English-translated Dream Passport browser for translators who want to use it in their games.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ateam
Heroine Console

English-translated Dream Passport browser for translators who want to use it in their games.

Post#1 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:49 am

Hi all,

As some of you know, I included a partially translated version of the Dream Passport web browser for the purpose of letting players download DLC and a fully unlocked save in my recent English translation patch for Sakura Wars: Columns 2.

Before taking the time and energy to do a minimal translation of the web browser, I searched dozens of Internet-enabled North American Dreamcast games for any that might already have an English version of Dream Passport, rather than some version of Planet Web. Obviously, I was unsuccessful in this search. However, I accidentally stumbled upon what I was looking for while playing Sonic Adventure 2 today.

That said, check it out:

So, for those of you doing translation patches where you'd like to bundle in DLC/saves, use these files from this archive to overwrite the default Japanese Dream Passport assets.

[DC] Dream Passport (English).zip
https://drive.google.com/u/0/uc?id=1r-c ... t=download

EDIT (2022-06-22):
If you'd like a version of this browser with the screensaver disabled, replace 1ST_READ.BIN with this:
[DC] Dream Passport (English) - 1ST_READ (NO SCREENSAVER).BIN

EDIT (2023-02-06):
If you'd like a version of this browser with the screensaver disabled, the initial VMU save/load screen skipped, and a custom VMU icon, replace 1ST_READ.BIN with this:
[DC] Dream Passport (English) - 1ST_READ (NO SCREENSAVER, NO SAVE-LOAD MENU, CUSTOM VMU ICON).BIN
(NOTE: Read instructions posted here before use.)
Last edited by ateam on Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: English-translated Dream Passport browser for translators who want to use it in their games.

Post#2 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:06 am

thank you this is awesome.
:)

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: English-translated Dream Passport browser for translators who want to use it in their games.

Post#4 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:31 am

I mean, you could also just use Dreamkey. In fact this is version 1 of Dream Passport whereas you could use Dreamkey 3 instead for a much more advanced English language variant on Dream Passport.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#5 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:28 pm

Roareye wrote:I mean, you could also just use Dreamkey. In fact this is version 1 of Dream Passport whereas you could use Dreamkey 3 instead for a much more advanced English language variant on Dream Passport.

I am not sure it's a 1:1 drop-in replacement for when a Japanese game is expecting the Dream Passport browser. If it's not, them some additional romhacking work could probably make it functional.

That being said, what I shared in this post is really only for displaying a simple webpage to the player so they can download saves, DLC, etc. with English translation patches. It certainly does that simple thing well.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#6 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:36 pm

Fair enough. Though you should be aware Dreamkey and Dream Passport are essentially the same thing. PlanetWeb is the only official browser to go off on it's own absurd and badly designed tangent. The only downside to Dreamkey 3 is that it doesn't support the BBA, but the version of Dream Passport you'll have found here won't do either.

While I know the browsers run on the same code, it is possible that dropping Dreamkey into that particular game wouldn't work. I'll be honest I don't know that side overly clearly. However code, assets and many other things are interchangable between Dream Passport and Dreamkey. -drez01- has had things like Dream Library (Exclusive to Dream Passport 3 and Dream Passport Premier) operating with Dreamkey with relative ease. Because they share a base code, many facets of each are interchangeable.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#7 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:59 pm

Roareye wrote:Fair enough. Though you should be aware Dreamkey and Dream Passport are essentially the same thing. PlanetWeb is the only official browser to go off on it's own absurd and badly designed tangent. The only downside to Dreamkey 3 is that it doesn't support the BBA, but the version of Dream Passport you'll have found here won't do either.

While I know the browsers run on the same code, it is possible that dropping Dreamkey into that particular game wouldn't work. I'll be honest I don't know that side overly clearly. However code, assets and many other things are interchangeable between Dream Passport and Dreamkey. -drez01- has had things like Dream Library (Exclusive to Dream Passport 3 and Dream Passport Premier) operating with Dreamkey with relative ease. Because they share a base code, many facets of each are interchangeable.

Ah, very interesting. So admittedly, there are things on both sides that both you and I are a bit unfamiliar with. While I can say that I'm definitely going to test out replacing DP with DK, I still feel that the existing English-language DP is more than sufficient for the fully offline features that are required for the DLC/VMU-save features that English translation patch developers like myself are looking for.

If I can use DK as a 1:1 drop-in replacement without having to modify any pointers or references in the original game binary, I will happily post those files to this thread. However, if the original game binary has to be modified for each game for which a patch developer wants to ship the bundled English browser, I will not. That level of effort is a case of "the juice ain't worth the squeeze," in my opinion. My feeling is that translation patch developers like myself would rather spend their hacking/development time on the core game itself rather than forcing an enhanced browser to function properly.

All of that being said, I wanted to sincerely thank you for the meaningful contribution to this thread. While I absolutely love giving back to this scene and seeing all of the "Thank you!" messages, I love it even more when I learn something new! Especially if it can help improve the work that I and others are doing.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#8 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:37 pm

Glad to be of help. What you're doing is genuinely awesome and I look forward to seeing more ^_^

I only know this because myself and -drez01- have been translating the Dream Passport browsers (Premier, 2 for LAN and 3 Urban) into English which includes me building some replacement graphics - however he used Dreamkey 3 assets to swap out most of the menus etc without much hassle. We'll be updating the forum here with our efforts on DreamArena 3 soon, but in the meantime I love seeing the work of others. Plenty of room in the community for creative and talented people to enhance the DC library in many different ways.

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#9 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:46 pm

Roareye wrote:Glad to be of help. What you're doing is genuinely awesome and I look forward to seeing more ^_^

I only know this because myself and -drez01- have been translating the Dream Passport browsers (Premier, 2 for LAN and 3 Urban) into English which includes me building some replacement graphics - however he used Dreamkey 3 assets to swap out most of the menus etc without much hassle. We'll be updating the forum here with our efforts on DreamArena 3 soon, but in the meantime I love seeing the work of others. Plenty of room in the community for creative and talented people to enhance the DC library in many different ways.

Oh damn, I didn't recognize your username, very awesome! Keep up the great work, buddy!

Together, we shall Keep the Dream Alive™...
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#10 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:50 pm

If you've seen me on Discord I'm under Cyberpunk Studios. If not then I've just been hiding lol