Dreamcast Media Center 352x240 Movie Trailer showcase[60FPS][With plainfiles demo video Youtube

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

Dreamcast Media Center 352x240 Movie Trailer showcase[60FPS][With plainfiles demo video Youtube

Post#1 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:39 am

Set youtube to 60fps 720p
My capture messed up in a few places it's a new cheap one sorry for that
I have been working on this product for about 6 months now..
code created by Josh PH3NOM Pearson Now with 352x240 playback and video sync for Gdemu Up to 2gb of movies on the one cdi image.. box art movie soundtrack theme-able Flac mp3 ac3 adx sfd mpeg2 mpeg1 Dvix4 Dvix5 Xvid

Movies For Xvid for the first time can be 352x240 600 bit rate 64k stereo 44khz sound this keeps every thing in sync

Up to 60fps
Video can be very highbitrate but not sound the ACIA chip in the dreamcast is up to 4x slower then the pvr video chip this is hardware rendering is not software so framesize res size is limited by vram not system ram..

Opengl pvr storeques optimized
Circular buffer
Hardware pvr gui not software

Videos now have no playtime length

Must use Xilsoft Encoder
Xvid 352x240
Ac3 audio 64kb stereo 44khz

Now with Trans fonts no black bars around the text any more like the original release

Now with menu music a first for this center
In the folder called music the file theme.ogg you would change this for your own menu back ground music it stops and starts and loops
when you play a movie it clears shuts down and when you stop a movie it starts up with out problem this was more work then
i wanted to be..
It works and is one of the only theme-able movie music photo viewer launches with background menu music on dreamcast..
If not the only one..
MMU pointer cache for safe-ness no more crashing playing movies
Clears cache after each movie

Many months work optimizing now using sh4dct asm for Xvid play-back and sh4 math DreamHAL moop

Beta 3.5 internal so many problems still might be around

Music playback is the best on dreamcast soundwize clear no static skipping HQ HIGH BITRATE
Flac
acc
mp3
mp4a
mp2

Homebrew launcher any unscambled bin
Will load wince games as well

Src release and github update will follow soon it's at a point were it's a major step forward from the orginal src

Download of plain files with movie trailers
https://mega.nz/file/nZhwhJhD#fuwgCd31e ... caoulp99RA
Dreamshell SD card version will follow

I have optimized many emulators and homebrew that use this as a base and can launch from and return with no reboot..

Lots of new features will be added this year ...

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Re: Dreamcast Media Center 352x240 Movie Trailer showcase[60FPS][With plainfiles demo video Youtube

Post#2 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:42 am

This is awesome ❤️

Thanks for all the hard work Ian, I will start (actually already did) celebrating this with making the first SB DCMC Movie image. Alien, obviously 8-)

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Dreamcast Media Center 352x240 Movie Trailer showcase[60FPS][With plainfiles demo video Youtube

Post#3 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:27 am

This for gdemu at this point cdr is to slow to keep up.. This still very dev beta but at an ok stage it does somethings very well not all
enocding videos is hard only one program works.. XILISOFT VIDEO CONVERTER ULTIMATE It allows to use ac3 with Xvid Not mp3 or mp2 or pcm

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:07 am

Hmmm. My Vegas editing software allows rendering with ac3 audio. I've used it sometimes to add in passive 5.1 surround sound tracks to Blu-Rays.

On that note, I may be able to offer some insight into the video disc process. Often you don't add a video with audio to a disc. The video is one file, with the audio handled as a separate file. So for example a blu-ray will have MXF, MP4, MOV or AVC encoded files for the video. You then add an AC3, MP3, WAV or DTS file as the audio. In general this splits the task of video playback between the hardware chips better.

With the DC being limited on internal power (compared to blu-ray, unsurprisingly), might it be better to split the task the same way? The video can then be taken on directly by the video components, and the audio is played back like a native CDDA file by the disc drive and the audio chipsets. I could be talking out of my backside as I don't know how the internals of the DC operate, but I figure there's a good reason blu-rays split the task of audio and video playback into separate tasks.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:11 am

Yes a lot of software says it do that but they dont work with the encoders lot of testers have tried lots of converters this very strict to the formats the encoders are not updated there from 2010 or below lot of new encoders dont follow exact specs because most of the encoders and players now have room ether way.. Example almost all free tools dont work with this at all and crash the movies it makes from them..

Encoders decoders for this are set in stone.. Xilsoft does not use lame mp3 codec for example which is utter crap for dreamcast you need blade or xling or the mp3 will not work one example..

