Tomb Raider 4 and 5 modding on Dreamcast

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Re: Tomb Raider 4 and 5 modding on Dreamcast

Post#11 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:34 am

Battlefield WW2 on Dreamcast would be tremendous ! I offer my knowledge on WW2 data if you need for the project (years, generals, ministers, who ordered what, battles, deads, etc) I have studied for the last 5 years the mayor conflict the world has never seen before,

Good luck and go ahead with this!
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#12 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:24 pm

I think at first we could change textures and rebuild and make a better looking og version the levels on dc have the textures not built in like the pc version so levels will have that missing .. I think learning the tools editor and tools really would be the first step with modding this game. I dont see why we cant mode the textures rebuild them i tried this and works. so pretty limited at first because i dont understand how to use all the tools.. Like the other user said when the level works it has messed textures.. dc is like level.tr4 level.text pc is just leveltr4 anyways

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:12 pm

Ro Magnus Larsson wrote:Battlefield WW2 on Dreamcast would be tremendous ! I offer my knowledge on WW2 data if you need for the project (years, generals, ministers, who ordered what, battles, deads, etc) I have studied for the last 5 years the mayor conflict the world has never seen before,

What the hell man? I was not saying I was making that for Dreamcast hahaha! I was making it for the PC game Battlefield 2. I thought that was more than obvious? I only mentioned that because I was working on that mod for PC I said I have no time to devote to working on any other projects until I complete my 3 years long PC mod.

@Ian, So do you think that the Tomb Raider 1 and 2 maps should all fit within the 2.8mb level size limit since older games? I am not quite sure we can overcome that limit then with levels like we could on Half-Life where they could be split up into multiple maps if too large for the DC's ram.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#14 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:27 pm

Anthony817 wrote:
Ro Magnus Larsson wrote:Battlefield WW2 on Dreamcast would be tremendous ! I offer my knowledge on WW2 data if you need for the project (years, generals, ministers, who ordered what, battles, deads, etc) I have studied for the last 5 years the mayor conflict the world has never seen before,

What the hell man? I was not saying I was making that for Dreamcast hahaha! I was making it for the PC game Battlefield 2. I thought that was more than obvious? I only mentioned that because I was working on that mod for PC I said I have no time to devote to working on any other projects until I complete my 3 years long PC mod.

@Ian, So do you think that the Tomb Raider 1 and 2 maps should all fit within the 2.8mb level size limit since older games? I am not quite sure we can overcome that limit then with levels like we could on Half-Life where they could be split up into multiple maps if too large for the DC's ram.

I think we have to do mods and break them up like that .. This just fast skim thru of things but we should be able to make new levels from scratch for this engine it's very promising i think to make a total conversion. I see the og levels tr4 same on dc are over 4 mb so i could be wrong with the ram size limit.. it would take like you know learning the tools and making a test level see what we can do.. but for sure we dont need to mod the engine the script.dat is what holds the level names and were they are on the disk..

change is pc does not have tex files they seem to be built into the level.tr4 when we find out why and how that is i think there be no problem making proper mods..

Being wince it's easy to remake the disk to a cdi using lazy boot i have booted a modded version on hardware..

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#15 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:47 pm

Ah wow that is great! Ok so if the main game levels are over 4mb maybe some other issue is the problem? So with that program you found will that let you be able to convert PC mod textures to DC format or only open them up? So sounds like for right now the largest hurdle seems to be both the texture format, and levels size. I was reading that thread that ShadowGeist linked and for sure some interesting findings on there. I see now how garbled the textures are and they look completely fubar.

Thanks so much for digging deep into this Ian, I knew there had to be something here we could do to get all new retail game quality experiences on the system by modding this game. I just hope most of all the first 2 games total conversions can be converted. How cool would that be to have all of the first 5 games in some form on the system but with the Dreamcast's exclusive semi-dynamic shadows?
Last edited by Anthony817 on Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#16 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:53 pm

Hell yeah Battlefield on DC in the Tomb Raider engine! Sweet!

Just kidding :)

bump

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#17 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:57 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Ah wow that is great! Ok so if the main game levels are over 4mb maybe some other issue is the problem? So with that program you found will that let you be able to convert PC mod textures to DC format or only open them up? So sounds like for right now the largest hurdle seems to be both the texture format, and levels size. I was reading that thread that ShadowGeist linked and for sure some interesting findings on there. I see now hoe garbled the textures are and they look completely fubar.

Thanks so much for digging deep into this Ian, I knew there had to be something here we could do to get all new retail game quality experiences on the system by modding this game. I just hope most of all the first 2 games total conversions can be converted. How cool would that be to have all of the first 5 games in some form on the system but with the Dreamcast's exclusive semi-dynamic shadows?

It would be great Going to post needed tool links..

https://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr ... /trle.html

it seems textures on pc are tga this video shows how the editor works

ShadowGeist
undertow

Post#18 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:05 pm

Tomb Raider Data Formats (TRosettaStone) https://opentomb.github.io/TRosettaStone3/trosettastone.html

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#19 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:34 pm

funny stuff the dc port has this texture mesh in it for title.tr4
Font & sky.gif

I guess we might of known this are ps1 textures upgraded but i have found lot of them are ps1 textures
Mesh_014 (#0044).gif
Mesh_014 (#0044).gif (5.68 KiB) Viewed 4948 times

these are from dreamcast game title.tr4
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#20 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:39 pm

Hahaha! PSX button textures how funny!

So I wonder if the DC and PSX version share the same texture format? That would be interesting if true.