USB4MAPLE adapter

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Tankish83
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: saving up to get a broadband adapter to play quake 3 and pso

Re: USB4MAPLE adapter

Post by Tankish83 »

I'm always fascinated by what people come up with to take advantage of the dreamcast

Drd00m
rebel

Post by Drd00m »

megavolt85 wrote:
Drd00m wrote:I know the transmission of information is faster in the controller port compared to the back port of the dreamcast.
who told you such nonsense?
if someone told you that maple has high speed, slap that person in the face, he doesn’t understand anything about dreamcast hardware.

Most people read the documentation diagonally, a person sees that the speed of MAPLE is 4 megabits per second and considers this to be true.
Yes, via MAPLE you can transfer data at a speed of 4 megabits per second, but in total you can transfer 60 packets of one kilobyte per second (NTSC and VGA only, for PAL is 50 packets).
60*1024=61440 Byte/s
61440*8=491520 bps
491520/1024=480 Kbps
480/1024=0.46875 Mbps
Well, how do you like high speed? and I calculated this only for ideal conditions; in reality, the speed will be even lower.
for comparison, I use the SCIF port in native mode with about the same speed, soft SPI for SD card is 15 times faster
THANKS FOR THE INFO MEGAVOLT

Riggles
Fancy Pants Admin

Post by Riggles »

Wait a minute, hold the phone.

"4) Switching virtual VMUs using buttons is not provided; for GDEMU owners using openmenu, images will be switched (created if they are missing) automatically, a little later this functionality will be added to DreamShell"

Am I reading this correctly? Are we getting virtual VMU's in the same vain as virtual memory cards with the gamecube? Where gdemu loaded games can save directly to the serial port SD adapter? That would be absolutely insane.

If not, then the next best thing for me would be some kind of built in solution, the rp2040 built into the dreamcast itself, interrupting the pinout from there.

Either way, really impressive and interesting developments! :D

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

vmu dumps are created on a USB flash drive; dumps can be switched programmatically.
for example, openmenu sends the game ID to the adapter before starting the game, so each game has access to its own VMU

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

@megavolt Do you think it would be possible to identify the game somehow while just playing from the disc? Maybe by identifying the game by the data sent to the VMU for the VMU icon?
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

the only way for disks is to create a boot disk, but unfortunately not all pirated disks contained the original ID in IP.BIN, IP.BIN from other games was often used

seanami
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Gundam

Post by seanami »

I tried to do this myself and didn't seem to have any luck. The devices connected to it appear to be getting power but nothing will actually sync. For the 360 wireless adapter having it directly connected the led does not actually show green like when its connected to the PC. However if I push the sync button it flashes and attempting to sync a 360 controller gets stuck at the last part with the ROL on the controller just all flashing slowly.
Maybe I have a bad extension or something do not know. I tried my mchutlu fight stick I wired up separately and my Dreamconn wireless adapter works so it is weird. I have DCDigital and MODE in the system as well.

I don't think I wired anything wrong looking at all the pics posted here.
https://imgur.com/a/l9c0nQP

megavolt85
Developer

Post by megavolt85 »

what wireless receiver are you using?
I'm not sure if Chinese copies of receivers work

damn it, Chinese USB receivers are made of RF modules and this causes the adapter to freeze, I will fix this soon.
connect your USB receiver to your PC and look in the device manager what VID and PID it has

sh4
shadow

Post by sh4 »

Do wired usb mice work good? Prior to the new MegaVolt Tech the Dreamcast mouse was the most annoying thing....Even if you managed to get an official DC mouse it was the old roller ball version from last century.
"We should've listened to Sega’s weird fish....Now look where we are." -Anonymous-

seanami
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Gundam

Post by seanami »

megavolt85 wrote:what wireless receiver are you using?
I'm not sure if Chinese copies of receivers work

damn it, Chinese USB receivers are made of RF modules and this causes the adapter to freeze, I will fix this soon.
connect your USB receiver to your PC and look in the device manager what VID and PID it has
VID_045E
PID_0719