Emulation/Ports of higher RAM's systems

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

RoMagnusLarsson
dark night

Emulation/Ports of higher RAM's systems

Post#1 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:23 am

I wanted to post this issue I am observing time ago in emulation issues:
So I wonder is exists a case in which it was possible to emulate a system with a higher RAM than the console/machine system to emulate it ?

a) In other words, Is there a system emulation case/port in which a console system (Pref.Dreamcast) can emulate a higher RAM system ?
b)-Is there a work possible/viable to do with higher RAM systems to emulate them?
b) Which would basically be the work to do with higher RAM issues?

Roel
Developer

Re: Emulation/Ports of higher RAM's systems

Post#2 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:40 am

That would be like trying to fit a bigger box inside a smaller one. And compression is not likely a viable solution here.

If you can find a system that has more RAM, but significantly lower specs in other regards, AND a game that doesn't actually use that much RAM... Then it might work, but probably still won't.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:55 pm

You would have to re write the whole thing and you could save a lot with PVR VQ but where talking engine port and not emulation..

You could stream data and other things but this is slow and lot of things to think about if you used mmu like aes that loads 100 meg roms you need mmu sh4 map and it still ber very slow..

In the end like Roel it would prolly not work and spend years trying

Could not emulate higher ram you have to down port to what you have so in real world the answer is no

Could use Virtual memory very slow on sd card port but again this be a tech demo..

better off re writing said thing to use less

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Post#4 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:08 am

Thank you both
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-