Daedalus N64 Loc and Quality?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ScDream
dark night

Daedalus N64 Loc and Quality?

Post#1 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:17 am

Hey all. I discovered the existence of the Daedalus N64 emulator. The archive I found had a couple of .elf images and stuff.

Was a more mature version ever released with ROMS on the disc and selfboot?

Thanks for helping to keep a DC newbie schooled.

Favrenation
Outrun

Re: Daedalus N64 Loc and Quality?

Post#2 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:19 pm

Here is a video of it:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eEUmZtRFME[/youtube] One of the comments says how the PSP is .8 the power of the dreamcast and the PSP has a fully functioning emulator on it so it might seem possible for it to work but it would take a lot of time to make it work.
PS2 Online Gaming

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Also, this emulator is hella olfd, and I have no idea why the guy that ported it didn't use PJ64. That is the best optomized emulator out there on PC, and I have faith that with proper DC specific optomizations, an emulator at least 30% speed could be possible. That would still be much faster than this slide show we see with Daedalus.

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#4 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:29 am

Hm, from what I heard, a fully working N64 emulator is simply not possible due to the DC's lack of RAM, where the ROMS have to be loaded to. Most of the N64 Roms are bigger than the DC's 16MB of main RAM. :?
I guess the only possibility would be to compress the ROMs first, load them into RAM and then decompress them. Sure, it would probably make the emulator slow as hell, but at least it would work.

Well, it's all here:http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6631

Maybe with the new SD adapter, someone can... Nah, the transfer rate isn't fast enough either. :(
For Great Justice!

Duessi
rebel

Post#5 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:39 am

I think with the SD Card Adapter it should work because some DC games work great with the Adapter so it must be possible to play N64 games with it not all but maybe a few.
And if somebody ported the PJ64 to the Dreamcast why it should not work.

Captain Dreamcast
Developer

Post#6 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:58 am

Duessi wrote:And if somebody ported the PJ64 to the Dreamcast why it should not work.

Okay, let's discuss it in more detail:

First, a quote from DCEmulation, which pretty much sums up everything I said above.
DCEmulation wrote:Q16 Can the Nintendo 64 be emulated (on the DC?)
Short answer, no. Long answer, with special addon hardware and a lot of time/skill/luck, perhaps. The biggest issue is most of the roms are too large to fit in the Dreamcast's memory. There's also only a 2-1 ratio of the DC-N64 processor speed. This makes emulation pretty difficult.

Q17 But what if you "stream" the ROMs off CD?
Nice idea, but it's been thought of before. The problem with it is the massive difference in speed between CD-ROM and Cartridge systems. N64 cartridges have an access time of about 500ns (500 x 10^-9 seconds). CD-ROM systems are around 100-200ms (100 x 10^-3 seconds.) Cartridges are 1,000,000 times faster! The problem with streaming the ROM is it would be insanely difficult to figure out exactly what code/data piece would be needed next, and get it into RAM when the game wanted it. It's a nice idea, but unless you come up with code that verifies it, it's a pretty much dead end.

Q18 Ok, what about breaking the ROMs into chunks that fit in the RAM?
Again, been there... People typically come up with this idea when they see the sizes of the N64 ROM files. The files are broken up to allow quicker/more efficient downloads. Note, they must be put back together before the ROM is run! Again, if you make this work, terrific! If not, don't tell everyone this is the solution and wonder why the world is not beating a path to your door?

Q19 How about a cartridge adapter?
This looks to be the most likely way. The guys at Bleem! have mentioned this as a possible option.

Taken from here: http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=6631

As for the SD adapter, Q17 applies here, the SD adapter is slower than the DC's reader, so it's even more unlikely, unless I'm missing something. :?

The most probable option is breaking the ROM apart into multiple chunks, but even then... it would probably be sloooooooooooooooooooow.
For Great Justice!

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#7 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:02 am

Game player S showed us some links of an IDE adapter of rates of about 480mbps transfer rates. I think that would be fast enough.
PS2 Online Gaming

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:26 pm

If the adapter was widely available then it would be a great option, but it don't look to be happening anytime soon.

Our best bet for a new 3D Gaming system emulator would be the Panasonic 3DO emulator Freedo that just went open source. If that could work full speed, then we could have some awesome EA games like Road Rash and Need for Speed, not to mention other publishers games.

Pac-Man
lithium

Post#9 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:08 pm

Probably being dumb (i have no knowledge at all in the subject), and asking some probably dumb questions:

1 - Is not possible to emulate small Roms that actually fit in DC's RAM, like Automobili lamborghini (4Mbs)?

2- Is it possible to change some piece of hardware, upgrading, for example, the RAM, as we do with PCs?

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#10 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:43 pm

well you can try the small RAM games.
PS2 Online Gaming