Gold Lion

Re: Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast Modding

Post#41 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:09 pm

@espirral, it will be awesome :-)

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#42 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:25 pm

Esppiral wrote:Is it possible to replace the models with ones with higher poly count?

Wondering that too. If so what's the limit.

CORE316
photon blast

Post#43 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:33 am

@Green Ranger Hi Thanks for Reply.

Honestly everything lol
the videos you have posted look amazing and shows so much potential, the hardest part for me im sure maybe modelling.

But maybe start with Resident Evil 2 for now that Zombie kid mod is cool just need different sound effects I have seen running and climbing mods on Youtube that looks crazy it would be cool to implement those into some sections in game.

As somebody mentioned a Resident Evil Port into the Resident Evil 2 Mod sounds cool.
Marvins Mod and that new upcoming mod After the Storm etc.

I like the newer Texture Mod the Leon and Chief meeting and the Audio Swap Mod was awesome.

How do you add more enemies to a room? Type etc and Health Points?

I guess you have to do one room at a time for Health Points and it not a seperate universal file?

How much can you add before things start getting laggy, does the game have access to that extra RAM the Dreamcast has compared to PS1 I mean surely it does since it based on PC Port?

For me personally the Dreamcast is the definitive way to play Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code Veronica / X
and Dino Crisis would be awesome if Dino Crisis 2 could be somehow modded into Dino Crisis.

Green Ranger
killer

Post#44 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:05 am

Esppiral wrote:Is it possible to replace the models with ones with higher poly count?

Yes it's possible. For example, HD Leon has a higher poly count than Leon's default model.

CORE316 wrote:How do you add more enemies to a room? Type etc and Health Points?

I guess you have to do one room at a time for Health Points and it not a seperate universal file?

That is correct, each room has a separate file so each room must be done individually. To add enemies to a room, locate the room's RDT file which is found in the PL0 (Leon) or PL1 (Claire) folders of the game. A room's RDT file is actually an archive, and within it is a 'SCD' folder. The SCD files control the room and to make changes to them, I use hex editing. Once you open a SCD file via Hex Editor (usually Main00.SCD or Sub00.scd), this hex value is added towards the end of the file- 44 00. This tells the room a NPC/enemy is to be inserted. The '44 00' is actually the beginning of a 22 byte string, with the remaining values telling the SCD file what type of enemy to display, its position in the room, what sound effect to use, how the enemy should approach the player, etc.

CORE316 wrote:How much can you add before things start getting laggy, does the game have access to that extra RAM the Dreamcast has compared to PS1 I mean surely it does since it based on PC Port?

I'm actually not sure what the limit is yet. I've just been adding a few additional enemies to desired rooms, and they've loaded just fine without issues (so far). Something to take note of however is the importance of testing whatever mods are done on both emulators AND an actual Dreamcast. Emulators tend to overlook whatever errors the Hex values have and will still run the game- whereas those same errors will crash the game on actual hardware until you figure out what's wrong.

CORE316 wrote:For me personally the Dreamcast is the definitive way to play Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code Veronica / X
and Dino Crisis would be awesome if Dino Crisis 2 could be somehow modded into Dino Crisis.

I love that the developers used the VMU to show health and ammo count for the RE games, it's such a useful tool. Dino Crisis is a title I've been interested in but have yet to play. :)

To extract files from and to make changes to a RDT file, I suggest using BIOFAT version 06.23.2011 and BIOFAT 0.0.0.9. Depending on your operating system the programs may not run for you, so download them first (or try other later versions) and let me know if you can get them to open. If you do, I can elaborate further on how to use them.

You can get BIOFAT 0.0.0.9 here- https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1019/

BIOFAT version 06.23.2011 can be found here- this page provides a wealth of resources for modding (primarily) the PC Resident Evil games. This page also has modding tutorials for the PC titles and while content from these tutorials can be applied to the Dreamcast, because of some file format differences there are extra steps (especially for RE2) that need to be taken to get mods working for the DC.
http://remer.bplaced.com/remer_files/res_index.php
Last edited by Green Ranger on Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind

Post#45 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:32 am

If .PLD is a thing for the Dreamcast costumes flies I hope we can include some off the best modded outfits out there.

The files are available in the description. I like to see any unused material enabled.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#46 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:21 am

Thanks a lot.
Hope the best models and textures as possible will be add.

CORE316
photon blast

Post#47 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:31 am

Thanks @Green Ranger

I will be looking into modding now :D Exactly what I was looking for, Trying to find info now seems a bit hard because everything Resident Evil Modding related brings up the Reimagined and Remakes.

I will post anything I come up with.

brunovieira90
minority

Post#48 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:15 am

Hey guys.
I have a question, which is not well related to resident evil 2 mods for the dreamcast, but maybe you who know and tried this game more can help me.

Every time I use the rumble pack accessory to play resident evil 2, the game crashes on the sega + win ce logo screen. But if I start the game without the rumble pack, it works normally. I currently use a gdemu clone, with a gdi tosec from this game, but this same problem could be observed using a cd-recorded cdr when I was using the original dreamcast player. On the rumble pack housing it says that it is a hkt-8600, but I cannot confirm that it is actually this, as the accessory's internal board has no reference, and as I bought it second-hand, I have no guarantees that it was not opened, and its board replaced by a board of another parallel model (I believe the original sega, have some model and sega information on the internal board). Has this ever happened to any of you?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#49 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:53 am

brunovieira90 wrote:Has this ever happened to any of you?

yes this is a known issue

brunovieira90
minority

Post#50 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:25 am

megavolt85 wrote:
brunovieira90 wrote:Has this ever happened to any of you?

yes this is a known issue

but is this directly linked to the rumble pack (maybe another rumble pack, which is sure to be original, not a third-party version) works correctly? Will no rumble really work?
Or maybe it's something crazy with my control port?
This rumble pack issue left me intrigued because the function is present in the game so theoretically it works somehow Unfortunately I also had problems with this rumble in street fighter alpha 3 my rumble doesn't work, and also in starlancer the game too crashes when starting with rumble, which made me think that the problem is my accessory itself, which must have been swapped out and just packed in an original casing, when in fact it isn't.

Sorry for mixing things up in this thread, but it really made me intrigued in this game, and I saw an opportunity to answer this question with people who know well about dreamcast.