The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Neohound
Gold Lion

Re: The Dolmexica Engine [Moddable 2D Fighter]

Post#91 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Great stuff Captain ! You know you have a real talent for talking (what is to me) techno-babble and turning it into something interesting and humorous to read ;) :lol:

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post#92 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 am

CaptainDC whats the progress on the engine mate? We haven't heard from you for a while, any improvements as yet ?
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#93 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:03 pm

PhiseJr wrote:CaptainDC whats the progress on the engine mate? We haven't heard from you for a while, any improvements as yet ?

Not that many, I'm afraid. :|

Writing the modding guides took a whole lot longer than expected. >_<
On the upside, all of the guides (except the one for creating the CD, that's not done yet...) are final, meaning that all future changes to them will be optional additions. So yeah, maybe you could use them to see if your game idea is "compatible" with the engine. I really hope it is, but if it's not, I'm sure we'll find a way to include more "awesomeness" make it work. :mrgreen:
Still lacks guides about creating Win Quotes (the ones displayed after winning in Arcade Mode or Story Mode (CPU only)) and for creating so-called Fight Animations, the ones like "Fight!", "Round 1" or "Continue?".

Also: Yup, the site layout sucks and the memes are not funny. Of course, that's purely intentional, so they don't... uhhh... distract from reading the guides. Yeah.

Other than that... the White Version is STILL complete. There was a third character planned, but it had to be scrapped. Instead, I decided to go back to patch up Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat. That one should work quicker, as I still have all the sprites and it is more of a "conversion" process to adapt/create them using the guides and the Dolmexilers (D-Engine tools). Main problem here are the stages, but hey. :D

Technobabble (still my favorite):
There are still severe problems with the Artificial Intelligence. For kickstarters, the difficulty is no longer selectable, as it caused characters to stutter, which in turn made me freak out, because I thought the framerate went down. To make things worse, there is little to no variation in the CPU's pattern. This means that once you find a character's weakness, you can exploit it forever. Not really a gamebreaker, but annoying as hell. Hope it's fixed 'till the 1.0.0 release... :?

Other than that... Nah, it's nothing. Gotta keep a few mysteries, right? :lol:

Sorry for not posting more, I was kinda disappointed after missing another planned release date. Sheesh, either I'm a complete idiot or that stuff is completely unplannable! :x

Just a small remark, but I really love how much the DC fighting scene is prospering lately. A (hopefully cool-to-mod-for) 2D engine, (some kind of) a 3D engine, a (probable) commercial release... Here's one hoping the trend continues! :P
For Great Justice!

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post#94 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:39 pm

Writing the modding guides took a whole lot longer than expected. >_<
On the upside, all of the guides (except the one for creating the CD, that's not done yet...) are final, meaning that all future changes to them will be optional additions. So yeah, maybe you could use them to see if your game idea is "compatible" with the engine. I really hope it is, but if it's not, I'm sure we'll find a way to include more "awesomeness" make it work. :mrgreen:
Still lacks guides about creating Win Quotes (the ones displayed after winning in Arcade Mode or Story Mode (CPU only)) and for creating so-called Fight Animations, the ones like "Fight!", "Round 1" or "Continue?".

Also: Yup, the site layout sucks and the memes are not funny. Of course, that's purely intentional, so they don't... uhhh... distract from reading the guides. Yeah.

Other than that... the White Version is STILL complete. There was a third character planned, but it had to be scrapped. Instead, I decided to go back to patch up Street Fighter vs. Mortal Kombat. That one should work quicker, as I still have all the sprites and it is more of a "conversion" process to adapt/create them using the guides and the Dolmexilers (D-Engine tools). Main problem here are the stages, but hey. :D

Technobabble (still my favorite):
There are still severe problems with the Artificial Intelligence. For kickstarters, the difficulty is no longer selectable, as it caused characters to stutter, which in turn made me freak out, because I thought the framerate went down. To make things worse, there is little to no variation in the CPU's pattern. This means that once you find a character's weakness, you can exploit it forever. Not really a gamebreaker, but annoying as hell. Hope it's fixed 'till the 1.0.0 release... :?

Other than that... Nah, it's nothing. Gotta keep a few mysteries, right? :lol:

Sorry for not posting more, I was kinda disappointed after missing another planned release date. Sheesh, either I'm a complete idiot or that stuff is completely unplannable! :x

Just a small remark, but I really love how much the DC fighting scene is prospering lately. A (hopefully cool-to-mod-for) 2D engine, (some kind of) a 3D engine, a (probable) commercial release... Here's one hoping the trend continues! :P

Progress is progress none the less. I'm still interested and waiting of course and always up for progress. As far as my idea well the DC Crossover title It will work but I'm not to sure of devoting time into that title when I have characters of my own that I can be working on. But that idea did bring the life to my main idea. But sadly it work work with this title. because the game mechanics I have in mind are too complex for this engine. but of course I can still use this engine to make a different variation of the characters and titles.

The DC Fighting scene ? Prospering ? I'm Lost did something happen that I didn't know about ? I love Fighting Games.

And come on no secrets let me know, Share them with me :-D
Last edited by PhiseJr on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#95 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:56 pm

^maybe he just glanced quickly at your Fightoon thread.

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post#96 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:50 pm

dark wrote:^maybe he just glanced quickly at your Fightoon thread.

Oh yeah I was just wondering cause I thought I missed something hopefully I can get the quake engine to get the mechanics I want. Cause I heard 2d and 3d I didn't catch on to what he said just realized to what he said with mods able and 3d fighter
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#97 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:58 pm

dark wrote:^maybe he just glanced quickly at your Fightoon thread.

Guilty as charged.
For Great Justice!

rooster
photon blast

Post#98 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:10 pm

Wow! Looks like this has a lot of potential. I'd love to make some ungodly mash-up of Guilty Gear and SFIII. Will this be able to handle 640x480 resolution?

PhiseJr
drunken sailor

Post#99 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:00 pm

rooster wrote:Wow! Looks like this has a lot of potential. I'd love to make some ungodly mash-up of Guilty Gear and SFIII. Will this be able to handle 640x480 resolution?

I'm pretty sure it does support that resolution. And if it doesn't Captain will most likely implement it in later updates.

As for the GG and SFIII ? I can't be more uninspired and lame for the idea. Crossovers are worn out and tiring and dragged out by Capcom. outside of street fighter all they make is VS. Series games and its unoriginal and just so casual. Arc makes good fighting games as well but its all Anime Fighters with weapons, GG and BB look exactly the same just in different themes. This engine is based off a much hardcore platform and probably one of the best SFIII games. I had an Idea for a Dreamcast Crossover title but I decided not to contribute my time into someone else's content and instead work on my own. The last thing I want to see if this engine become an abused MUGEN with horribly balanced characters.
ドリームキャスト Dorīmukyasuto

helsinkirocks
noob

Post#100 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:03 pm

wantwantwant