Trainers - Are they still a thing?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

fraggle200
chill

Trainers - Are they still a thing?

Post#1 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:04 pm

I was sifting through the Echelon set in the D/L section and I'd forgotten they done a load of trainers for games and I'm sure there were loads of others out there from other groups but I can't think where's best to find them.

It may be a product of it's time but I've not seen any for any games in GDI. Do we all think of them as some sort of odd curiosity of a time gone by or do they still have some merit?

100% save files can be had from anywhere but there's something a bit more insane about a trainer in what it can do for you in the game. There's no need for them when using RetroArch, some flashcarts on other systems or even Swiss on the GC as they have cheat functions built in but I'm not aware of it existing in GDEmu and it certainly doesn't exist in the Mode that I've got.

Just wondering what folks take on them is and do they exist for GDI's?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Trainers - Are they still a thing?

Post#2 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:34 pm

I don't think they exist for .GDI since that format only really started being used for booting backups in the past decade really. As far as popularity of trainers go, they are at least still a thing on PC games, I know for a fact OG Xbox had literally thousands. I know 360 and PS3 had some too. PS3 has something called Apollo Save Tool which now can also download a lot of custom saves and game codes from the net directly from your PS3 since it was updated a year or so back. So Trainers are still popular. But maybe people would find it easier to load gameshark codes or game saves than coding trainers for each game? I would love to see them make a return though, a lot of awesome game hacks could be made with it.

fraggle200
chill

Post#3 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 pm

I'd love to see them back again as well.

I've not got anywhere near enough knowledge to be able to pick apart the scene trainer files and translate that back to a gdi patch but it doesnt seem like it would be a huge job for someone skilled enough as the hard bit of finding what addresses do what in the code has been done.

I could be massively over simplifying it and underestimating the work required. Would def be nice to have the option of them without all the shitty bits that go along with the scene releases.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#4 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:44 pm

Trainer for consoles is a useless thing, with any change you need to collect the image on a new one
there is CodeBreaker for using cheat codes

fraggle200
chill

Post#5 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:01 pm

"collect the image on. A new one?"

Not sure i know what you mean.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#6 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:12 am

need extract all files from image and build new image with trainer

fraggle200
chill

Post#7 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:39 am

megavolt85 wrote:need extract all files from image and build new image with trainer

Ah, I get you. a lot more work than I thought there was. I can see why there hasn't been any done then.