Need help editing the test drive le mans game

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Forn
noob

Need help editing the test drive le mans game

Post#1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:35 pm

So this game has been one of my all time favorites. This is where my love for racing started and I am still playing it now and then. Used to be on my dreamcast, but switched to an emulator these days because of the features they offer.
However, I would love to edit the ROM in order to make some modifications as there are some limitations that bother me a bit. I guess they put them in to not stress the console too much, but I want to see how much I can get out of it.

What I am trying to do is editing text files in one of the three BIN files. I've managed to extract them, and editing them is extremly easy. The coding they did was pretty straight forward. Now I need to put them back in, and I have no idea how to do that because I can't find anything on that matter, and will it work if I just put them back in if there is a way? I only changed some of the values inside of the files. Does that require more work? There are several tutorials here on the forum, but I do not really know what is fitting because I have never done anything like this before. Any help would be highly appreciated!

edit: Instead of editing a GDI, I tried it with a CDI with the help of this Tutorial and everything worked until the last step. Bin2boot.exe does not work on my Win 10 PC. Is there an alternative?

edit2: I figured it might be important to say what exactly I want to edit too. I want to edit TEAMS.TXT, LEMANS.INI, CHAMPIONSHIPS.TXT and TRACKS.TXT to achieve the following:
-Have more Ai driven cars in Le Mans and in the Championships (I wonder if that is possible or if there are simply not enough pitstops and starting positions then. I would wonder what the game would do.)
-Change some values of the car to make them more realistic to their real counterparts. Like speed for example.
-Make harder, bigger and more interesting championships that use more tracks and more AI cars.

ShindouGo
Power Stone

Re: Need help editing the test drive le mans game

Post#2 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:59 am

to make a selfboot game, I can recommend the excellent Bootmake utility offered by Sizious.

https://sizious.com/download/dreamcast/#bootmake

Do not hesitate to offer us the final result ;)

Forn
noob

Post#3 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:26 pm

ShindouGo wrote:to make a selfboot game, I can recommend the excellent Bootmake utility offered by Sizious.

https://sizious.com/download/dreamcast/#bootmake

Do not hesitate to offer us the final result ;)

Thanks so much. It worked without any problems and was kind of easy with that tool!

I edited some of the basic things and unfortunately there seem to be some engine limits that I cannot bypass and are probably locked in a for me corrupted archive file. Not more than 24 cars on one track for example. So I do not really know if I can provide anything of worth for this community sadly as I can not get deeper into the code of this game.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#4 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:10 am

We greatly appreciate your efforts.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs