4XM KATANA SDK DVD QUALITY PLAY BACK ON DREAMCAST F9 TRAILER Incomparable video quality DVD quality

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ian Micheal
Developer

4XM KATANA SDK DVD QUALITY PLAY BACK ON DREAMCAST F9 TRAILER Incomparable video quality DVD quality

Post#1 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:48 am

New build of the 4xm video player codec from src using katana r11b

Code: Select all

- available for PC, MacOs, Dreamcast and Playstation 2*
- the fastest decompression on the market
- incomparable visual quality
high definition from low-end computers upwards
- compatible with all your developments
API C/C++, Xtra Director, ActiveX
4X Movie allows full screen display of your animated sequences
(video, cinema, computer generated, etc) with DVD quality and
even on low-end computers.
Speed
An unequalled decompression speed from the low-end machines and on any
medium.
Visual quality
Incomparable video quality
- DVD quality on a Pentium 166 MHz or a Imac at 25 fps
- high definition at 800x600 and 30 fps on any Pentium II
- high definition at 1024x768 at 50 fps on a Pentium II 600 MHz
- optimal quality at 640x480 and 60 fps on Dreamcast
- animated texture at 256x256 and 25 fps (less than 10% of CPU time on
Dreamcast or Pentium II)

fast saga f9 trailer still working best encoding :)

lag due to china capture it's perfect 1 /1 when watch on my tv

capture is 1280x720 of 640x480 dvd qualty using 4xm
Attachments
4xm.jpg

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: 4XM KATANA SDK DVD QUALITY PLAY BACK ON DREAMCAST F9 TRAILER Incomparable video quality DVD quality

Post#2 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:16 am

These are amazing times we are living in! So thrilled with these developments! Wow, could this be used in homebrew games for better quality videos? I assume not possible with retail games swapping out the FMV's with upscaled AI enhanced videos since the games wouldn't know how to use the format right? Or is this similar to game FMV format?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: 4XM KATANA SDK DVD QUALITY PLAY BACK ON DREAMCAST F9 TRAILER Incomparable video quality DVD quality

Post#3 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:22 am

Anthony817 wrote:These are amazing times we are living in! So thrilled with these developments! Wow, could this be used in homebrew games for better quality videos? I assume not possible with retail games swapping out the FMV's with upscaled AI enhanced videos since the games wouldn't know how to use the format right? Or is this similar to game FMV format?

Could only be used in homebrew games using offical sdk this is katana r11b ..

this is 4xm codec was also used on ps2

I was able to build a new bin to use with dreamon menu could be used with katana things like the webrowser for HQ videos or reviews or FAQ's

You know people dont like using katana kit for homebrew but i wanted to show the codec as it can use mov avi and mp3 and the tools work on windows 7 64 bit etc

not old tech mv1 or old mpeg like sfd

It's a shame this was not used in games and not the older sfd

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#4 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:32 am

I'm guessing code efficiency is the reason this is capable of higher quality video on DC than sfd etc?
If so is it possible it could potentially stream lower resolution video on DC Browsers in a way sfd couldn't? Or would the modem connection speed be too big an obstacle to do that with any video content?

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#5 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:40 am

Roareye wrote:I'm guessing code efficiency is the reason this is capable of higher quality video on DC than sfd etc?
If so is it possible it could potentially stream lower resolution video on DC Browsers in a way sfd couldn't? Or would the modem connection speed be too big an obstacle to do that with any video content?

I was thinking on disk loading of 4xm video files your taking 780kb a sec speed not even sure bba could cope with streaming this codec

i was more thinking on disk inside the browser for any on disk videos..

I can build it from src make changes to the play vidoe play bin etc

Just nice to see such HQ videos playing 4xm would been the future is what i think so much more advanced in features qualty and the tools as well they work on windows 7 64bit no windows 98 crap and old mv1 mpeg streams

it converted mpeg4 and mp3 quite modern when you think about it

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#6 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:47 am

Thank you Ian! That's awesome ^_^

My question on streaming was just curiosity, but it makes sense that streaming wouldn't be possible due to the speed of the modem. Having DVD quality video on DC will most definitely be a major plus!

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#7 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:09 am

Thanks Ian you've settled it for all time - Dreamcast > PS2 :p. What's the compression like in this format would a 2GB image be enough for a full length DVD movie?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#8 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:50 am

4xm has good compression and looks good on Dreamcast, but there is one significant drawback, the video takes a very long time to convert to this format

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#9 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:19 am

that looked good Ian. I was really into the trailer and forgot it was being played on a dreamcast!

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#10 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:29 pm

megavolt85 wrote:4xm has good compression and looks good on Dreamcast, but there is one significant drawback, the video takes a very long time to convert to this format

How long are we talking about ? No matter the time (can't be more than 1-2 hours for a full length ?) It's gonna be worth it :)