Help us brainstorm ideas for Half-Life DC mods

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Re: Help us brainstorm ideas for Half-Life DC mods

Post#21 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:18 pm

Dreamcast lack of a good 2nd World War game ( we have only medium quality Japanese games)
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#22 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:59 pm

We also have Hidden & Dangerous!

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#23 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:16 pm

Yes a WW2 mod was one of the things I eventually plan to make for this. The assets to make one already exist from Day of Defeat and there will be plenty of cool scenarios we can do.

Another mod I thought to make was a Halo themed one, since the assets were ported to one HL multiplayer mod. But I got too much on my plate right now to work on them since I am working on a Battlefield 2 total conversion modification for PC right now called Battlefield 1944.

Link for people who care.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-1944

ShadowGeist
undertow

Post#24 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:31 pm

Revan96 wrote:Dunno if this is the thread for this but is there a reason everytime I get to the sniper section in Half Life Paranoia that the game gives me a bunch of weird errors and essentially crashes?

I can remember Half-Life DC displaying onscreen errors and crashing if the VMU didn't contain extra free memory blocks.

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#25 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:36 am

Anthony817 wrote:Yes a WW2 mod was one of the things I eventually plan to make for this. The assets to make one already exist from Day of Defeat and there will be plenty of cool scenarios we can do.

Another mod I thought to make was a Halo themed one, since the assets were ported to one HL multiplayer mod. But I got too much on my plate right now to work on them since I am working on a Battlefield 2 total conversion modification for PC right now called Battlefield 1944.

Link for people who care.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/battlefield-1944

This might sound weird but if there any off the wall crazy mods? Something colorful or anime based , maybe something funny. Maybe an offbeat mod for an offbeat console lol.

One last question, is there anyway to enable third person mode like on PC? I remember someone said yes but no one really elaborates.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#26 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:45 pm

Actually there is a DBZ mod for HL that I always thought would be kick ass to have on the console. I think an actual fighting game made in the engine.

From what I remember you can do all this stuff on the DC version, make 3rd person, static cameras like Resident Evil games, have side scrolling cameras ect. Model, sound and map swaps are also what is possible and how we were able to get all those mods done for the game in the past. I have never cracked a peak under the hood of the game but I distinctly remember in the heyday of HLDC modding people discussing all kinds of cool things possible with it.

Really though, the only thing holding us back form porting full on PC mods with custom code was the problem of compiling .dll's with the HLSDK for Dreamcast. Moi a veteran member in the community had once attempted to do this, but always had issues. If we could make some kind of breakthrough, a whole lot more complex mods for HLDC could be made possible so long as they work within the constraints of the system memory.

Look what all types of games we could have on the system all with retail quality if we got the .dll's to compile!

You can see more about the attempts to compile HL SDK for DC in this old thread here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110914063 ... vkit-3567/

Also, if you would like to check out some of the other threads there which details a lot of discoveries check more threads here. Not all have been archived but you might be able to paste a link to a thread in wayback machine and be able to see what all they have captured for a specific thread.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101126223 ... forum/f83/

@Moi if you are reading this please chime in. You lurk all too often buddy

moi
blackout!

Post#27 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:28 pm

Anthony817 wrote:
@Moi if you are reading this please chime in. You lurk all too often buddy

Thanks for reminding me of of the good old times, Anthony!

But HLDC Beta pales in comparison to multiplayer-ready Q3, 4x4Evo and the homebrew QW port when it comes to mods.
So I'd rather put my time into one of those.
HLDC might be an interesting challenge for hackers, but IMHO it'll never be able to compete with q3, qw nor 4x4 especially as an engine for content creators when it comes to multiplayer content.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#28 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:25 pm

Hey man nice to see you saw the post hehe.

Oh for sure those games have great potential for multiplayer mods, but being able to create nice singleplayer story mods is a great asset for the community you can't deny that. It is a rare thing to have a good base to make retail game quality singleplayer mods which Quake 3 Arena can't really do unfortunately.

I do remember Chui and some other guys were trying to get a port of Return to Castle Wolfenstein made for the DC at one point in the past. Not sure been a while since I read the thread. Would be great if that would have come to fruition.

Ok seems it was using Dreamplaces a Darkplaces fork.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/rtcwdreamcast/files/

Seems some discussions about it were done here.

https://sourceforge.net/p/rtcwdreamcast ... /c94315b5/

Anybody know if anything can be done with this?
Last edited by Anthony817 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DARKHALO2K
dark night

Post#29 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:49 am

I've tested DreamPlaces with Quake content, and it was essentially unplayable. There was no sound, numerous visual issues, and little memory left for game data.

It was a very exciting development at the time but now we have nuQuake, which is much more advanced and usable.

However, Return To Castle Wolfenstein was developed with the Quake 3 Arena engine, meaning it's simply incompatible.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#30 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 am

DARKHALO2K wrote:I've tested DreamPlaces with Quake content, and it was essentially unplayable. There was no sound, numerous visual issues, and little memory left for game data.

It was a very exciting development at the time but now we have nuQuake, which is much more advanced and usable.

However, Return To Castle Wolfenstein was developed with the Quake 3 Arena engine, meaning it's simply incompatible.

Yes i tested it as well found all the same problems just to get anything to run i had to hack pvr.buffers.c