HALF LIFE - RESIDENT EVIL MOD ?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

HALF LIFE - RESIDENT EVIL MOD ?

Post#1 » Wed May 09, 2018 11:03 am

HI I Seen how someone took DOOM and made it basically resident evil survivor ,

possible to do this with half life ? i got the SURVIVOR PS1 DISC IMAGE ROM.

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Re: HALF LIFE - RESIDENT EVIL MOD ?

Post#2 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:24 pm

Basically yes, but not for Dreamcast, afaik. HL DC is not very modding friendly. Replace models, textures, maps, sound effects, soundtrack... is possible. Things like add a new gamemode or a complete new selection of weapons incl. the feeling/balancing is nearly impossable without changing the dlls etc.

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#3 » Wed May 09, 2018 1:43 pm

then where did all these's different half life 's come from them ?

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#4 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:00 pm

I don't think this site is really the best place for all of these Resident Evil requests. Most users here are just game players, not modders. My advice would be to study up on game modding and get in some of those forums to get a better idea of what is and isn't possible. There are a lot of variables to consider beyond just having an RE disc image on hand.

Also, Jenkins seems to have answered the original question pretty well. I'm not trying to say "scram get out of here" just pointing out one of the reasons you're not getting a lot of response.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:14 pm

Where did all them HL1s come from? They're crafted for PC n then they were ported over

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#6 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:07 pm

You could always do a Resident Evil Half Life mod on the PC and then try to port it to the Dreamcast. We know the Dreamcast could just about handle Half Life as the unreleased official port was discovered (and widely advertised). However it does suffer from insane load times and uses up an entire VMU the further you get into the game.

You'd have to overcome those obstacles - and that's after you've made a successful PC mod.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Once upon a time there was a Russian Dreamcast site myself, Override and Dreammatrix, AKA R4mb0 would frequent. Those guys were pumping out about a dozen mods or so there. I in turn would upload them to Theisozone when I used to be one of the head moderators over there. They had modded the game as far as it could realistically be modded. Like said before, you can't do deep modding without having a .dll loader, and the Dreamcast version would have to have that done to go further than porting the most early mods for HL from the early days. One exception was Paranoia, which came out around 2008, and was ported to DC around 2010 or so, but had to be seriously optimized for DC.

Complex mods just aren't possible in the DC version. We are lucky it is modable at all as much as it is, and that we are able to play so many on the DC.

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#8 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:46 am

Roareye wrote:You could always do a Resident Evil Half Life mod on the PC and then try to port it to the Dreamcast. We know the Dreamcast could just about handle Half Life as the unreleased official port was discovered (and widely advertised). However it does suffer from insane load times and uses up an entire VMU the further you get into the game.

You'd have to overcome those obstacles - and that's after you've made a successful PC mod.

sounds like something i would like to try doing then ,

What tools would I need ?

AgentMomo
Prince of Persia

Post#9 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:50 am

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#10 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:44 am

That's a cool video, but it's running on the Half Life 2 engine, which I doubt the Dreamcast could run. Be interesting to see someone try though.

As for how and what tools, I have no idea. I know nothing about game development or programming. There'll likely be resources online that can help, but I think it's going to be a case of learning some coding such as C++