You cant have 2 streaming formats on the one disk laser can only be in one place at time .. we dont have dual core cpu ether Remember i tried this fmv mpeg 2 and cdda works on nulldc not on hardware

Ac3 is opensrc no longer supported in ffmpeg it's liba52 which is no longer supported only one i have found that allows Xvid with ac3 is Xilsoft converter If you have a look most converters allow pcm,mp2,mp3 not ac3 with Xvid

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#6 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:18 am

Fair enough. I'm just throwing in the little info I have, but it's not surprising that you guys may have tried similar methods prior to get to where you are.

Just checked my Vegas software and while it can render ac3 audio, it doesn't do Xvid file types :(

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:25 am

Roareye wrote:Fair enough. I'm just throwing in the little info I have, but it's not surprising that you guys may have tried similar methods prior to get to where you are.

Just checked my Vegas software and while it can render ac3 audio, it doesn't do Xvid file types :(

Yeah around 2010 all the encoders dropped this feature of Encoding Xvid with ac3..

Ac3 is about the fastest audio we can have on dreamcast less cpu time to render with video compared to say mp2 mp3 which take 20% of the sh4 cpu

Ac3 takes about 5% less then playing a wav file pretty much just is not cpu time wasting like the others

Example OGG takes up to 20% of the 200mhz all the time to decode best used like i have for menu music put it as format for dreamcast in the bin It cripples 3d and 2d using it as mixing on top of it pushing calc pretty much useless for any game about a puzzle game..

Both mp3 and ogg would drop the framerate of a game 15% stutter and cause cache stalls to the pvr chip and memory.. All audio on the dreamcast via kos is mixed on the cpu at the same time it's doing everything else

It was never made the hardware to do this only katana has a hardware stream driver that can use the dsp and channel mixer..
Xilsoft can render just about anything in any way using codecs you chose and bitrate's as well the one time were buying software is worth it for any video format it can do pretty much better..

The about it is the framerate all the options allow very custom mix to suit your hardware old and new.. Xilsoft and using it was the first time this player even show it could run A xvid with sound.. all the others dont work i spent about 2 weeks using every encoder free and otherwise none worked with sound at all with Xvid core open src 1.0001
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#8 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:33 am

Thanks for the explanation. It seems simply mad that the DC is so lacking in video playback abilities after the multiple prior attempts at video playback on the Mega CD and Sega Saturn. The Saturn even allowed for VCD playback with the MPEG card.

I've heard the DC has some VCD playback option somewhere. Though again, I'm spouting hearsay rather than anything concrete. Is VCD lower quality than the process you're using, or is the Dreamcast not able to process VCDs?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#9 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:37 am

Roareye wrote:Thanks for the explanation. It seems simply mad that the DC is so lacking in video playback abilities after the multiple prior attempts at video playback on the Mega CD and Sega Saturn. The Saturn even allowed for VCD playback with the MPEG card.

I've heard the DC has some VCD playback option somewhere. Though again, I'm spouting hearsay rather than anything concrete. Is VCD lower quality than the process you're using, or is the Dreamcast not able to process VCDs?

Sega used software softdec no hardware at all video play-back..
Also had there own format MIL-cd video

DCMC is the first proper hardware rendering video playback using the pvr video chip..

You can see why they did software based as res is limited to vram..

Dreamcast has no built in video hardware playback.. retail games all used software rendering

Vcd player on dreamcast was software rendering so much lower problem is i can have dvd qualty video but not sound players of the past would not even hit above 30fps.. Video rendering here will hit 60fps

Old player one was just a wince example they sold vcd player was just the same with a new gui.. The opensrc vcd was slow as well and software..

For example the videos in wince games most are 320x240 4x4 evo for example the videos play in this no problem as we have mpeg 1 and 2 play-back..

We have sfd playback only limited to 320x240 because of vram this using 20 virtual buffers each one takes vram with out the buffer you get stop starts when it runs out of vram this feeds it at a rate to keep going..

I'm looking to XVID because of having more then 1 movie on a disk and with GDEMU many..

This is miles of work still to go for video gameplay etc we can up the bitrate of the videos to very high..

Problem will always be sound it's up to 4x slower then video ACIA is major bottle neck

having to lower the bitrate and slow the pvr rendering so the sound can be in sync SADface :( :roll:
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#10 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:44 am

That's awesome. Sorry if I'm coming across as questioning your work, I promise you I'm not. I'm very interested in video playback on consoles and yet I'm almost lacking all knowledge, so I'm asking questions to figure stuff out as I go. I'm really looking forward to seeing this complete, as I have some ideas for using it once it's done. ^_^

Gonna download the test stuff in the first post now :)