Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderator: VasiliyRS

User avatar
BlueCrab
Developer
Posts: 682

Re: Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Post#11 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:57 pm

If you're careful about it, its not that hard to write a program with portability in mind. But, you have to keep it in mind throughout the whole process. Also, you have to realize that the Dreamcast is a whole lot more limited than your PC is, so you have to keep the limitations in mind.

All in all, writing games for the Dreamcast isn't that hard, assuming you know how to program. Writing portable programs is a bit more difficult, but still not that hard.

User avatar
r34per
Anarki
Posts: 90

Re: Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Post#12 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:01 pm

BlueCrab wrote:If you're careful about it, its not that hard to write a program with portability in mind. But, you have to keep it in mind throughout the whole process. Also, you have to realize that the Dreamcast is a whole lot more limited than your PC is, so you have to keep the limitations in mind.

All in all, writing games for the Dreamcast isn't that hard, assuming you know how to program. Writing portable programs is a bit more difficult, but still not that hard.


like i heard that u need a dreamcast dev box to make dc games and stuff which is wut made me think about just porting. and i did keep that in mind as i was gonna make like half life mods and make games off the quake engine and stuff. btw c is the language i need to learn rite to code for the dc rite? bc thats wut im learning now
wait and bleed

User avatar
Anthony817
Leonard Nimoy
Posts: 1803

Re: Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Post#13 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 pm

How hard do you think it would be to port XNA games that are low requirements? I was thinking along the lines of Need for Speed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc_bNFG3IQ4[/youtube]

We were discussing it over at DCfan.ru.

http://www.dcfan.net.ru/forum/f108/how- ... #post54277
Image

User avatar
VasiliyRS
Uber
Posts: 1048
Contact:

Re: Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Post#14 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:28 pm

How hard do you think it would be to port XNA games that are low requirements?

Very hard !
The XNA Framework is based on the native implementation of .NET Compact Framework 2.0 for Xbox 360 development and .NET Framework 2.0 on Windows.

nuff said .

User avatar
r34per
Anarki
Posts: 90

Re: Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Post#15 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:30 pm

ok so it seems xna is great for porting pc games to dc. one question tho. do i need to know c++ or #c for xna? ive heard sum say xna uses c++ and others say it uses #c. so confused...
wait and bleed

TeamXlink
Rank 9
Posts: 952

Re: Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Post#16 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:58 pm

r34per wrote:ok so it seems xna is great for porting pc games to dc. one question tho. do i need to know c++ or #c for xna? ive heard sum say xna uses c++ and others say it uses #c. so confused...


XNA is not a great choice, it is based on Microsoft's .Net framework, which is supported only in Windows. For the Dreamcast the best right now in my opinion is KOS or Katanna SDK.

If you wanted to make a pc game in the XNA and port it to the Dreamcast these is an outline of the work:

Port PC Game to XNA - Port To Dreamcast

When you could just do:

Port PC Game to Dreamcast.

XNA isn't good for porting to the Dreamcast, it might be good for a mock-up of a game design, but then again your still waisting time doing that when you could be doing it correctly the first time which would make you progress not regress.
Last edited by TeamXlink on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
r34per
Anarki
Posts: 90

Re: Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Post#17 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:18 pm

TeamXlink wrote:
r34per wrote:ok so it seems xna is great for porting pc games to dc. one question tho. do i need to know c++ or #c for xna? ive heard sum say xna uses c++ and others say it uses #c. so confused...


XNA is not great, it is based on Microsoft's .Net framework, which is supported only in Windows. For the Dreamcast the best right now in my opinion is KOS or Katanna SDK.


hmm with katana sdk it seems i need a dev box(or could i run it in null dc? i hav a dev kit bios) but do i need a dev box for kos?
wait and bleed

User avatar
BlueCrab
Developer
Posts: 682

Re: Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Post#18 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Simply put, do not use Katana for any sort of homebrew development. There's basically no reason to, since KOS supports pretty much everything you might ever want to do anyway. Not only that, very few people will be able to help you with Katana due to the fact that pretty much no homebrew authors use it (due to the fact that you can't actually legally use Katana without a license, which you will never be able to get from Sega).

TeamXlink
Rank 9
Posts: 952

Re: Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Post#19 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:18 pm

BlueCrab wrote:Simply put, do not use Katana for any sort of homebrew development. There's basically no reason to, since KOS supports pretty much everything you might ever want to do anyway. Not only that, very few people will be able to help you with Katana due to the fact that pretty much no homebrew authors use it (due to the fact that you can't actually legally use Katana without a license, which you will never be able to get from Sega).


Yeah, about the only thing KOS is missing is the ppp support.

User avatar
Anthony817
Leonard Nimoy
Posts: 1803

Re: Links for folks wanting to develop on Dreamcast

Post#20 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:53 am

Ok, I thought it would be impossible, but I didn't think about the requirements. I just know that it is a small game, so thought the graphics shouldn't be a problem, but I guess the CPU would be underpowered.
Image

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users