Must have GENESIS emulator download (GENS4GOOD)

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Re: Must have GENESIS emulator download (GENS4GOOD) - Updated to ver. 4 (11-24-2021)

Post#31 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:21 pm

Jus went to Sonic 1 for tests because it's the obvious most damning sound of Genesis emulation ala Dreamcast

Drop-dead gorgeus.. TapamN+MastaG holy work THANK YOU!!

Hey Sonic 3D Blast not here lol I also wonder how the beastly Xeno Crisis would perform (did purchase) and I'm too shit nothing goes my favor when extract+modify CDIs

Oh cheet Gunstar Heroes neither, also curious with Panorama Cotton on this too, Japan-only she quite pushes the hardware, Toy Story too

KmusDC
fire

Re: Must have GENESIS emulator download (GENS4GOOD) - Updated to ver. 4 (11-24-2021)

Post#32 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:44 pm

MastaG wrote:So I got the time to create a release for Dreamshell/RetroDream.

Basically the procedure is as follows:
1. unpack the .cdi image with cdirip (look for the LBA for the second track, usually 11702)
2. Use isofix to create a fixed iso from tdata02.iso (which you extracted at step 1), with the correct LBA
3. Unpack the fixed.iso
4. unscramble the 1ST_READ.BIN
5. Use a HEX editor to replace E4745FA0 with EC745FA0 in 1ST_READ.BIN
6. Use mkisofs to create a new ISO file (assuming all files are in the "Gens" directory):
mkisofs -V GENS4ALL -C 0,0 -G Gens/IP.BIN -l -o gens4all.iso Gens

Done!

The release is really awesome, Sonic plays PERFECT!!!!

Download: https://mega.nz/file/G89FmYRS#7vNzZ5fJS ... jN-UlB9K8E

thank you very much, this is awesome. a great job :)

TapamN
letterbomb

Post#33 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:00 am

Dreamtastic wrote:Thank you very much for this! But to let you know sadly the Phantasy Star IV rom doesn't boot and leads to a black screen on the cdi image. I was looking forward to finally playing this on my dreamcast. But all the other ones i have tried are working well. It's amazing to finally play these at full speed on the DC i hope that you can get PS IV fixed though.

Edit: Also found that Crusader of Centy doesn't boot and is only a black screen as well. :(

PS4 worked when I tested it. I think I tested Centy one or twice, too? Try checking the ROM on a computer to see if it was burned correctly.

mistamontiel wrote:Hey Sonic 3D Blast not here lol I also wonder how the beastly Xeno Crisis would perform (did purchase) and I'm too shit nothing goes my favor when extract+modify CDIs

Oh cheet Gunstar Heroes neither, also curious with Panorama Cotton on this too, Japan-only she quite pushes the hardware, Toy Story too

Sonic 3D Blast works ok. The FMV has some issues (fixable) and some sprites are drawn in the wrong order (this isn't something that can be easily fixed). I haven't tried Xenocrisis, but I know the beginning of Tanglewood works. Gunstar Heroes is okish for the most part. The starfield background would probably have issues. I had Panorama Cotton working almost perfectly, at full speed, in earlier versions of the raster handling code. But after doing a rewrite,, I guess I added a bug that causes a ton of slow down and graphical errors (it can even cause the in-game emulator to disappear, though the menu still works).

If there's a game you want to try that isn't on the disc image, I think it's possible to swap CDs after the emulator has booted. When at the root directory, swap the disc out, wait for it to spin up completely, then open "/cd". If it doesn't read correctly, go back to the root, give it a couple more seconds, then go back to "/cd".

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#34 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:14 pm

I am unable to download the link on the first page. Anybody else get am error like this?

"Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to mega.nz. Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem."

SWOS
rebel

Post#35 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:01 pm

I have been testing this emulator a bit this weekend and hope to do so more over the coming weeks. It is really impressive.

Sensible Soccer or Champions World Class Soccer worked for me.

I have made a youtube video of it if anyone is interested.

James Pond 2 also worked and I hope to add a video of that over the coming week.

Lost Vikings also worked if I changed the controller to a 6 button one.

The only game I have had problems with so far is Canon Fodder - the background map tiles change colours from level 2 onwards.
Last edited by SWOS on Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamtastic
lithium

Post#36 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:30 pm

SWOS wrote:I have been testing this emulator a bit this weekend and hope to do so more over the coming weeks. It is really impressive.

Sensible Soccer or Champions World Class Soccer worked for me.

I have made a youtube video of it if anyone is interested.

[Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN3rwkMhl-A[/Youtube]

James Pond 2 also worked and I hope to add a video of that over the coming week.

Lost Vikings also worked if I changed the controller to a 6 button one.

The only game I have had problems with so far is Canon Fodder - the background map tiles change colours from level 2 onwards.

Does Phantasy Star IV work for you? I have been having trouble getting it to work. I even made a disc with Phantasy Star IV on it and still can't get it to boot. I made the CDI image twice and still can't seems to get it to run. I have run into a few games that simply black screen when i start them. I had Light Crusader in and transition screen lock up to a black screen as well in the first half hour.

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#37 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:32 am

Awesome emulator !

May I ask if anyone knows if there is a possibility to make a "standalone" image with a game ? Example renaming a rom to "boot" or "rom" and put it in the root before compiling ?

SWOS
rebel

Post#38 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:17 pm

Does Phantasy Star IV work for you? I have been having trouble getting it to work. I even made a disc with Phantasy Star IV on it and still can't get it to boot. I made the CDI image twice and still can't seems to get it to run. I have run into a few games that simply black screen when i start them. I had Light Crusader in and transition screen lock up to a black screen as well in the first half hour.

No - I just tried Phantasy Star from the original CDI image and just got a black screen- I don't actually have the rom for that game so cant try by putting it on a separate cd but it is included on the un released sega megadrive emulator the dreamcast that I saw discussed on Dreamcast junkyard -

https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/ ... r-for.html

The sound for that emulator doesn't seem as good as this latest Gens4all but the speed of some of the games seems to be better as sometimes some games seem to be running too fast on the gens4all.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#39 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:14 pm

They run correct 60fps might not be use to it.. Unreleased thing was PAL and used PAL roms..

use a good known set not things from PAL set

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#40 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:16 pm

SWOS wrote:

No - I just tried Phantasy Star from the original CDI image and just got a black screen- I don't actually have the rom for that game so cant try by putting it on a separate cd but it is included on the un released sega megadrive emulator the dreamcast that I saw discussed on Dreamcast junkyard -

https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/ ... r-for.html

The sound for that emulator doesn't seem as good as this latest Gens4all but the speed of some of the games seems to be better as sometimes some games seem to be running too fast on the gens4all.

Sound not being as good is the biggest understatement of the year todate the sound on unreleased thing bordline nails on a black board.
also using frameskip alos underclocking has not the correct pitch one of if not the worst emulators ever to be released for dreamcast
That included the smash pak version which should be thrown in the trash as fast as possible AT@games level of junk
That was also pal and ran too slow on most games..

Ntsc 60fps correct speed is gens4all