Bangai-Oh VGA Patch

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

streeker
fragger

Re: Bangai-Oh VGA Patch

Post#121 » Mon May 01, 2023 4:16 pm

pitito wrote:Thanks to the patch for Air Force Delta US provided by @TapamN, I was able to locate the values for DEADLY SKIES (PAL version of the game)
File 0.000 (It is the game binary)
offset
0xFF16 change 2AE4 to 01E4
0x170BE2 change 8002 to 4001
0x1A726A change 01C9 to 01E0

It works. Thank you!

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#122 » Mon May 01, 2023 5:13 pm

TapamN wrote:
ateam wrote:Anyway, that's as far as I got in my high-level analysis of a potential VGA patch for "Seven Mansions: Ghastly Smile". I'm sure it's do-able, but I just don't have the time to dig deeper (for now). It goes without saying that should a VGA patch be developed for this game, my friends who did the English translation patch will incorporate it into an update for all to enjoy.

Oh, the translation wasn't already patched? I'll take a look at it then.

pcwzrd13 wrote:Interesting. Maybe my capture device doesn't like something about it, which is odd considering it takes all the weird VGA signals some of these games output. lol

I don't get flicker on my CRT, and I don't see anything unusual about the register settings (like I did with Hydro Thunder). That weird green gradient doesn't look like something the DC would be generating. I think the problem is that the game is just so bad your capture device is getting sick. I can't fix that.

Yeah , it's one of the most well known games that refused to boot in vga. I remember someone trying for years to make it work . Guess it did not work out.

Retrofan21
rebel

Post#123 » Tue May 02, 2023 10:45 am

Thank you everyone who worked on these VGA patches. Bangai-Oh works perfectly on my setup. Airforce Delta's VGA patch mostly works but most of your plane is cropped in 3rd person view as shown by my video after the 32 seconds mark. Now compare my video to this IPlaySEGA playthrough of how 3rd person should look at the 3:34 mark.

my test footage of Airforce Delta's VGA Patch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJdCBdB_Y4c/

IPlaySega's playthough of Airforce Delta in Non-VGA mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-hAJ9j0KNM

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post#124 » Tue May 02, 2023 3:54 pm

With this method, can we also patch Skies of Arcadia Pal to have the correct game speed?

It could be great to make a codebreaker code also to use with the original copy.

TapamN
letterbomb

Post#125 » Tue May 02, 2023 4:01 pm

Retrofan21 wrote:Thank you everyone who worked on these VGA patches. Bangai-Oh works perfectly on my setup. Airforce Delta's VGA patch mostly works but most of your plane is cropped in 3rd person view as shown by my video after the 32 seconds mark. Now compare my video to this IPlaySEGA playthrough of how 3rd person should look at the 3:34 mark.

I didn't notice that. Instead of finding a place here or there to change, I'm rewriting the NTSC mode setting function from scratch to take the NTSC settings and output a VGA signal. It should help avoid things like that, since ONLY the signal is getting changed, and not also a bunch of other things to nudge it to get the right output. I should also be able to keep NTSC compatibility, instead of making it VGA only. I've been busy playing Rent-A-Hero though...

VirtuaShenmue wrote:With this method, can we also patch Skies of Arcadia Pal to have the correct game speed?

If there's an easy way to convert it to PAL60, then maybe? I haven't paid much attention to the PAL mode setting code, so I don't really know what would need to be done. Getting PAL50 to run the same speed as NTSC would definitely be too much work.

plorp
shadow

Post#126 » Tue May 02, 2023 6:55 pm

What a time to be a Dreamcast Fan. @TapamN i think i can speak for the whole community when I say thank you for your work on this.

areyareadyherewego
photon blast

Post#127 » Wed May 03, 2023 2:05 pm

this is awesome work tysm!

so to skim the thread so far Hydro Thunder is good to go with v1.020 being patched

any other titles that are in their final form with the patch or a bunch of WIP?

nextlie
rebel

Post#128 » Wed May 03, 2023 10:15 pm

Wow, allot of VGA patches are coming from here! very thanks you so much!
I know is allot to ask, but a patch for Dance Dance Revolution: 2nd Mix or a tutorial to do it myself exist? i play it allot and its the only game without vga I use.

fraggle200
chill

Post#129 » Thu May 04, 2023 4:05 am

areyareadyherewego wrote:this is awesome work tysm!

so to skim the thread so far Hydro Thunder is good to go with v1.020 being patched

any other titles that are in their final form with the patch or a bunch of WIP?

I guess everything that's been done works on VGA so you could take those to be final if you only care about VGA, but from TapamN's posts I get the feeling the there's a little finessing going on to better implement the VGA so that we don't also lose NTSC in some cases as well.

nextlie wrote:Wow, allot of VGA patches are coming from here! very thanks you so much!
I know is allot to ask, but a patch for Dance Dance Revolution: 2nd Mix or a tutorial to do it myself exist? i play it allot and its the only game without vga I use.

Given there's not hundreds of Non-VGA games I reckon they'll all get done eventually.

Impacto
dark night

Post#130 » Thu May 04, 2023 6:10 am

Im sad about seven mansions not be that easy to implement VGA.

I heard things about the protagonist be raped by a mad doctor in other to get a medicine.

I really would like to try that game.