Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast Modding

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Resident Evil 2 Dreamcast Modding

Post#21 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 am

So you know how to mod the .RDX files ?
I downsample and repack them for resident code veronica X translation, and I patch a little some pvr images size because in the combat mode menu the french text is bigger than japanese.

Green Ranger
fragger

Post#22 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:16 pm

fafadou wrote:So you know how to mod the .RDX files ?
I downsample and repack them for resident code veronica X translation, and I patch a little some pvr images size because in the combat mode menu the french text is bigger than japanese.

No sorry, I haven't looked into Code Veronica's game files so I'm currently unfamiliar with its .RDX file format. RE2 doesn't use it either.

A NEW VIDEO IS UP EVERYONE! ENJOY!!

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#23 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:33 am

Hey ! You didn't do any dubbing for the voices ;-)
Very nice add, many congratulations :-D

Green Ranger
fragger

Post#24 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:29 am

fafadou wrote:Hey ! You didn't do any dubbing for the voices ;-)

Lol I figure the player can use their imagination regarding how characters sound when they read the dialogue. ;)

fafadou wrote:Very nice add, many congratulations :-D

Thanks fafadou, I appreciate it! Modding RE2 can be fun... when it works the way you want it to. :lol:

Green Ranger
fragger

Post#25 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:32 pm

xaeroxcore wrote:AMAZING!!! Can´t wait to try HD Leon on RE 2...Hopefully on the real Dreamcast hardware!!

I'm happy to report that so far, the mods I'm attempting all run on real Dreamcast hardware.

fafadou wrote:I dream about a pc models port to DC version.

By PC models I assume you mean its NPCs, enemies and weapons? If so, that is a reality. Including fan-made custom ones, they can all be ported/converted for use on the Dreamcast.

Pyramid Head (2) - Copy.png

With the success of running desired mods for this title on a real console (and not just emulation), this encourages me to move forward with my idea of turning this into a full project with a future release. Should this happen, I'll continue to keep this thread updated on it. In the meantime, I'd like to know if anyone can look into something for me-

For RE2 on PC, 'ROOMCUT.BIN' is the file that houses the backgrounds. While it's easy to extract backgrounds from the PC version, the Dreamcast's equivalent file (also called 'ROOMCUT.BIN') is more difficult to crack. The DC file in this case not only houses the backgrounds, but likely the game's music. The PC game stores music in its own 'BGM' folder- a folder that's absent from the Dreamcast title. PC tools that typically work on the PC's ROOMCUT file will not work on the DC version- the headers are different and the DC file is compressed in a currently unknown format. I'm looking for a way to successfully decompress ROOMCUT on the DC as well as compress it back to its original size (or close enough so the DC can load it) once edits have been made.

While my current modding ideas do not rely on editing backgrounds, it would still be great to have full access to ROOMCUT for future projects/experimentation down the road. As for the game's music, currently songs can be swapped around but new ones can't be added until full access to their location is granted.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#26 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:46 pm

Green Ranger wrote:
fafadou wrote:I dream about a pc models port to DC version.

By PC models I assume you mean its NPCs, enemies and weapons? If so, that is a reality. Including fan-made custom ones, they can all be ported/converted for use on the Dreamcast.

And the main characters :-) but you already did it :-D

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#27 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:25 pm

I think this may be a job for megavolt85 or Japanese cake or even Ian to look into? I know Ian is mostly just into porting things not as much on reverse engineering unless it is to backport some enhancements from later stuff to earlier versions. But worth a try at least asking them what they think?

Having the ability to full change backgrounds and music will go a long way in letting people create all new games in this engine on the DC pretty much.

I am seriously hoping for a RE1 Directors Cut remake on DC using RE2 engine modded to the absolute limit. If we can change backgrounds we can get closer to achieving it.

Dakangel
letterbomb

Post#28 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:02 pm

I hope you can add this to your mod, they have download links:

Resident Evil 2 Code Veronica Claire Redfield
http://re123.bplaced.net/board/viewtopi ... =22&t=1211

Resident Evil 2 : Albert Wesker + Code Veronica Enemies + Hardcore / Randomizer [ Playstation Mod ]

Resident Evil: During the Storm

This require complete acces to the game assets.

Green Ranger
fragger

Post#29 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:16 pm

Anthony817 wrote: Having the ability to full change backgrounds and music will go a long way in letting people create all new games in this engine on the DC pretty much.

With the music at least, we can currently swap songs, turn them off and even add pre-existing songs to areas that previously had no music- so that's not bad. Custom backgrounds would definitely allow us to make new games- even those outside of the RE realm. If Japanese Cake has an account here let me know his username so I can reach out. I'll PM megavolt and see if he'd be interested in taking a look at ROOMCUT.BIN. Ian's already seen the post so he knows of my public request. :)

Dakangel wrote:I hope you can add this to your mod, they have download links:

All three videos that you linked have interesting aspects to them. My plan was to give Leon and Claire new costumes for players to roam around in, I just haven't decided what those costumes will be yet. I'm familiar with 'During The Storm'- if we ever get full access to all the game's assets, we'd have to build a team to tackle something as ambitious as that because I wouldn't dare try doing that all by myself. :lol:

Green Ranger
fragger

Post#30 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:46 am

Here's a small preview of what you'll see in the upcoming mod release. While the overall product is far from finished, this scenario will most certainly be included.

Let me know what you think. :)

Last edited by Green Ranger on Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.