NullDC in Windows 11

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

tdalton
noob

NullDC in Windows 11

Post#1 » Sat May 13, 2023 12:12 pm

I'm trying to add Dreamcast to my Hyperspin system but NullDC doesn't want to run. I have Direct X9, the VB and C++ libraries, etc. and when I run it, I get: The application was unable to start correctly (0x000007b). I've looked into this error and tried a bunch of stuff and it still doesn't work. Demul .7 runs just fine but I wasn't able to find any tutorial to get it running in Hyperspin and can get it to launch through it but it doesn't exit or come up centered on screen or work with the bezel I selected so went back to try NullDC but if it doesn't work with Windows 11, I will leave it alone just was hoping someone knew. Thanks.

Hunk_4TH
Anarki

Re: NullDC in Windows 11

Post#2 » Sat May 13, 2023 5:04 pm

Why not use Flycast or the Flycast core in Retroarch?

Shock8
shadow

Post#3 » Sat May 13, 2023 6:04 pm

Hunk_4TH wrote:Why not use Flycast or the Flycast core in Retroarch?

Probably not the reason he wants it, but NullDC is the only Windows emulator with a built in debugger, as far as I know. Getting it to run is a pain, though.

Hunk_4TH
Anarki

Post#4 » Sat May 13, 2023 7:19 pm

Shock8 wrote:
Hunk_4TH wrote:Why not use Flycast or the Flycast core in Retroarch?

Probably not the reason he wants it, but NullDC is the only Windows emulator with a built in debugger, as far as I know. Getting it to run is a pain, though.

Oh I didn't think about that. And yes it is very much so!

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#5 » Sat May 13, 2023 8:09 pm

I think Flycast can be compiled with a debugger option. There are several devs here that use it that way.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Shock8
shadow

Post#6 » Sat May 13, 2023 8:52 pm

MoeFoh wrote:I think Flycast can be compiled with a debugger option. There are several devs here that use it that way.

Really, now? Might just have to look into that.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#7 » Sun May 14, 2023 6:55 am

not a proper debugger, but on same Flycast you can enable the output debug file, going into the 'advanced' option submenu

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#8 » Sun May 14, 2023 7:47 am

Shock8 wrote:
MoeFoh wrote:I think Flycast can be compiled with a debugger option. There are several devs here that use it that way.

Really, now? Might just have to look into that.

I was thinking ioncannon (daytona 500 online project) and TapamN (vga patches) were using Flycast this way, but I could be wrong. They would be the two devs I would ask.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

DudeFace
noob

Post#9 » Sun May 28, 2023 3:08 pm

according to google your error points to .Net framework or a 32bit app thats not compatible with a 64 bit Os, since im running NullDc 104 r136 on
win7 x64, it could be your Net framework, i'm pretty sure Net framework 3.5 is turned off by default on win10 and 11.
go into "turn windows features on or off" scroll to net framework and make sure the box is checked to turn it on, which ever version it is v3.5 or later, make sure u have an internet connection as it may need to download files.

im also running NullDc 104 r136 on an old nvidia 7 series gpu which is DX9 only, and it works well, for directx9 i always install a few redists,
like with most things just installing the lastest version may not include all files from earlier versions.

i install these 4 in order, june 2010 is Version 9.29.1974 which is the final version of DX9.

directx_dec2006_redist
directx_aug2007_redist
directX-90c-x86-x86_64-Nov2007
directX-9.0c-Jun-10

also in windows 11 you have to enable directplay, if you havent done this go back into "turn windows features on or off", scroll down to legacy components and check the box for directplay, again you need an internet connection as it will have to download files, now you should have no issues with DX9

if this hasnt fixed your issue the next thing to look at would be your VCredist's, if like me you installed microsofts 2022 all in one vcredist installer, this will also be a problem as one of the packs is bugged, i think its either 2015 or 2017, i forget. i had a bunch of stuff that wouldnt run and this was the issue.

i uninstalled redists 2015,2017,2019,2022 (both X86 and X64 versions) through the control panel, then downloaded microsofts updated installer which covers 2015,2017,2019,2022,2023, and this fixed the problem of things not starting.

Hopefully one of these will solve your issue.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#10 » Mon May 29, 2023 2:11 am

i havent tried myself yet, but im wondering if the daily developer builds (not master builds) have the debugger enabled, due the debugging purpose

https://flyinghead.github.io/flycast-builds/