Dreamcast Phantasy Star Complete RELEASE! and multi lang update

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Dreamcast Phantasy Star Complete RELEASE!

Post#41 » Thu May 04, 2023 8:43 pm

luka wrote:I assume this works with a GDEMU?

Also, making sure it only runs on real hardware is just strange and unnecessary elitism.

Greetings to all. I've noticed some questions regarding my project's functionality on DC emulators, and I would like to take the opportunity to provide some clarity on the matter. To put it simply, none of the Genesis games work on DC emulators, hence my decision to not include support for them. Main offenders are redream and flycast and nulldc. But for my emu killer to work it also stops Demul.

As a developer with over two decades of experience, I have always coded for hardware and profiled on the real machine. This approach has consistently yielded superior results, and it is a testament to the importance of programming for the target platform. Therefore, I found it necessary to exclude support for DC emulators, as they are not optimized for this purpose.

While I understand that there may be some who prefer to use DC emulators for this purpose, it is my belief that this approach is suboptimal and is not aligned with the original intent of the hardware. I am open to feedback and constructive criticism, but I must emphasize that I have a personal obligation to uphold the quality and integrity of my projects.

Lastly, I would like to extend my gratitude to those who have shown support for my work. Your encouragement is greatly appreciated, and I will continue to strive to provide projects that are of interest to you. If you require any further information or clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Respectfully, Ian micheal

luka
shadow

Post#42 » Thu May 04, 2023 9:01 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
luka wrote:I assume this works with a GDEMU?

Also, making sure it only runs on real hardware is just strange and unnecessary elitism.

Greetings to all. I've noticed some questions regarding my project's functionality on DC emulators, and I would like to take the opportunity to provide some clarity on the matter. To put it simply, none of the Genesis games work on DC emulators, hence my decision to not include support for them. Main offenders are redream and flycast and nulldc. But for my emu killer to work it also stops Demul.

As a developer with over two decades of experience, I have always coded for hardware and profiled on the real machine. This approach has consistently yielded superior results, and it is a testament to the importance of programming for the target platform. Therefore, I found it necessary to exclude support for DC emulators, as they are not optimized for this purpose.

While I understand that there may be some who prefer to use DC emulators for this purpose, it is my belief that this approach is suboptimal and is not aligned with the original intent of the hardware. I am open to feedback and constructive criticism, but I must emphasize that I have a personal obligation to uphold the quality and integrity of my projects.

Lastly, I would like to extend my gratitude to those who have shown support for my work. Your encouragement is greatly appreciated, and I will continue to strive to provide projects that are of interest to you. If you require any further information or clarification, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Respectfully, Ian micheal

Hearing your perspective it does sound perfectly reasonable to not want to officially support it, forgive me for the assumption. However I think intentionally suppressing it's ability to run on an emulator and telling people to "play it another way" can come off as exclusionary or elitist. Personally, I think people should be free to download it, try to run it on their emulator, and see that it does not work correctly, but I can also see why it could be really frustrating to be on the receiving end of complaints about it not working correctly. Either way, thank you for the collection! I will be happy to play it.

gAm3_Fr3aQu3
shadow

Post#43 » Thu May 04, 2023 10:26 pm

Ian the magician. Thank you, sir!

KnightNZ
shadow

Post#45 » Sat May 06, 2023 1:14 am

Tried running this on a MODE on a PAL unit (if that matters) and it loops on the "Only works on a real Dreamcast" screen.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#46 » Sat May 06, 2023 1:31 am

KnightNZ wrote:Tried running this on a MODE on a PAL unit (if that matters) and it loops on the "Only works on a real Dreamcast" screen.

I can only confirm GDEMU and CDR.

I have had problems with MODE in the past with my releases.

You also had a vmu inserted ?

Does the mode use g1 bus ? or can you turn that off in settings

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#47 » Sat May 06, 2023 6:11 am

Awesome work on this!

I don't want to get too deep into it, but I can't understand the response about this being console-only. If you want to play this on an emulator... then you can play these games in the usual way on their respective emulators. This is clearly a compilation for people who would like to enjoy/own the games on their actual Dreamcasts. There's no point playing an emulator through an emulator for novelty's sake.

I also much prefer instances like these, where the software has painstakingly been tested for original hardware, than the many hacks out there that make no effort to keep the original hardware in mind whatsoever. All hacks are born out of creativity, but ones like this are particularly special for respecting the hardware that it's designed to run on.

I should stress that this isn't intended as a slight upon anyone wanting to play it - just my perspective on the debate.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#48 » Sat May 06, 2023 8:15 am

KnightNZ wrote:Tried running this on a MODE on a PAL unit (if that matters) and it loops on the "Only works on a real Dreamcast" screen.

Can confirm now thanks derek (ateam)

That it works fine on USB GDEMU
but it fails to work ON MODE..

Another why to buy a GDEMU clone ..

Sorry right now till the mode dev ether fixes it MODE is not compatible.. :(

MODE DEV's know how to fix it so in time it be fixed ..

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#49 » Sat May 06, 2023 12:17 pm

There are certain things that only Dreamcast hardware can do that has yet to be implemented in the Dreamcast emulators (and may never be). That worries me because one day there will be no more working Dreamcast hardware.
Last edited by MoeFoh on Sat May 06, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#50 » Sat May 06, 2023 3:26 pm

I finally try it. AND BRAVO !