Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast Modding

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Green Ranger
fragger

Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast Modding

Post#1 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:53 am

(UPDATE 3/17/2022): My new YouTube Channel can be found here- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEzvJ7EUnt1KcXD0n-ItpTg
If you're a subscriber to my old account, please subscribe to my new channel as new content will now be posted there.

Some years ago I did some modifications to Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast. I didn't dive extensively into it... that is, until now.

After recently finding (some of) my RE2 material on an external hard drive, I've decided to get back into this and see what more can be done with the game. While I've actually made new progress since finding the backup files, I wasn't able to retrieve some crucial work from the past which I'm now forced to recreate when the time is right.

I'll be uploading demonstration videos to YouTube to showcase some of the things that can be modded. :)

You can also take a look at these Dreamcast screenshots. Click on each to see their full size-

You can mod playable characters. Shown below
is Leon's 1.5 texture mod (by Enrico Marini)
Leon 1.5 skin - Copy.png

You can mod enemies/NPCs (textures shown in the 'After'
shot were done by Enrico Marini/Project Safehouse team)
Old Zombies & New Zombies - Copy.jpg

You can edit enemy placement- add, remove or replace them. What's
that dog doing there? Shouldn't you face him later in the game?!?
:o
Dog & Zombie - Copy.png

You can edit the game's text.
Dreamcast games on floor text - Copy.png

Bonus look at another skin mod for Leon, this time replacing
Leon's original skin with a 'HD' Leon (by Enrico Marini).

OG Leon & HD Leon - Copy.jpg

OG Leon & HD Leon (2) - Copy.jpg

Here's a link to the first demonstration video-

This 2nd demonstration shows examples of edited text
as 1.5 Leon interacts with various items in Kendo's store-

This one shows that speech audio files can be added or replaced. In the 'After' segment
of the video, Leon and Marvin exchange some different lines of dialogue with each other -

Stay tuned for future updates...
Last edited by Green Ranger on Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:55 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast Modding

Post#2 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:44 am

This is really great! I know people have been saying for the past few years that these games were modable but not a lot of people have tried really. I would hazard a guess we could upres the background images slightly more within the capabilities of the system. Perhaps using AI to upscale them and drop back down to something the DC can handle nicely in 480P.

I know something like this may not be as possible as we might like, but somebody JUST released a stand alone mod for the game on PC that allows you to play as Marvin Branagh before he died. I mean, it might be possible? Worth a look.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/resident-evil-2-marvins-mod

Seems it uses the same backgrounds and all.

Last edited by Anthony817 on Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#3 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:16 am

I dream about a pc models port to DC version.
Re2 is a wince game.

Thanks for your work.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:56 am

I dream to see deaths and not fade black ={

Green Ranger
fragger

Post#5 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:52 am

Anthony817 wrote:This is really great! I know people have been saying for the past few years that these games were modable but not a lot of people have tried really. I would hazard a guess we could upres the background images slightly more within the capabilities of the system. Perhaps using AI to upscale them and drop back down to something the DC can handle nicely in 480P.

I know something like this may not be as possible as we might like, but somebody JUST released a stand alone mod for the game on PC that allows you to play as Marvin Branagh before he died. I mean, it might be possible? Worth a look.

https://www.moddb.com/mods/resident-evil-2-marvins-mod

Seems it uses the same backgrounds and all.

I'll have to play that mod sometime! Hopefully one day we'll be able to create and play full conversion mods for the Dreamcast as well, fingers crossed.

I'm currently unaware as to how to extract the current backgrounds and replace them with higer res versions. I'll look into it further but if I can't figure it out there's thankfully other portions of the game that can be modded. :)

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#6 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:44 am

Oh great :-)
Please tell us your progress.

Green Ranger
fragger

Post#7 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:28 pm

fafadou wrote:Oh great :-)
Please tell us your progress.

Here are some of the things that can be done-

1) Playable characters can be swapped with new textures or replaced entirely with new/custom models.

2) Enemies/NPCs can be swapped with new textures or replaced entirely with new/custom models.

3) Enemy placement is customizable. You can add new enemies to rooms where there were none, add more to a room or remove them from a room, substitute an enemy type with another, etc.

4) In-game images can be edited

5) In-game text (including memos) can be edited

6) In-game partner can be added anywhere, but this is buggy - you'll encounter missing sound effects.

I've also uploaded a new video, this time showcasing textual changes throughout a location. Should be good for a laugh or two.

Enjoy everyone! :)

Last edited by Green Ranger on Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#8 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:38 pm

Improve textures of characters is a good thing to do in first for me :-)

Green Ranger
fragger

Post#9 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:33 am

First post has been updated, including new images and links to both videos. :)
Last edited by Green Ranger on Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#10 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:40 am

Fabulous :-)