[v1.2 RELEASED!] New English translation project (Nakoruru: The Gift She Gave Me)

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Guimli
rebel
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy star online

Re: [v1.0 RELEASED!] New English translation project (Nakoruru: The Gift She Gave Me)

Post by Guimli »

Hello and thanks to all the team for the translation.

I think that Nakoruru also have an issue with Pal and scart cable. When the patch was launched I tried to run the game but I had a black screen after the Sega logo, I thought it was my gdemu image that had an issue.

After having the 50hz issue with cool cool toon pal/scart, I also tried Nakoruru with VGA and it worked well.

Am I the only with this issue?

ateam
Animated Violence

Re: [v1.0 RELEASED!] New English translation project (Nakoruru: The Gift She Gave Me)

Post by ateam »

Guimli wrote:I think that Nakoruru also have an issue with Pal and scart cable. When the patch was launched I tried to run the game but I had a black screen after the Sega logo, I thought it was my gdemu image that had an issue.
Interesting. If the game black screens, it's quite possible RGB is just outright not supported at all. If that's the case, I'm not sure I'll be adding support for it anytime soon. I'll likely take a look though, just because I can't help myself... haha.

EDIT: What kind of SCART cable are you using, by the way? If you can also try the retail NTSC-J version to see if it has the same behavior, that would be helpful.

Nakoruru - Ano Hito Kara no Okurimono v1.004 (2002)(Kool Kizz Amusement Works)(JP)[!].zip
https://archive.org/download/interludev ... %21%5D.zip
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

Guimli
rebel

Post by Guimli »

Ok, I will check tonight the Jap version.
My scart cable, is the official one that was with the french Dreamcast. I don't know how to describe it better :D

ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

Guimli wrote:Ok, I will check tonight the Jap version.
My scart cable, is the official one that was with the french Dreamcast. I don't know how to describe it better :D
Got it. Appreciate offering to test the Japanese original. Are you also able to test composite, by any chance?

EDIT: Tested in PAL mode using Demul, game seems to outright not support RGB, but I also have it fail on composite. Will await others testing to see if adding PAL RGB/composite support is in the cards.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

Guimli wrote:Ok, I will check tonight the Jap version.
Can you test this GDI to see if it works properly with your SCART cable?

NAKORURU_PAL_TEST_1 [GDI].zip
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... -3h_JjTOgg

Thank you.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

Guimli
rebel

Post by Guimli »

I will try it. Yesterday my PC had issues. I hope it works better today.

ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

Guimli wrote:I will try it. Yesterday my PC had issues. I hope it works better today.
Someone tested for me and it works!

Links updated in announcement post:
https://www.dreamcast-talk.com/forum/vi ... 10#p176510
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

Guimli
rebel

Re: [v1.1 RELEASED!] New English translation project (Nakoruru: The Gift She Gave Me)

Post by Guimli »

I can confirm, Nakoruru, the bonus disk and cool cool toon now work great on pal/scart.

Thanks again!

redjeff76
Anarki

Re: [v1.1 RELEASED!] New English translation project (Nakoruru: The Gift She Gave Me)

Post by redjeff76 »

I was just playing the newly translated to English version of Nakoruru. I am up to Chapter 2 now and WOW, what an interesting "game". I have never played anything like it. It's more of an unfolding story than a game. These "games" seem popular in Japan. But it is the 1st time I have ever been able to play one in English and it is quite unique and enjoyable. I hope ATEAM translates more of these types of Japanese Dreamcast "games". I am now a fan!

ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

redjeff76 wrote:I was just playing the newly translated to English version of Nakoruru. I am up to Chapter 2 now and WOW, what an interesting "game". I have never played anything like it. It's more of an unfolding story than a game. These "games" seem popular in Japan. But it is the 1st time I have ever been able to play one in English and it is quite unique and enjoyable. I hope ATEAM translates more of these types of Japanese Dreamcast "games". I am now a fan!
I'm so happy that you're enjoying it, and that it's exposed you to the world of visual novel adventures. Since this game genre is one you seem likely to explore further, I suggest hitting a search engine to look for popular visual novels for any of the game consoles you own (or don't own, and can play via emulation). There are numerous ones translated on classic consoles.

In the modern gaming world, Western appetite has certainly increased for VNs, and so officially localized games of this type can be found all over the place (Steam, Switch, etc.).

In terms of the Dreamcast, there are no other English-language VNs from the original retail game library, neither fan-translated nor officially localized, except for "Nakoruru".

My next Dreamcast translation project (already underway) is the first of the two "Love Hina" games, which doesn't exactly play like a VN, but certainly has some VN elements.

In the future, I'd like to tackle another visual novel adventure game on the Dreamcast, but they take a long, long time to complete!
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube