Trying to creat self-booting CDi's from GDi's

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Trying to creat self-booting CDi's from GDi's

Post#11 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:48 am

Doctor Butler wrote:
megavolt85 wrote: Why did you get the idea that downsample on pirate disks is associated with the size of the disk?.

My understanding is that people downsample assets to fit a GigaDisc game within the 700MB limit of a CD-r, usually removing the dummy data, or in some cases, remastering assets at a lower quality to save space.

megavolt85 wrote:On OG Xbox there is RAM MOD, those who soldered 128 MB of RAM can run games from Sega Chihiro, the rest are not, I hope you understand why I told you this.

You're suggesting that Kenju's RAM footprint is too big for Dreamcast, which I'm not sure is the case, I could have sworn I saw people on YouTube playing it on real hardware, but using DreamShell or GDEmu (ew) to boot the GDI

Am I mistaken?

CDR or milcd is not real hardware it was never made to read games like this in the first place.. lol Nothing changed from using serial port then running on hacked exploit on cdr which is not how the drive was made to run games..

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#12 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:46 am

In this thread:
Show me you don't understand the difference between emulation of a disc drive and emulation of a whole console without actually telling me you don't understand.

Optical drive emulators (aka ODEs), such as GDEMU, USBGDROM, and MODE, serve to emulate the actual GD-ROM drive. A GD-ROM is nothing but a storage medium, and a GD-ROM drive is nothing but a mechanism for seeking and retrieving data stored on said GD-ROM.

The serial SD card reader (i.e., DreamShell) is a bit different, where it's another avenue to launch software. Code execution like this is also seen in other consoles, like the PS2 via USB, or the PC Engine via its expansion port.

But do you know what else is another avenue to launch software? Wait for it... burned discs taking advantage of the MIL-CD exploit! There's just as much "original hardware" involved in burning a self-booting disc image to CD-R as there is in launching that disc image via DreamShell (or ODE).

Wanting an "authentic experience" with a disc is one thing, but you're completely off the mark if you think it's "just like software emulation on your PC" if you launch software on a game console via a storage medium other than the original retail format (e.g., GD-ROM, CD-ROM, etc). Once the game binary has been launched from ANY storage medium, and its assets accessible from the same storage medium (textures, sounds, etc), you are playing on original hardware.

Consider this... you go to play a PC game, which originally released on floppy disk. The year is 2023. What if you decided to virtually mount a floppy disk image so that you could still access the files and thus play the game? Or, what if you decided to use a physical FDD emulator, like the GoTek, where the dump of the original floppy disk is stored on a USB drive? Are you not still playing on original hardware (i.e., a PC)? The answer is "yes".

Or, what if a PC game originally came on CD-ROM, so you decide to rip it to an ISO that you can virtually mount it and play whenever you'd like without needing a disc drive? Still original hardware? Answer, again, is "yes".

What about consoles that let you install a game to internal hard drive?

I could go on and on...

I mean this in the nicest way possible, but if you want to enjoy all that the Dreamcast has to offer these days, being married to the idea that you must experience software via optical disc is going to leave you shorthanded. I too once shared this sentiment, but eventually explored my options and have never looked back.

All of that being said, you're still 100% entitled to your opinion (obviously), but your comments (like "what's the point?") display a clear lack of understanding about how these devices, and game hardware in general, function.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

Doctor Butler
rebel

Post#13 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:24 pm

No, I totally understand how this stuff works - there's a world of difference between software interfacing directly with real hardware and PC emulation - I get that.

, I'm just saying, to me, and my collector's sensibilities, if I can't have a tangible, complete looking disc (I make labels and art for my homebrew cd-r games) - if it lacks that physicality, then I might as well just emulate it and enjoy HD and netplay.

To me, I either want the full authentic tactile experience, or I want the perks offered by FightCade and NullDCBear - GDEmu lacks either, and feels like this weird medium, worst of both worlds, for me.

Sorry if I was coming of as contentious - I spent an hour looking for answers, and was met with the same unhelpful "fuck that thing you want, this other thing is better" response time and time again. Frustrating shit, lol

I appreciate the technical breakdown above - the optical drive can't stream the game quickly enough for Kenju's needs - got it

megavolt85
Developer

Post#14 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:23 pm

Doctor Butler wrote:, I'm just saying, to me, and my collector's sensibilities, if I can't have a tangible, complete looking disc (I make labels and art for my homebrew cd-r games) - if it lacks that physicality, then I might as well just emulate it and enjoy HD and netplay.

why try to burn something that has never been released on this medium, if you are a collector, then buy an AtomisWave cartridge.
What is the point of collecting a reproduction, its collection value is zero.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#15 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:55 pm

Doctor Butler wrote:I'm just saying, to me, and my collector's sensibilities, if I can't have a tangible, complete looking disc (I make labels and art for my homebrew cd-r games) - if it lacks that physicality, then I might as well just emulate it and enjoy HD and netplay.

To me, I either want the full authentic tactile experience, or I want the perks offered by FightCade and NullDCBear - GDEmu lacks either, and feels like this weird medium, worst of both worlds, for me.

Fair enough. I don't personally relate, but that doesn't matter. If you want the tactile experience, go for it. If you don't have it and would rather emulate, then that's also your prerogative. Based on previous messages, it seemed you were conflating things like ODEs or serial SD card readers with PC emulation, hence part of my response above.

Doctor Butler wrote:Sorry if I was coming of as contentious

All good. I also apologize if I was too harsh. I just wanted to help bring clarity here.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#16 » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:07 pm

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Doctor Butler
rebel

Post#17 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:49 am

ateam wrote: Fair enough. I don't personally relate, but that doesn't matter. If you want the tactile experience, go for it. If you don't have it and would rather emulate, then that's also your prerogative. Based on previous messages, it seemed you were conflating things like ODEs or serial SD card readers with PC emulation, hence part of my response above.

I gotcha. I meant SD Readers and DreamShell are like Emulation, more in *spirit* (no disc, no case) I understand that's completely different.
Thank you for trying to inform me anyway, it's still appreciated.

MoeFoh wrote:@pitito released a burnable cdi version of kenju in spanish. :shock:
https://mega.nz/file/KyJjlYhY#kK24c1jd9 ... LS8cBNHet4

video:
viewtopic.php?t=13982&start=90#p157025

official youtube post:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0JvsPa1ZHFQ

pitito's paypal:
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/DCPITITO

You are a king, thank you