Unreal Engine 4 and Dreamcast

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ruby
noob

Unreal Engine 4 and Dreamcast

Post#1 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:02 am

Greetings.
I'm a new developer and I'm currently working on a new game in the beginning stages. (Writing it and designing it.)
The main thing I really want for this game is for it to be 3D.
At first it was just going to be for pc and xbox and such.
But while surging around on youtube I started watching some old dreamcast videos. And I got the idea of putting the game on Dreamcast as well. But I have no idea how to program for the console.
So that's the problem.
Thus the question, is it possible to make a game with UE 4 for the dreamcast? If so, how?
Or do I have to learn some new code in order to convert it to the dreamcast?
Anyone know the answer to this issue?

Wombat
Vagabond

Re: Unreal Engine 4 and Dreamcast

Post#2 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:17 am

Impossible.

You'll have to make your own engine, use the Katana SDK (which is not legal without a license from SEGA) or resort to 3'rd party engines (probably the Dreamer engine is a good place to start)

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#3 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:14 pm

Wombat wrote:Impossible.

You'll have to make your own engine, use the Katana SDK (which is not legal without a license from SEGA) or resort to 3'rd party engines (probably the Dreamer engine is a good place to start)
The Katana SDK itself doesn't come with any sort of "engine" in the traditional sense. One would still have to be developed from scratch on it.

Basically, all Katana gives you is a bunch of hardware access libraries, with a couple of nice extra features (like custom model format loaders and the like). There's no real game "engine" in it, just the bits and pieces that could be put together (with a bunch of other code) to make one. In this regard, there's not all that much that Katana gives you that KallistiOS does not, especially if you're not all that keen on using really old (and expensive) 3D modeling software.

blatz42
rebel

Post#4 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:37 pm

You won't find an easy, drag and drop tool like UE4 for Dreamcast, unfortunately. :p. Gotta do everything the ol' fashioned way! xD