Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

WedgeStratos
blackout!

GENS SMASH PACK: The Smashpack Stand-In Anniversary Release

Post#1 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:24 pm

GENS SMASH PACK
Anniversary Release

gens4all smash pack stand-in case cover.png

On January 31, 2001, two major events took place in the gaming industry, and in our exact circle: The release of "Sega Smash Pack Volume 1" which would be the only volume released on the Dreamcast, and SEGA's announcement that they would be departing the video game console market.. 21 years later, we still enjoy the Dreamcast, and we are now able to drop the Smash Pack once and for all.

GENS SMASH PACK is powered by TapamN's improved Gens4all emulator, now on version 4.3 with added support for 240p mode. The Smash Pack compilations released between 1999 and 2003 for PC, Dreamcast and GBA, totaling 24 unique games. Due to limitations in Gens4all's emulation, 2 games have had to be replaced with alternatives, and only one game (Lose Your Marbles) has no equivalent game available on the Genesis or Mega Drive.

Download now! Includes CDI for burning or GDemu, and Dreamshell-compatible ISO

► Show Spoiler

Some of you might find this familiar, and that is because I have updated this release I initially made as a test of the Gens4all emulator. This release sees Wrestle War being put back in place, and Mega Swirl being added in, as well as updating the emulator core to 4.3, which makes game saving work like a charm now, and the addition of 240p rendering for CRT users (press Y before hitting Start at the Gens4all menu). This release also takes proper advantage of gamelist support introduced in 4.0 of the emulator.

This is partially a testing ground for me to make my larger Gens4Dreams release better, but I found it to be worth updating, since this emulator is far and away superior to Sega's own Smash Pack release, with only the presentation itself lacking. While most will probably stick to Gens4Dreams due to its completeness, some might just want a package that is more authentic to what Sega releases. I hope this justifies being used over the real Smash Pack, at the very least.
Last edited by WedgeStratos on Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: GENS SMASH PACK: The Smashpack Stand-In Anniversary Release

Post#2 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 pm

Wonderful about time that official thing got binned IN the bin with it..

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#3 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:36 pm

Like an ultimate smash pack combining all the games. I like it Wedge. Good job.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#4 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:43 pm

Just did a quick hotfix. Added "Shadow: off" to Kawasaki Superbike Challenge, Vectorman and Vectorman 2, to deal with HUD issues. Both CDI and ISO should be new versions.

Kawasaki Superbike Challenge does still have rendering issues at the top and bottom of the game area, but it's perfectly playable.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#5 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:49 am

Ah! very cool idea :)
something new and nostalgic at the same time

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#6 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:28 pm

One of the best releases of homebrew in the last 12 months. :D

Also, the only Dreamcast commercial title which included notes to the warez group Echelon on hacking the release. :lol:
https://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=97250
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#7 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:55 pm

Also thank you for following my pattern of releasing iso and cdi in one zip. I think all homebrew should release this way unless in gdi format.

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#8 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:41 pm

dubcity wrote:Also thank you for following my pattern of releasing iso and cdi in one zip. I think all homebrew should release this way unless in gdi format.

It was arguably easier to make the ISO than CDI, but I feel it only worked this well because of how small this release was. I am not doing the same with Gens4Dreams, they will remain separate posts until I have confidence in the release structure.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#9 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:18 pm

WedgeStratos wrote:
dubcity wrote:Also thank you for following my pattern of releasing iso and cdi in one zip. I think all homebrew should release this way unless in gdi format.

It was arguably easier to make the ISO than CDI, but I feel it only worked this well because of how small this release was. I am not doing the same with Gens4Dreams, they will remain separate posts until I have confidence in the release structure.

What works easiest for me is lazyboot. I make the cdi first then make the iso last.

vampkaze
noob

Post#10 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:48 am

very good :) How to create GAMELIST.BIN? please, let me know, thanks.