, it all depends on the version of KOS with which the game is built, all the necessary functions are searched through the disassembler and corrected manually through the HEX editor directly by machine code

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#14 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:04 pm

That's why i'm happy with my Dreamcast with a CF-card slot carved into the side.
For homebrew I can just build a single LBA0 sd-iso.
It also works for most katana stuff if I hack the LBA values to zero + 166 (A600).

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#15 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:16 pm

megavolt85 wrote:just add a patch to the openmenu that disables the LBA check of the executable file and DS-GDI will work fine on GDEMU (except for the special D2 image with automatic disk change)

as for converting homebrew CDI to GDI, there are no instructions, it all depends on the version of KOS with which the game is built, all the necessary functions are searched through the disassembler and corrected manually through the HEX editor directly by machine code

Is it possible to write a KOS to GDI conversion program? Or, will it always need to be manually done on a game by game basis.
- Charles Bukowski

megavolt85
Developer

Post#16 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:10 pm

MoeFoh wrote:Is it possible to write a KOS to GDI conversion program? Or, will it always need to be manually done on a game by game basis.

There are too many different versions of KOS, and the same version can be built with different optimization flags.
Theoretically, it is possible to write a universal program, but I'm afraid that manual hacking will be faster than writing a program