Genesis Emulator autostart one Rom file?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

pressstart
noob

Genesis Emulator autostart one Rom file?

Post#1 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:00 am

Hello,

i have a question about Sega genesis emulation on a Sega dreamcast. Is it possible to start only one rom automatically? Like a batch file or something. And if it possible could someone explain how to do?
I‘m very happy about answers.

Thanks in advance.
-press start-

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Re: Genesis Emulator autostart one Rom file?

Post#2 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:08 pm

I think the emulators are being worked on. There's one in homebrew talking about sound...to the best on my knowledge.

I'm pretty sure SNES is in a similar situation. Ian has released some downloads I've yet to find time to explore but I'm pretty sure it too is a WIP.

You can easily use Nester for NEW

SMS Plus for MasterSystem

Ian's on version 4 I think of his new Amiga500 use4all auto-bootin' solution

I think Gens4All is very close but I'm not sure

A long time ago I came across Genesis Plus SDL I believe it was called. On Zophar. It can do the single game deal but I've yet to mess with it myself and I think it's well out of date.

I'm sure someone will be along with a better explanation but as this has sat here for 2 days unaddressed I figured I'd tell you what I know, but, obvs, I am new to it all too.

When I can I'll make an organizing post that makes it easier to find all these with explanations that are more noob friendly. For example, and I do not mean this as a criticism, but if today was your first day and you just saw Gens4Good you're probably a bit lost because the entire thread is written for folks who already know what gens4all is.

I got plans to make a noob guide before I'm too into the stuff myself to remember what it was like to be new to all this. Just give me a few weeks to know what I'm talking about. Right now it's all a very slim understanding.

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#3 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:31 pm

pressstart wrote:Hello,

i have a question about Sega genesis emulation on a Sega dreamcast. Is it possible to start only one rom automatically? Like a batch file or something. And if it possible could someone explain how to do?
I‘m very happy about answers.

Thanks in advance.
-press start-

So, Zophar still has Genesis Plus SDL hosted. I gave it a download and found this little tid-bit of very interesting information. Copy/pasted direct from the port.txt in the zip:

#
# Genesis Plus (Dreamcast)
# Genesis Plus by Charles MacDonald
# Dreamcast first Kos port by BlackAura
# SDL Dreamcast port edit Ian micheal
# Dreamcast sound Stef D

********credit Stuff*************

This is the SDL version of Genesis Plus By Charles MacDonald
First port to dreamcast was BlackAura This SDL port this version is more of
a edit my OLD first SDL port i removed all sound and it was keyboard
So credit is given to black aura for parts of this port
as well.SDL(version) Dreamcast port edit by me Ian micheal.
Dreamcast sound by Stef D (gens author)
Now to the info.

some games work nice
early ones etc. Some run really jerky dont go playing sonic for gods sake.
Frameskip is set to 2.

Sound is lower sample rate and slowed to 30 fps.So it stays in time.

Root of cd //
1ST_READ.BIN
IP.BIN
Place a rom in
Roms/test1.bin

1ST_READ.BIN is scrambled unscramble for dream inducer. use demo menu.
Hex edit it etc you can have as many emus as you want.I cant code up a menu right now.
Doing my game at this time. Dont have the time or will for this
emu any more.

I worked on this a few hours
IT's Slow and jerky on some games For speed.
Some puzzle games work great and it is nice to see almost playable genisis emu with sound
On the dreamcast that is legal this is going to be alot better in the future but not by me.
Im going to be doing ground up homebrew games.

Place a screen shot on the template included and you can make unlimted SGG's Single game genesis emu's

Games that run well with sound are

Puyo Puyo
Shining force
frogger

Ect.

I emboldened the bits that I was a bit shocked to read, but really, I shouldn't be. lol Ian did EVERYTHING!!! already. lol. Dude's just a juggernaut of interesting, useful, and outright cool tools and solutions. This is old work from way back.

Shining Forces is a good series. I'm gonna give that a go.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:38 pm

That is very very old emulator slow speed we be better off with gens4all from tapamN the above was way way back lol I get you proper version soon

Speed and such on this is bit embarrassing these days lol

marchegiano
Quad Damage

Post#5 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:48 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:That is very very old emulator slow speed we be better off with gens4all from tapamN the above was way way back lol I get you proper version soon

I expect as much, it's ancient :lol:

That said, just the sheer amount of work, years, dedication to the community, there's absolutely nothing that could be embarrassing here. It is 2021, near 2022, and the files in my zip read 2004. 2004, just running is impressive, but, the fact that the same guy is right here right now is super impressive.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#6 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:51 pm

marchegiano wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:That is very very old emulator slow speed we be better off with gens4all from tapamN the above was way way back lol I get you proper version soon

I expect as much, it's ancient :lol:

That said, just the sheer amount of work, years, dedication to the community, there's absolutely nothing that could be embarrassing here. It is 2021, near 2022, and the files in my zip read 2004. 2004, just running is impressive, but, the fact that the same guy is right here right now is super impressive.

Thanks i love this community and the dreamcast :) such a great machine and to code for