Dashy no Blast - Pre-Alpha Halloween Demo from Voxel

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Re: Dashy no Blast - Pre-Alpha Halloween Demo from Voxel

Post#11 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:44 pm

Welcome mr Voxel !

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:20 pm

Jus burnt! Absolutely stunning!! ..but I get to pumpkin kids and no respawn when die

Oh wow, it plays on s-vid jus fine too

voxel
noob

Post#13 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:42 am

mistamontiel wrote:Jus burnt! Absolutely stunning!! ..but I get to pumpkin kids and no respawn when die

Sorry, difficulty is pretty unbalanced at the moment. Are you using the right trigger to lock-on to enemies?

Oh wow, it plays on s-vid jus fine too
I heard someone had it run OK on SCART RGB too, but honestly I don't understand how or why it works. I guess KallistiOS / GLdc is falling back to a working default, but the game is currently hardcoded for 60fps so it'll run slower than intended if someone has the game running at 50 or 30 fps

galaxygod
core

Post#14 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:19 pm

awesome job Voxel! took me a few tries but i got through the demo! i really like the movement in the game, it reminds me of if rainbow cotton wasnt an onrails shooter. also the models all look really fun and colorful, hoping this project continues because that was a lot of fun!

voxel
noob

Post#15 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:29 am

I'm trying to decide on how to expand the gameplay beyond shooting simple waves of enemies and then progressing to the next map. After listening to everyone complaining about Cannon Spike's gameplay in Dreamcast Junkyard #109 (thanks SpaceHoliday), I'm convinced that more is needed. I'm considering some kind of roguelite map randomisation (think Binding of Isaac'?) and finding powerups, but on the other hand I don't want the project to blow way out of scope and join my vast Smaug-like horde of unfinished games. Any and all suggestions appreciated

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#16 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:44 am

voxel wrote:I'm trying to decide on how to expand the gameplay beyond shooting simple waves of enemies and then progressing to the next map. After listening to everyone complaining about Cannon Spike's gameplay in Dreamcast Junkyard #109 (thanks SpaceHoliday), I'm convinced that more is needed. I'm considering some kind of roguelite map randomisation (think Binding of Isaac'?) and finding powerups, but on the other hand I don't want the project to blow way out of scope and join my vast Smaug-like horde of unfinished games. Any and all suggestions appreciated

I think it's fine to have it load blast lot then move to the next map and keep it simple to avoid feature creep and such can always do that other stuff for version 2 :)

Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind

Post#17 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:00 am

Keep to your "Cannon Spike/Gunspike" gameplay, improve expand on the core gameplay. Cannon Spike wasn't all that game breaking to begin with so why the fuss? Many games are similar to each other.

SpaceHoliday
dark night

Post#18 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:20 am

Please continue as you were, Voxel. Cannon Spike’s gameplay is completely fine - my main gripe on that podcast was its $300+ price tag!
Visit The Dreamcast Junkyard: http://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk

galaxygod
core

Post#19 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:03 pm

voxel wrote:I'm trying to decide on how to expand the gameplay beyond shooting simple waves of enemies and then progressing to the next map. After listening to everyone complaining about Cannon Spike's gameplay in Dreamcast Junkyard #109 (thanks SpaceHoliday), I'm convinced that more is needed. I'm considering some kind of roguelite map randomisation (think Binding of Isaac'?) and finding powerups, but on the other hand I don't want the project to blow way out of scope and join my vast Smaug-like horde of unfinished games. Any and all suggestions appreciated

I think gradually harder waves of enemies with harder boss battles would be pretty fun, the textorcist was just 10 boss fights and that was one of my favorite indie games. Maybe hidden collectibles or upgrades would be fun too and make people want to replay a few times

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#20 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:36 pm

Maybe some stage destruction, like in Dreamcast's Expendable.