Atari ST emulation on the DC ?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

DreamCasting
dark night

Atari ST emulation on the DC ?

Post#1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:50 pm

Ok, so I know that the DC can emulate the Atari ST and at least play some games.

The emulator is Chui's DCaSTaway, but has development come to a stop?
What exactly is the last Release Candidate of the emulator?
Similarly to UAE are there any selfboot cdi's or perhaps a games compilation that works really well available?

Maybe there's not much interest because Amiga and its games are superior but there may be some ST games prior to Amiga release that still could be worth checking out (if emulation works with them).

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: Atari ST emulation on the DC ?

Post#2 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:48 am

I always wanted an atari st computer.
something about the style of the st seemed more interesting than the amiga to me.

kremiso
Rank 9

Post#3 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:33 am

less powerful hardware than Amiga so easier to emulate

almost all the set should work, just a bunch have some bugs, and others you need to use the correct TOS to make then run (like the Kickstart on Amiga)

imo DCastaway was already good yet from the first releases, the later ones added some different disks recognition and minor things

also usual Chui emulators behaviour, each release can make work some games that instead dont in another

Ian made some dedicated releases for some games, there is also a great SwitchBlade CD audio release wondering around :)

i like to use his Tangram autoboot build to test other single games too

i think i still have an old 'starting set' made back in the day, if you are interested
not many games into, but tested on hardware eons ago

when the emulator had a bit of speech into lol

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:42 am

SMiTH wrote:I always wanted an atari st computer.
something about the style of the st seemed more interesting than the amiga to me.

It's not.. if you like jerky scrolling like the msx and every game worst then amiga it's interesting lmao and much worst sound.
I owned both at the time pretty much the st is good as midi controller for making music but for gaming if you had an
amiga pretty much redundant..

DreamCasting
dark night

Post#5 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:47 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
SMiTH wrote:I always wanted an atari st computer.

It's not.. if you like jerky scrolling like the msx and every game worst then amiga it's interesting lmao and much worst sound.
I owned both at the time pretty much the st is good as midi controller for making music but for gaming if you had an
amiga pretty much redundant..

In a way, I also wanted one.
Me and my older brother, we had a Spectrum 48k+ for many years and one day he decided it was time to move on to another machine. ST or Amiga? We settled with the latter. I don't regret it, quite on the opposite, I think we were very, very lucky.
I understand what Ian says, once we got into it I was blown away by the games. :shock:
It's just that when I looked at the ST it seemed like a "super" spectrum to me: the same tiny sprites but solid and with color. And I loved the spectrum.. :roll:
Last edited by DreamCasting on Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DreamCasting
dark night

Post#6 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:11 pm

kremiso wrote:less powerful hardware than Amiga so easier to emulate

almost all the set should work, just a bunch have some bugs, and others you need to use the correct TOS to make then run (like the Kickstart on Amiga)

imo DCastaway was already good yet from the first releases, the later ones added some different disks recognition and minor things

also usual Chui emulators behaviour, each release can make work some games that instead dont in another

Ian made some dedicated releases for some games, there is also a great SwitchBlade CD audio release wondering around :)

i think i still have an old 'starting set' made back in the day, if you are interested

Ah yes, I was surprised when I heard it first time! :o

"main menu"

"please WAit!" :lol:

I have been doing some reading and searching on older magazines and I have become interested in some games that either didn't exist on the Amiga or had some differences, for instance:

- Black Lamp
- Gauntlet
- Enduro Racer
- Where time stood still
- Xenon
- Pacmania
- Space Harrier (smaller screen but frantic?)
- Pit Fighter
- Commando
- Robocop II
- Shinobi
- Super Monaco GP (more forgiving steering?)

I have not been able to try them yet, anyone knows how they perform on the emulator?

@Kremiso: yes please, it could be helpful.

@Ian Micheal: Ian, what are the dedicated releases you made? I have to try your tangram edition and see if I can make heads and tails of it.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#7 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:22 pm

Obviously the amiga is better.
I was just saying that I liked the style and look of the ST.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#8 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:53 pm

DreamCasting wrote:
kremiso wrote:less powerful hardware than Amiga so easier to emulate

Ah yes, I was surprised when I heard it first time! :o

"main menu"

"please WAit!" :lol:

I have been doing some reading and searching on older magazines and I have become interested in some games that either didn't exist on the Amiga or had some differences, for instance:

- Black Lamp
- Gauntlet
- Enduro Racer
- Where time stood still
- Xenon
- Pacmania
- Space Harrier (smaller screen but frantic?)
- Pit Fighter
- Commando
- Robocop II
- Shinobi
- Super Monaco GP (more forgiving steering?)

I have not been able to try them yet, anyone knows how they perform on the emulator?

@Kremiso: yes please, it could be helpful.

@Ian Micheal: Ian, what are the dedicated releases you made? I have to try your tangram edition and see if I can make heads and tails of it.

We in progress making proper amiga release any thing old will pale Atari st emulator just some wave files like to buttons .. Game listed on the atari st are not the best versions of the games.. ONly time st is better is if it was 3d and needed more clock speed.. anything else is downgrade.

Far as thinking worked 3 months optimize rewrite the whole rendering and cpu timing for the old chui thing and it's far in advance of it not ready for the public .. Collection and testing has been going on 3 months now ..

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#9 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:43 am

Ian Micheal wrote:if you like jerky scrolling like the msx.

Well I understand why you don't like msx 1, there is also one color per sprite. I grown up with an msx so I love it and there is already an emulator even if it's not compatible with vga, and most of msx1 games are converted for sega master system.

But the msx2 is a huge evolution of msx1, One day if I have a msx2 emulator, I'll be happy :)

Anyway the amiga releases are fantastic thank you :D

DreamCasting
dark night

Post#10 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:37 am

Found this while reading back issues of RetroGamer:

Amiga Beaters.JPG

It seems outrun ST runs a bit faster.. :mrgreen:
Hmm, DOTC and Falcon are the ones giving me itches... :roll:

Edit: and also this one:

Publishers that pushed ST.JPG