[request] Remove checks for DreamMovie VCD player?

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

[request] Remove checks for DreamMovie VCD player?

Post#1 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:16 am

So in my on going quest to find the best VCD player for DC, I've learned about the very rare DreamMovie VCD player which was released in Asia. Unfortunately, the software checks that you have the IR dongle inserted into the controller port. Furthermore, a special remote control is needed to operate the software and select which tracks to play, pause, ff-rw etc.

Would it be possible to hack the cdi to avoid the IR dongle check and implement controller support so that it can be used without the rare remote control? I remember a while back, megavolt85 hacked Dream Photo to allow for controller support (https://www.obscuregamers.com/threads/dream-photo-hunter.1871/)

Here's the software:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/a3oy0wkga8dqwjp/DreamMovie.cdi/file

Thanks!!
Last edited by dave_van_damn on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka DavidHK on DC games.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Re: [request] Remove checks for DreamMovie VCD player?

Post#2 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:09 pm

i have wanted the same mod to dream movie.

eventually when i get around to it, i will bundle an all in one archive / selfboot scripts for the dreamcast video players that allow multidisk. i.e dcdivx, gyplay, 4xm. (the selfboot scripts are for making a cdi with a movie and player on same disk)
it would be great if the dream movie bin could be modded to work to make selfboot disks that have the movie and player on the same cdi, but this does not work.
in order for your request to be completed, it will have to be by some1 that has skills like megavolt.
there might be others that are good at disassembly and modifying asm, but it is definitely a niche.

good luck and i hope the request is filled for you.
Last edited by SMiTH on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#3 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:23 pm

The Dreamcast had an IR dongle! :shock: First time I've heard of this. Paging @megavolt85 .......
Last edited by MoeFoh on Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:12 am

Yup! Check it out! Really cool and very early 2000's looking. :D

ateam
Heroine Console

Post#5 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:15 pm

Anthony817 wrote:Yup! Check it out! Really cool and very early 2000's looking. :D

Haha, check me out at the 14-second mark in that video! I've actually got two of these, as I'm a big VCD collector. People find that hobby strange, but whatever. I actually used my Dreamcast with the DreamMovie as my preferred way to watch movies up until about 2018, believe it or not. The nostalgia I have for this one is big!

I'm very busy with my current English translation project, so hopefully someone steps in and removes the IR receiver check routine. Would be very cool to see!
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#6 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:55 pm

ateam wrote:
Anthony817 wrote:Yup! Check it out! Really cool and very early 2000's looking. :D

Haha, check me out at the 14-second mark in that video! I've actually got two of these, as I'm a big VCD collector. People find that hobby strange, but whatever. I actually used my Dreamcast with the DreamMovie as my preferred way to watch movies up until about 2018, believe it or not. The nostalgia I have for this one is big!

I'm very busy with my current English translation project, so hopefully someone steps in and removes the IR receiver check routine. Would be very cool to see!

I remember back in the early 00s, Lik-Sang sold the VCD adapter for like $14. I massively regret not buying it!

I also have tons of VCDs - really hoping someone can hack Dream Movie!
aka DavidHK on DC games.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#7 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:36 pm

Somebody should start a 'go fund me page' so @megavolt85 can be paid to do it. His free time is limited and he's done so much for the community.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#8 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:44 pm

ateam wrote:

That's some of the best profanity I've heard in a long time! :lol:
- Charles Bukowski

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#9 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:34 pm

You can already find this with dongle protection removed by ECHELON released back in the day on "May 4th, 2001"...

I'll upload the CDI tomorrow...

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#10 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:52 pm

I upped it, but it's not DreamMovie. It does look like a retail version (XingHong VCD Player)!
Attachments
e-dcvcd.nfo.txt
(16.02 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Last edited by MoeFoh on Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
- Charles Bukowski